Do you sneak food home from buffets?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Stickywitch, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Stickywitch

Stickywitch Well-Known Member

I just had to ask this one.
    My last thread on dog bones made me think of this weekend at the Royal Fork.

2. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

Did you mean for people or for your dogs?

3. hairy_shemp

hairy_shemp Member

fork that no forking way

4. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

We do not intentionally take extra food to take home for any reason. But, having kids means they sometimes bring something to the table that they do not finish, thus we will bring that home for the dogs.

5. Stickywitch

Stickywitch Well-Known Member

Either, Or...Katlupe.

:haha: hairy_shemp.

6. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

No, I wouldn't.

Reminds me of when DH and I were dining out with my soon to be FIL and his female companion. I about died of embarressment when the woman emptied the container of Sweeten Low packets on the table into her purse right in front of me. She saw nothing wrong with it. Said they were "for the road". With that attitude I was glad she didn't steal the silverware as well.

I don't leave anything out that might be "for the road" when she visits.

7. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

I can honestly say that the thought of taking food home from a buffet never entered my mind!

Where in the world am I going to carry it anyway?

Wouldn't it be the same as taking food home from a dinner party without the hosts permission? I'd say it was rude.

8. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

I think when a buffet says "all you can eat" it rather implies "while you're in the restaurant," not "for the next week or so..."

And I think stuffing your pockets is theft.

9. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

definitely theft...I would not date a guy again if he took the whole shebang "for the road" or food from the "all you can eat" buffet. I've trained my kids not to try it, either.

10. Fairywings

Fairywings Member

I have to admit that I have wraped leftover pizza crust and meat slices in a napkin to take home for the dogs. It's my food that I payed for so why not?

11. Mike in Ohio

Mike in Ohio Well-Known Member

If it's a bone I might ask if it is ok to bring it home for our dog.... sometimes they say yes and sometimes they say no. I wouldn't sneak it though. That's just me.

Mike

12. tallpines

tallpines Well-Known Member

"Thou shall not steal"

"It's my food that I payed for so why not?"

At a "All you can eat buffet" You paid for the food you can eat at that time.
    You DID NOT pay for any of the food left uneaten..........or any food to be eaten at a later date or time.

If it were okay to take home whatever is left on your plate........people would begin piling their plates even higher.........to be sure there were leftovers to take home.

Its not only RUDE--it's stealing------and its a sin.

13. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

i could never

14. Torch

Torch Well-Known Member

In the piney woods of the great state of Texas.
    Stealing food? Nope, not my cup of tea.

15. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

From a Buffet,no I wouldnt.But since its been mentioned,i think taking the bones is OK,I did pay for and eat it all,we humans dont really eat bones at dinner.So why not?But I guess i would ask the manager just so nothing embarrassing happens at the door.If refused,I would tell him he lost my further business,not that hometown buffet would care I imagine.I mean,come on,its trash at that point,why would anyone care?

BooBoo

16. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Not from a buffet. If I'm not very hungry I'll order a regular portion on a plate and get a take home container from the waitress or split a meal with DD.

17. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

I never have... but my ex was famous for taking steak knives...

and then... one night.. i watched an old lady... we were at a sizzler in calif... she was having the salad buffet which includes taco makings and pizza, etc... she had a big old purse and i watched containers and baggies go in and out of that purse the whole time she was eating... I would say she prolly took enough food to feed her for the next two days sparingly...

I said something to the manager and he said he knows about it.. she comes in twice a week.. and with the senior discount, her meal was about $7 total.. The manager felt like what she took amounted to no more than what he would throw away at the end of the day and didnt want the woman to go hungry...

Now, I know this wasnt right, but because the manager knew and was handling it his way.. i figured i had done my duty.. and i hoped that her family would finally step in and take care of her someday...

Lynn in Texas and Reno in a week

18. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I think the only thing I have snuck were the cookies, or muffins. I try not to go to all-you-can-eat, anymore, since I'm a food addict. But I like to remember when!

19. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

old people by themselfs haveing to do that it breaks my heart

20. Fla Gal

Fla Gal Bunny Poo Monger Supporter

The way I was taught is "Take all you want but eat all you take, no leftovers." I believe most people wouldn't intentionally overload a plate with food they know they won't be able to eat at the time (I don't) but I do believe taking the bones isn't wrong.