Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband and I went to the parents of a friend of one of our teenagers this afternoon. We had met the couple a few times at school fuctions but never been to their home. As we walked into the back door we noticed the pile of shoes and they instantly removed theirs. They casually said, you can put your shoes there. I pulled off my sandals and my husband (after giving me a "look") bent down to unlace his work boots and removed them. What was weird is, I never saw any carpet. Only a marble like floor and some hard wood sections. We sat and talked and we went home.

My husband and I discussed the whole taking your shoes off as guests, and we thought it is kinda uncomfortable to demand this of guests unless it's an obvious need, such as a very rainy and muddy day ....or possibly very white wall to wall carpeting. I mean think about it, what if your guest have a foot odor issue or a hole in a sock....how many of you have worn unmatching socks? I definally needed a pedicure today, and didn't enjoy walking around with my bare feet for all the world to enjoy the cracked toenail polish. My husband had worked all day in his boots, it was 90 something degrees all day, so he wasn't thrilled to remove his boots. They weren't dirty or muddy but his feet were worn for the day.
I think, if you must protect your floors, maybe offer a sitting area that doesn't require this request. Maybe even if that area is outdoors. We would have rather stayed outdoors, rather than to be asked to remove our shoes.

Am I wrong to feel this way? My husband agrees with me, but was wondering if any of you have this rule, for guests...not the kids or family members on a day to day basis. I kinda understand protecting the floor from daily wear from the family.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
This topic came up once before.
It's customary in my corner of the world to remove shoes upon entering the house.
Not mandatory, but it's expected.

·
Registered
2,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
moonwolf said:
This topic came up once before.
It's customary in my corner of the world to remove shoes upon entering the house.
Not mandatory, but it's expected.

I must not have saw it....sorry if it did, I probably forgot about it :) If it was customary here, I could understand it because you would know and prepare for it ahead of time. I have had friends who request this sometimes, but today I felt like it was totally expected....it wasn't requested but rather I was told to put them here.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Depends on the outdoor conditions and when I last washed the floors.

Since company here is rare, I usually tidy the house that little extra step, and typically ask them to remove their shoes. The company that does come here knows that is likely, so they are ready for it, and from here in it would be considerate of us as hosts to inform potential guests of this, just so they can prepare if need be.

When we go out somewhere, I make a point to have good socks on and sometimes throw a spare pair and slippers in the truck when visiting or travelling, it has paid off.

·
Perpetually curious!
2,749 Posts
When I didn't have young babies crawling around I was much more lax but I don't allow shoes in my house now.
Did you stop at a gas station on the way to my house? Maybe you stepped in some anti-freeze/oil/gas without realizing it. Did you walk across some grass that was recently sprayed with pesticides? How do you know? Etc. etc. etc.
I don't want that residue where my baby will crawl then stick their hands in their mouths.
I can't always control what they get into outside but I can control how much of a "safe zone" our home is.

·
Nohoa Homestead
5,398 Posts
Its really common for people in Canada to take off their shoes when they come in the house (probably because in the winter it's so sloppy there). The first time I went to MIL's house I was really surprized because I had never known anyone (in my whole life) who took off their shoes when they came inside.

Anyway, the way *they* handled it (with me, the cretin), was to say... "oh, if you didn't bring your slippers with you, I have an extra pair. Here, let me go get them for you". Which got the message across very tactfully.

Unfortuately, I can't stand wearing anything on my feet in the house, so I generally ran around barefoot while everybody else had their prissy slippers on. I'm sure they thought I was a real hick, but they have since learned to love me. LOL

donsgdal
it's late. I'm tired. Typos may exist.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
I go barefoot in the house in summer and slippers in the winter, and when I go to someone's house I usually slip my shoes off most of the time without thinking. But then I only go to a few people's homes and they are all family or close friends. Most of them take theirs off when they come into my home also, usually because they are afraid they might have a chunk of chicken poop or a cat turd stuck to their shoe. Or maybe mud. It's been awfully muddy all spring and sumer. :rolleyes: I let the poultry run the back property in the summer and all the property in the winter, and when people come they always want to go look at the chickens, and that means tromping in poo sometimes.

I take my workboots off out on the porch and leave them out there on a little shelf, shoes I slip off just inside the door and push them under a little chair out of the way. I don't have carpet or rugs anymore.

I don't specifically ask anyone to take their shoes off, unless they've got mud or grossness on them. And then I ask very timidly. I'm not like whatshername on the British comedy....Hyacinth.

·
Banned
2,134 Posts
Their house, their rules...Respect'em or do an about face and jet.

I don't see it as a big deal, but that's just me...Now if they'd asked ya to strip off the clothes when ya walked in, THEN I'd see a problem.

·
GO VOLS!!!!
310 Posts
TC said:
I must not have saw it....sorry if it did, I probably forgot about it :) If it was customary here, I could understand it because you would know and prepare for it ahead of time. I have had friends who request this sometimes, but today I felt like it was totally expected....it wasn't requested but rather I was told to put them here.
Dont worry about it I am curious about it to. Moonwolf was it really appropriate to bing up that fact?

·
Banned
2,134 Posts
Outlaw9 said:
Dont worry about it I am curious about it to. Moonwolf was it really appropriate to bing up that fact?
Was it inappropriate to bring it up? I did not read any hostility in Moonwolf's comment.

·
Premium Member
8,840 Posts
When me and my wife were married, on our honeymoon when Sunday came we found a church to attend. As we walked in, this man said to remove our shoes and put in a box. After church we went to the box and put our shoes on and left. :shrug: :shrug:

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
I think it's extremely rude to ask people to partially undress (even if it's only shoes!) before entering my home!

I don't expect them to remove their shoes. I expect them to use some consideration and common sense. If their shoes are covered in grease or mud or manure, off they come, but otherwise a wipe on the doormat will suffice.

Visitors to my son's place, however, are all asked to remove their shoes before entering. They have polished wooden floors which scratch easily. In winter, when those floors are freezing cold, I take a pair of slippers with me. I'm offended by it, but it's HIS home so I comply and say nothing. Same with anyone else like him.

The thing is to respect the house-rules of others as you expect them to respect your house-rules. Fair's fair. I find that tradesmen (builders, plumbers, electricians, gardeners) etc will almost always remove their workboots when coming into my home as a matter of course. I always thank them for their consideration. Courtesy goes a long way.

·
Premium Member
5,459 Posts
Well I have foot problems and cannot walk bare footed so I guess I would have to leave.

·
Keeping the Dream Alive
1,270 Posts
In our house it's natural, mainly because Chi was born in Japan, but nobody objects to removing their shoes when entering. Then again, at the entrance we have a large selection of house slippers for guests, if they want to wear them. Our daughters' friends say they think it makes them feel really welcome when they can kick off their shoes before coming inside.

More and more people around here are adopting the custom, some even going to the extent of having a polite little sign hanging by the door.

·
Very Dairy
14,609 Posts
I always take mine off when I go in my house, but I'd never expect or request it of a guest! :eek:

At other people's houses, I'll offer to take my shoes off, especially if they're dirty, and then do as the host or hostess bids.

I definitely don't need to mop as often here in the suburbs, with a paved driveway and manicured lawn!

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
The only reason I would ask someone to remove thier shoes would be to protect the shoes. We "live " in our house. We go from barn to house , garden to house. So do the dog and all 8 cats. There is always bits of hay and such on the floor. When I sweep it stays clean for about 5 minutes.
I do not mind removing my shoes for others though. Now mind you I would never wear my barn shoes to anyones house. Most people do not track into their house the type of stuff I do. When they clean they expect it to stay that way.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts