Do you slop?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by snoozy, Sep 21, 2004.

How do you feed your pigs?

1. We slop with soaked hog ration

2. We free-feed with dry hog ration in a feeder

3. We do both

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you slop your pigs or free-feed dry hog ration, And what are your reasons?

2. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

I don't do either but voted for free feed. I feed twice a day. When I have a lot of kitchen scraps I have let it soak and they LOVE that stuff, but I can't do it often; just don't have it much. I feed the way I do because I prefer to feed a swine ration. I've experimented with different rations and with mixing my owngrains. When the feed is off I can tell something is up by the condition of their coat or their hunger... and I can correct it. I wouldn't mind feeding bread, veggies, and kitchen scraps more often but I don't have them that often.

3. Siryet

Siryet In Remembrance

We free choice feed a special formula so our hogs grow faster and therfore use less feed. 3to1 conversion is supposed to be ideal, (I have heard this)

we eat at least one of our hogs so we want to get them right.

We have the formula mixed locally and store in 55 gal plastic drums. We also keep water available 100% of the time and let the hogs waller in their own mud hole.

4. snoozy

snoozy Well-Known Member Supporter

When you free feed the dry ration, how much waste is there? I soak their food (organic hog ration with whatever scraps we have) and slop them twice a day with that, and still they tend to get food all over. I know, I know -- they're pigs!

5. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

neither, they free range on grubs and weeds and then get a daily treat of corn to train them to the paddock, where they get their last meal, when the freezer is low

6. Tracy in Idaho

Tracy in Idaho Well-Known Member Supporter

The 4-H pigs get dry free-choice hog feed only. Them's the rules.

Our own pigs get rolled grain soaked in goat milk. We just keep a big barrel going, and let it get good and stinky and dip it out of there (with a hand over your face to keep from gagging :)) The pigs love it, and we have as good or better rate of gain on it. Dirty eggs and scraps get tossed in too.

Tracy

7. boolandk

boolandk Well-Known Member

Our pigs receive a ground custom mix fed dry twice daily and all the scraps we happen to have. Yesterday I finished cleaning out the garden so they had a generous portion of tomatoes, corn stalks, and sunflowers. I think they like sunflowers the best.

8. highlands

highlands Walter Jeffries Staff Member Supporter

How about we do neither?

We pasture in the warm weather and feed hay in the winter. A bit of garden gleanings plus a little waste bread from the bakery but that is mostly for training and not a significant amount.

This may change when we get a cow or two and have extra milk to feed the pigs.

Cheers,

-Walter
    in Vermont

9. carolinabear

carolinabear New Member

We mostly slopped our hogs. We would buy corn three ways whole, cracked and crushed. mostly crush we would ad water to it till it looked liked soupy oatmeal and the add all the scraps from the house. left over veggies from the garden we just put in the feed area and let them get what they wanted. Allot of our corn came from the fields though. we had corn fields on two side of us every year. My dad talk to the farmer of the fields and after he harvested all his corn we would talk the garden tractor with the wagon and go throught the feilds picking up missed ears of corn. We'd spend weeks doing this. The farmer actully liked us doing this cause it cut down on corn going in his soybeans the next year.