Do you take naps ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading and Retirement' started by ladytoysdream, Apr 15, 2017.

1. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

My daughter is a student and she takes what she calls coffee naps. Drinks a cup of coffee and takes a quick nap in the 15 minutes or so it takes the caffeine to hit her system and wakes up raring to go.

dsmythe likes this.
  2. Austin

Austin Administrator Staff Member

I do that too, but when I wake up from a full night and I'm still tired. I'll just go back to bed for the 20 minutes it takes for the coffee to hit my blood. That's usually how I start my weekends.

dsmythe and Lisa in WA like this.

3. CajunSunshine

CajunSunshine Joie de vivre!

I find that naps longer than 15 minutes leave me feeling groggy, so I set a kitchen timer to regulate my "power naps." Works like a charm for me and I wake up feeling refreshed.

Lisa in WA and dsmythe like this.
  4. Clem

Clem Realist

No naps here. There'll be plenty of time for laying around after I'm dead.

Hmmm, wonder if anybody's last thought was "I wish I'd took more naps" ?

Lisa in WA and dsmythe like this.
  5. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

I haven't got to that stage of my musing on the topic. I am still wondering what the person who first called death "the big dirt nap" was like.

I was reading a few years ago about the actress who play James Gardner's klutzy love interest in Support Your Local Sheriff was so fond of naps and sleep that when she passed away, she chose as her epitaph "Don't bother me. I'm taking a nap."

dsmythe likes this.
  6. pixiedoodle

pixiedoodle Well-Known Member

i nap involuntarily..usually while sitting up in the chair or the bed watching tv. sounds like good time for one right now...

dsmythe likes this.
  7. flewism

flewism Well-Known Member

I don't take naps, but 50% of the time I'll fall asleep watching TV and it doesn't matter what time of day.
    Now my wife does take a 45min, hour nap prior to us going out in the evening, so she must budget that time into her getting ready to go out time.

dsmythe likes this.
  8. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

Here I always thought GF spent 3 hours of the four hours she took getting ready to go out choosing dresses and shoes as I slept in her recliner waiting. Glad I now know we are both just catching pre outing Zs :)

dsmythe likes this.
  9. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

I would love to be able to nap but I have three children and endless farm chores

dsmythe likes this.
  10. Nom_de_Plume

Nom_de_Plume Active Member

In the summer I nap. But I live north of the 50th parallel so.....Animals are on daylight schedule which means I'm up pre 5am and have to stay up past 10:30pm to put animals to bed....if I don't grab a nap in the middle of the day I'm boned. In the winter I don't nap. But I do get a lot more sleep as it's dark by 4pm and doesn't get light til nearly 8 am.

dsmythe and melli like this.
  11. MichaelZ

MichaelZ Well-Known Member Supporter

Yes, I will take a 15 min nap if I can. Generally wake up at 3:30AM or 4AM from a sore shoulder, or if I sleep on my back, a dry mouth. So I get up, have devotions and prayer, and hopefully fall back asleep from 5AM -6AM. So I go to bed by 10PM so I can at least get 5-6 hours sleep in the event I can not fall back asleep.

Last night I slept 7 straight hours. First time in many weeks as I can not remember the last time I slept 7 continuous hours.

dsmythe likes this.
  12. melli

melli Otiose Endomorph

I have to nap, and I have no ailments, nor I have reached a particularly ripe age. I nap because about 20yrs ago I lost the ability to sleep 8-10hrs. I'm lucky if I get 5-6 a night. Obviously, with a short night's sleep, I have to make up for it in afternoon. I make it part of my schedule. Folks know they are not to disturb me between 2-5pm, although I only get a solid hour of sleep, I like the quiet time before and after. In summer, it is perfect, as it feels like I have two days in one, since it is light til 930pm. I then go outside and do chores until dark, have a late supper, then it is bedtime. It kinda sucks in winter...sometimes, I'll have to forgo my routine, as it is dark by 430pm.
    The question I have, is for those who don't take naps...do you get a solid 8hrs sleep at night?
    When I could sleep for a solid 8-10 hours, I had the energy to plow through a day, and then some...nap never crossed my mind.

Teej and dsmythe like this.
  13. emdeengee

emdeengee Well-Known Member

I have been known to doze off for a few minutes while watching TV because most of it is boring but I do not deliberately take naps. I find that a nap cuts into my night time sleeping by either not letting me fall asleep or waking me up hours early.

I don`t know if this is a general thing for men but my father and husband and brother-in-law are all the same and having asked some of my women friends I get the same answer. They doze off in their comfortable chairs and then when they wake up and you ask how was your nap they vehemently deny having ever been asleep. What is that all about

Teej and dsmythe like this.
  14. ladytoysdream

ladytoysdream Well-Known Member Supporter

Sounds like the man in this house. He sits down to watch TV and next thing I know he is taking a nap. I usually look
    at him now when he is in his chair before I try to start a conversation with him. No sense waking up grumpy.

dsmythe likes this.
  15. Micheal

Micheal Well-Known Member Supporter

melli to answer your question about not napping and getting 8 hours of sleep.... During my working career I seldom got more than 4-5 hours of continuous sleep - worked 3-11 shift, home by 11:30 or so asleep by 1:30 up before 6.
    Now that I've been retired for almost 10 years I go to bed after 11pm and get up somewhere between 5:30-6am.
    As posted earlier sometime after 10:30 or so I will doze off in the chair and suddenly awake only to go to bed... but during day-light hours no naps for this guy....... one exception a few years ago I was sick (very sick) and I slept off and on for 3 days. :eek:

dsmythe likes this.
  16. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

Take a siesta before the fiesta!

dsmythe likes this.
  17. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I had to think about this today. I ate my Lunch was going to watch a Soap Opera with my wife then Mow Grass.

I feel to sleep after Lunch as normal. Woke after the Soap Opera was over. Found I needed to go to town and get Mower Blades.

My wife took me. I asked her if she was Mad about me taking a nap? No it is normal with you anymore.

She thinks I sleep 16 hours a day. ok she may be right but like she says if I'm busy I stay at it and I have no problem getting up early if I want to.

big rockpile

dsmythe likes this.
  18. chindian

chindian Member

I rarely take a nap unless I 've had a gruelling day. But I work a day job and usually get 8 hours a night.
    Now that the kids are old enough, stay-at-home hubby does take naps a couple times a month. We joke that he doesn't know how to take it slow or take a break- he only has an On and Off switch. On when he's upright, off when he's flat on his back.

melli and dsmythe like this.
  19. lmrose

lmrose Well-Known Member

We eat our main meal of the day at noon. I do the dishes and then take a short nap of about a half hour. Now I have convinced my husband to do the same. We are up at day light no matter how early day light is and work hard. That nap revives us and gives us energy until we go to bed by 8 :pm. Without that little nap I would be washed out by 6:00pm and asleep; then awake at 3:00am!

dsmythe likes this.
  20. Farmerjack41

Farmerjack41 Active Member

Started the bad habit, several years ago of taking a nap, mostly in the summer. Get up every morning at day light and stay out till dark. When haying usually get up at 2 AM, and check for dew so maybe can bale. Park the motor home at the farm when haying, so can run the AC and cool it down to sleep. Out there usually nap right after lunch. If at the house try to nap about 11 AM, unless I have someone coming to pickup produce. Try not to schedule mid day having someone coming by. Most of the naps are 1 1/2 or 2 hours. Have a hard time breaking the habit during the winter.

dsmythe likes this.