Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my brother is house sitting for a friend for 4 months. so happens this friend has a incubator and some layers.. we asked if we could use the incubator while hes gone. and he said yes !

so we popped about 60 eggs in yesterday. both from his layers and my layers. and collecting more to put in monday.. it can hold about 200 so thats what we are going to fill it with.

im planning on selling the newly hatched chicks. but my question is .. how much do i sell them for ? their just little mixes.

i got both chicken and duck eggs in the incubator currently.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
You might want to check with your state to see if you are required to have a permit to sell live chicks. My state requires it from what I've read. No doubt people do it all of the time without the permit, but why invite trouble. As for price, it depends on your market and the demand.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You might want to check with your state to see if you are required to have a permit to sell live chicks. My state requires it from what I've read. No doubt people do it all of the time without the permit, but why invite trouble. As for price, it depends on your market and the demand.

i cant find anything about my state with live chicks.. i found that i can sell processed birds and rabbits (up to 1000 a year.) with no permit, just not cows, goats, sheep, and hogs.

im not really planning for farmer market sales , as ours are still very strict in the area. if we get to have them at all.. probably just going to do a meet and sell thing. though when the farmer markets finally do start back up.. im excited to get a spot and sell rabbits and chicks there !

·
Registered
97 Posts
I sell them for $5, or 4 for $15. Ducks and chicks are hard to incubate together because of the humidity requirement, but I do it and sometimes it works! I use Craig’s list in the farm section. I use the heading “backyard chicks”, seems to attract suburbanites. Lol

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,335 Posts
I used to have rare breeds and sold them for $10 each, give or take. $20 if I knew they were pullets.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does this incubator automatically turn the eggs, and adjust the heat/humidity like required ?
it turns auto . and has a heat knob. and a you put a bucket of water with sponges in the top . been keeping right around where it needs to be. this is very new to me and my brother. its kinda a experiment... but i hope it works out for us :)

How are you going to deal with staggered hatch?
honestly .. no idea.. this is the first time we ever done this.as soon as they hatch , the plan is to sell them .. and if it takes a few days. they will have a brooder to be housed in till they do sell.

·
Premium Member
27,907 Posts
Ohio does not require permits to sell chicks or ducklings. The only requirement is that you sell a minimum of 6 and they cannot be dyed.

Near the bottom

Good luck with your chicks. You might have a hard time selling mixed breeds but ducklings should sell well. Look at the local Tractor Supply or Rural King to see what they charge.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ohio does not require permits to sell chicks or ducklings. The only requirement is that you sell a minimum of 6 and they cannot be dyed.

Near the bottom

Good luck with your chicks. You might have a hard time selling mixed breeds but ducklings should sell well. Look at the local Tractor Supply or Rural King to see what they charge.

thank you for that link ! i was looking and just couldnt find the info.

the friend has a rare breed rooster, but 3 other roosters to go with his 11 layers. so who knows what will come out of those.
and i have a rooster that throws babies with afros. which i find adorable. fluffy bell-bottom legs and afros. i have no idea what breed my chickens are. but they are good layers. so thats all that ever mattered to me. ill probably sell them for about $4 each as tractor supply sells them for 4.50 and the ducks probably $7 each as rural king sells them for 7.98 my brother wants to sell them for way more. as we did incubate them ourselves .. but why would you buy from us, if you can go get cheaper ones from the store !? .. hmm

·
Sock puppet reinstated
25,394 Posts
Do you know how to determine their sex? Most straight run chicks of mixed breeds go for lower than the going price in an area. Then again if they hatch in time for easter, it just might be an easy sale no matter the breed.

·
Premium Member
27,907 Posts
I sold Muscovy ducklings at a high price. You couldn't get those from a store. I made a lot of money selling Muscovys, spent a lot of money feeding them too. I think I broke even, considering they lay a maximum of 4 clutches a year and the parents had to be fed through the winter.

