Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We discovered last year that there are three in our area. The closest one only 15 minutes away. What a bang from the past!! The last time I went to one I was a kid and our family went to see the Legend of Boggy Creek.

So last night DH, DD and I packed up the van and went. Gates opened at 7 pm, but rumor said to get there early. We got there at 5:30 and lucked out and was number 3 in line. Cooked up chicken fingers beforehand, and we ate dinner while we waited in line.

We saw two movies. Ratatioulle (wicked cute movie) and Pirates of the Caribian 3 (also a great movie). And all it cost was $12 bucks!! $5 an adult and $2 for DD. What a deal!!!

Packed soda, juice, cheese puffs, beef jerky...................we had a great time!!

The downside is that by the time Pirates ended it was 2:30 am. It's a two and a half hour movie.

·
Registered
940 Posts
One is within 15 minutes and the other is a 35 minute drive.. But I did notice they were 7 dollars a head.. Bit much to sit in my vehicle..
Now days we just wait til the movie hits dvd and rent it.

·
Registered
362 Posts
We have one about 15 minutes away. 2 adults & 2 kids are $25. NO bringing food or drink in, new policy started last year. Its the only way we can see first run movies on a big screen. 2 year olds are not quiet and we can't afford a babysitter. We usually only see the first movie playing and we usually get home at 10:30 or 11pm. Of course the earlier it gets dark, the earlier we get home.

·
Registered
271 Posts
I have two in my area, both charge $10/per car. If I go to a theatre to watch a movie, it's a drive in theatre. I am always checking to see when they are showing good cartoons for the girls to watch. It is 10 times easier than going to an indoor theatre. :)

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
We've always wanted to take DD, but with her disability didn't know how she would react. Most often when she is in darkness, she thinks its bed time. So she falls asleep. So we thought the drive in would be a good take. If she fell asleep, oh well, its only $2 and our van is big enough to spread blankets and that on the floor for her to snooze.

I did feel like we definitly got our money's worth, if not more.

Yikes! Not being able to bring your own food. I think that is part of the fun of a drive in.

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
We live a few minutes away from a drive-in theater. Despite living so close to it for over 30 years, I've only been there once, and saw Who Framed Roger Rabbit? when it came out (that tells how long ago it's been!)

·
Registered
165 Posts
We have one about 15 miles away and another about 35 miles away. The closest one is now $8 per person. I don't know what the other one charges now. No bringing food into either one, you have to get sandwiches etc at the concession stands. The last movie I saw at the drive in was Mel Gibson's The Patriot, so you can tell it's been awhile.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
There is one in AR that we must go to every time we visit family. I'd not been to one before that and the first time we went my niece was hysterical about the really low cost of concessions - she wanted to buy 'lots' of everything. lol I think it's $4 for adults if I remember correctly. We've seen several bad movies through the years (Tomb Raider), my cousin brought her beagle for one who kept howling throughout the entire movie (Finding Nemo) but we can't not go.

·
Premium Member
1,120 Posts
there was one when i was a kid, it was a 45 minute ride over rough roads but i loved it, pictures 30 feet high and speakers on the window, that was cool. we went when we could and i only remember a couple movies, Captian Nemo the '72 version of king kong well only 2 right now. it shut down when an inside theater opened near by.

dean

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.