Do you think it will be a bad winter or...

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by GoatsRus, Oct 31, 2006.

1. GoatsRus

GoatsRus TMESIS

Sisterpine's posting got me thinking about this winter. I heard the weather channel predicting an early, but mild winter. So here's my question: We have numerous black walnut and hickory nut trees down by the river. Last year you couldn't walk down there without stepping on these nuts. I had an over abundance of both. This year, Nada. Not a one! Can't find any on the ground, nothing left in the trees. Do you suppose the squirrels took them all because it's going to be a BAD winter or did the trees not produce any this year because the winter will be so MILD? Whata ya think???

2. Aintlifegrand

Aintlifegrand Well-Known Member

hmmm...I don't know becasue last year ( which was very mild) we had hardly any Pecans and this year we have tons...my vote is on a very harsh winter.

3. A.T. Hagan

A.T. Hagan Guest

In Florida I think we'll get an early, but more or less mild winter and I HOPE more winter rains than we normally get seeing as how this is supposed to be an El Nino year.

.....Alan.

4. shar

shar Well-Known Member

Same As Goatsrus For Us Not A Single Acorn On All Our Oaks
    Here In Michigan.

Shar

5. SquashNut

SquashNut Well-Known Member

Looks like an extra cold one here in N. Idaho. Down to 13 here last night. Light amount of snow night before last. Year before the snow was 3 weeks later.

6. jessepona

jessepona Food Not Lawns :p

Not many acorns here in Indiana either, but I think this is because last year was a mast year and they haven't recovered from it. Still, I think the winter might be bad, its been colder than normal thus far...

7. tamsam

tamsam Well-Known Member

From the looks of the fur on all the animals here it is gonna be cold. The goats have a beautiful heavy coat, along with the dogs and all the other critters. This time last year we had already had an ice storm and snow, but wasn't that bad a winter. Another on my grand dad said was the closer to the ground the squirrel nest the colder the winter and what nest I have seen are closer than last year including the one just out the back door, maybe 25 ft off the ground. I sure hope the signs are wrong. Tamsam

8. hillsidedigger

hillsidedigger Well-Known Member

Acorns, dogwood berries, hickorynuts and persimmons are as abundant around here this year as about I have ever seen.

Thw wooly worms say mild winter.

9. Bret

Bret Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't have guess but I have noticed that some of the willy worms on the road are as big as hot dogs. You can spot them from a long way. I try to miss them when driving.

I have learned how to handle the snow and the few days of bitter cold. It's the mud that is my enemy.

10. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

Record cold in the Seattle area the last 2 nights - I can't ever remember a freeze this hard in Oct, where our barn water has frozen and we're breaking ice off the horse water tanks.

Driest/warmest summer here too, the best year for apples in the 10 years that I've had apple trees!

Really makes me wonder about the winter. Guess we better stock up!

11. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

Yep, 11 degrees at my house last night. Trick or Treating was AWFUL. And, we had a pipe freeze because the stupid heat tape didn't come on. Grrrr....
    Looking forward to the rain tomorrow (only because of warmer temps)

12. Melissa

Melissa member

We have already had snow twice in October, which is very early for us. I am thinking it might be colder than normal.

13. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

The nuts, berry and fruit trees are/were loaded this yr., the bees have socked away full hives of honey, the wildlife is 'working' over time....I vote for a harsh winter here in the NC Sandhills....QB

14. michiganfarmer

michiganfarmer Max Supporter

You mean warm and no snow? that is a bad winter. We havent had a good winter in 20 years

15. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

I'm expecting a cold winter. Not sure about the snow factor...normally a couple of weeks of bad (meaning snow) weather in this area. But I'm predicting a bitterly cold winter!

16. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

November Weather Lore

from http://www.egreenway.com/months/monnov.htm

A warm November is the sign of a bad Winter.

Onion skins very thin,
    Mild Winter coming in;

Onion skins thick and tough,
    Coming Winter cold and rough.

Flowers bloomin' in late Autumn,
    A sure sign of a bad Winter comin'.

As high as the weeds grow,
    So will the bank of snow.

Thunder in the Fall foretells a cold Winter.

17. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

Around our area, there are no pecans. First time in 16 years I haven't had pecans on my trees. We have been in a drought, and then the firestorm last Dec. blew lots of toxic smoke everywhere. All the pecans have dropped off. Even the squirrels are hunting. LOL. Will have to take some old ones out of the freezer for the little critters.

Ravenlost, that is a neat site !

18. HydroDude

HydroDude Active Member

Here in Eastern Washington/Northern Idaho, I am expecting a colder then normal winter but not much snow. Which means a continuation of the drought and extreme fire danger next summer.

19. happycat

happycat Well-Known Member

Hard to say. It was 11 here this morning, 12 yesterday, snowed on Sunday. Last Saturday it was 60 and I almost forgot it was October except for all the beautiful orange and yellow trees.

The horses aren't that fuzzy yet, and last year they were starting to get their winter coats in September. Local talk was that it was going to be real cold but I really have no idea.

20. shelljo

shelljo Well-Known Member Supporter

The buck we shot last weekend was sure loaded with fat. Now, I know rut is a couple of weeks away, but this guy was just loaded! So, I hope he had extra fat to get him through the winter.

And, we've had cold nights here too--in the teens, which is colder than normal.

I'd like a hard winter with lots and lots of snow. We need the moisture.