I miss my ducks but not the work they required.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Do you know how to determine their sex? Most straight run chicks of mixed breeds go for lower than the going price in an area. Then again if they hatch in time for easter, it just might be an easy sale no matter the breed.

i know how others sex them .. i though , dont know how to put it into practice. for the most part i can guess pretty much just by looking at their head. at about a week or 2 . depending on the breed... for the ones my broody hatched out , i knew i had 3 boys and 2 girls from week one . 2 had afros , and 3 looked like their dad. lol. a Easter sale would be easy , but people just buy them for their kids to squeeze the life outta. i rather sell them to people who are actually going to use them for something.. either it be meat, or eggs. or show... or what ever. i mean i know i cant control what people do with their birds after bought. but i can hope at least. lol

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I sold Muscovy ducklings at a high price. You couldn't get those from a store. I made a lot of money selling Muscovys, spent a lot of money feeding them too. I think I broke even, considering they lay a maximum of 4 clutches a year and the parents had to be fed through the winter.

I miss my ducks but not the work they required.

i have a little mix . bad part of buying them from a store, they will have them labled differntly then what they are.
i got 16 in total , i have quite a few boys i need to send to freezer camp , but i got lets see...
4 mallards (3 girl 1 boy)
2 black polish (both girls)
4 idk breed. their white and cream (3 girls 1 boy)
2 pekin (1 girl , 1 boy)
4 indian runners (all boys)

people would stop at my house and ask if i wanted more ducks... and just . give them to me... i started with 8 ducks and doubled over the fall because of that.

·
Premium Member
27,907 Posts
I hear you about the free ducks. Our last 3 rabbits were given to us.

Just advertise them as mixed breed ducks and hope they don't come back to you in the fall. For 9 females you should keep 2 males max. I would eliminate the runners and the pekin males but I don't like runners or Pekins.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I hear you about the free ducks. Our last 3 rabbits were given to us.

Just advertise them as mixed breed ducks and hope they don't come back to you in the fall. For 9 females you should keep 2 males max. I would eliminate the runners and the pekin males but I don't like runners or Pekins.
as soon as the weather gets better ill be sending some of those boys to the freezer. i would have done it sooner. but i was working and didnt have time to squeeze it in. im not keeping those runners.. their so small... and VERY skittish. i wanna keep my mallard . and one of the white cream boys i got .. ive read pekins are the meat ducks , and if not used for meat, develop liver failure . so wont be keeping the pekin boy either.

im also planning on getting rid of my rooster and find a smaller breed. the rooster i have right now hes HUGE.. comes up to my knee , if not past it when hes standing tall. hes very intimidating. my chickens are fenced off from the rest of the yard , because if not, they would be on my porch , and i dont want that big ol rooster stalking me at the window ! lol

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,335 Posts
i know how others sex them .. i though , dont know how to put it into practice. for the most part i can guess pretty much just by looking at their head. at about a week or 2 . depending on the breed... for the ones my broody hatched out , i knew i had 3 boys and 2 girls from week one . 2 had afros , and 3 looked like their dad. lol. a Easter sale would be easy , but people just buy them for their kids to squeeze the life outta. i rather sell them to people who are actually going to use them for something.. either it be meat, or eggs. or show... or what ever. i mean i know i cant control what people do with their birds after bought. but i can hope at least. lol
You could raise or produce auto-sexing breeds and know the males from hatch based on their different colored down. But then you have to decide what you want to do with dozens of male chicks.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You could raise or produce auto-sexing breeds and know the males from hatch based on their different colored down. But then you have to decide what you want to do with dozens of male chicks.

i honestly didnt know about auto sexing chicks.. hmm .. and what to do with the dozens of males. well can raise them for meat. or just .. end them when their found to be male.

i know this one lady who if she has male chicks, she would drown them D: ... you think wacking them with the handle of a screwdriver would be better , but she says she cant handle it .. idk how she handles the drowning...

·
Registered
Acta non verba
1,335 Posts
You might be able to find people who raise reptiles and use dry ice/carbon dioxide for the mass culling part.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts