Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted the following as a response to another person's problem with dizziness and decided I would post it for all of the migraine sufferers who visit this board. In trying to find a solution to my dizziness, I found help with my migraines! Here is my post:

Do you suffer from migraines? I ask this because about three months ago I experienced extreme dizziness. Not when I was having headaches, but when I was wearing headphones and then after that intermittently. It was so bad I would have to go to bed and felt sick to my stomach. I would not have a migraine at the time of the dizziness, but one would occur within a day after. My headaches were occuring about three days out of every week back then. I started researching on the internet and ran across this book, Heal your Headache on Amazon.com..

http://www.amazon.com/Heal-Your-Hea...84612670&sr=8-1

I figured with 183 reviews and a five star rating it would be worth a try. I am now down to 1 headache every two weeks, and rarely lasting more than a day. I have been following the diet and instructions from this book for the last two months. The dizziness is completely gone. I can't guarantee it won't ever come back, but I am pleased with the results. The author is a neurologist. A lot of this is following a strict diet and then adding foods back in one at a time. I had heard about food elimination before, but had only tried eliminating a handful of items. This allows whatever other trigger foods you have to continue causing headaches and you can never pinpoint the problem. His solution is to eliminate all possible triggers and then add foods in. It seems daunting at first, but is doable. Warning, many prepackaged foods are not on this diet. Neither is eating out. You can see the diet and read about the book at this website:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/...storyId=5364970

Oh, and my CHRONIC neck pain is gone too as long as I stay on the diet. I used to daily use a heat pad on my neck. I think I have only had it out once in the last two months.

I don't know if this will help you, but you might give it a shot.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Link didn't work :confused:. Sounds interesting though. I can't have MSG in food and nearly all processed food has MSG, its a favor enhancer so that is why they put it in.
Soy Sauce is a natural MSG and I use it all the time for favoring, it doesn't give me migraines but the other does.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
38,476 Posts
Yes, I have migraines, but not nearly as many as I used to. Before "the change" they were hormone related. Then, I went through a flurry of really bad frequent migraines with no apparent cause.

I've tried pretty much everything, and I even bought the book you recommend. Unfortunately, I don't do all the shopping and cooking, so I was not able to follow the diet recommendations.

It seems that the number and severity of my migraines has lessened as I age. Thank goodness!

I think everyone has different triggers, and you are on the right track figuring out what your triggers are.

The best of luck to you!
Rose

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MysticDream, just go to Amazon.com and type in Heal your Headache. It is the first link. You can also read the reviews there.

Rose, I have had these headaches for 15 years, through the change and all. I was hopeful that would make a difference, but I went through it 10 years ago, at age 39. You are right that if you can't follow the diet the book won't help. The diet is very frustrating as so many foods are eliminated, but when I started having relief from the headaches I soon quit complaining!! LOL I do have to fix regular meals for my husband, but I just leave stuff out of mine. For instance when I make tacos, his hamburger gets taco seasoning, mine gets garlic salt. I bought Farmland All Natural Ham and bacon for me (no nitrates, nitrites, preservatives) and regular ham and bacon for him and our daughter when she is over.

I am happy for you that yours have diminished with age. My mother is 77 and now has them daily! They run in my family unfortunately. My daughter was diagnosed with them at age 4. I really didn't think the book and diet would make much difference, as bad as my headaches were and as long as I have had them. I just pray every day that they stay two weeks apart!!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts