Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you sell on ebay? What works? How do you find stuff, sell it and send it.

I've just started but there always seems to be more questions I have.

Like, how do you put the thing on your sales so people can figure out how much postage is from their zip code. That's not priority mail, but what is it called?

If you were going to just set a flat rate for a non priority mail package, do you figure out the most expensive zip? Would that be Alaska for me?

·
Registered
262 Posts
I don't sell right now, but we used to run a "Sell it on ebay" business from our home. The hot ticket items were usually stuff that you could find at estate sales or at thrift stores. Older toys in good condition i.e. Fisher Price Little People, strawberry shortcake, etc.. are great sellers. Brand name clothing in lots can bring in some extra cash, antique farm equipment that you can find back east seems to sell well.

You need to look up a shipping calculator online and then import it into your auction if you want. I always used Parcel Post unless someone wanted to pay extra for priority. I liked giving the person the option of spending less money if they wanted to. The way you can save yourself on shipping fees is to add 1/2 to 1 ounce on the weight of your items and that always worked for us. I hated overcharging on anything since the whole point was to get something at a bargain.

Big items we would charge a flat fee including a packing fee, that way you are reimbursed for your efforts and your time.

I hope I helped a little bit. You are welcome to PM me if you have any questions big or small!

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
It's probably best to sell something that you know about. We sell mostly books and religious goods - that's what we know about.

As far as shipping by US mail, you basically have 3 options: first class, media, or priority. First Class can be used for items less than about 13 ounces. You can use media mail to ship books, CD's, and DVD's. It's the cheapest option but also the slowest. Priority mail would be used for any non-media over 1 pound. When you list your item, you can insert a set mailing fee for first class or media (same rate for anywhere in the US) including any handling fee or you can click on Priority and choose a weight range. Then you add your handling fee. The program will determine the cost of shipping and show it to your potential buyers based on their zip. Hope that makes sense! PM me if you have any other questions!

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Natalie11 said:
You need to look up a shipping calculator online and then import it into your auction if you want. I always used Parcel Post unless someone wanted to pay extra for priority. I liked giving the person the option of spending less money if they wanted to. The way you can save yourself on shipping fees is to add 1/2 to 1 ounce on the weight of your items and that always worked for us. I hated overcharging on anything since the whole point was to get something at a bargain.
Natalie - the shipping calculator is now part of the ebay listing program. Makes things a lot easier!

Parcel Post is another option. With Priority, you can use the Priority shipping boxes which the PO will deliver direct to your house. For Parcel Post, you have to furnish a box. On lower weight items, there is usually not a lot of difference in the shipping price but it is a good idea for heavier items.

·
Registered
1,894 Posts
I have been selling for years. I can tell unless the object is heavy, then Priority is the most preferred method of mailing for both the seller and buyer. For the seller, Priority boxes are free and you can even get them sent to you free from the post office. Plus it gets to the buyer quicker and if you purchase your postage through the USPS.com site or Paypal, you get free Delivery Confirmation. That way no one can say, Hey I didn't get this package! For the buyer, the same thing...it gets there is a few days.
For heavy items I use UPS. I purchase the postage online and ask for a pickup. :)
When you list your items it will give you a section to add in the weight of the item as well as handling charges you which to include. Since I use the post office boxes, I don't add in handling and this seems to gain more customers. They like that I am not 'overcharging' them. I figure I made my handling when I sold my unwanted item already. :)
As far as stuff, sometimes when I am out at the thrift stores and yard sales I will occasionally see things that are cheap that I know will resale well and purchase them. I do not however devote time in doing that, I have too many kids! LOL For now I just sell unwanted items me, my family or friends don't need that have some value.
This year is a good year for us on Ebay. We will claim our sales on our taxes cause we are making quite a bit. Usually since I am not an avid seller I would make less than $1000 a year. This year has been very good for us. Mostly we have sold the years of various car parts our family had amassed. :)
God Bless,
Michele

·
Waterfowl hobbyist
304 Posts
Another popular way to sell is using Craigslist, you don't have the fees associated with ebay.

giffy

------------------

·
Registered
69 Posts
A lot of sellers who have been on Ebay for years are switching to fixed-price stores at Ecrater.com, which is Free! Then all you have to do is promote your store.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
It seems like there is 2 sellers for each buyer now. I switched to epier.com and loved it for a while. Then I kind of drifted away from selling. Listing is free at epier, no fees unless you sell something. That really saves a lot of money. I was listing about 300 items a month and the listing fees at ebay got to be to much so I totally quit selling there. Another thing I like at epier is that if you sell duplicate items, you can set your listing to automatically re-list when it expires or sells. That saves a lot of work. I hadn't heard of Ecrater.com, I'll check that out, it may be something I need to get involved in.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts