Do you say Cougar/Puma/Mountain Lion or ?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by moonwolf, Jan 27, 2005.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

In Canada, or at least here in Ontario, we would call it a .......Cougar.

2. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

3. babetteq

babetteq Well-Known Member

Us BC'ers also say Cougar..... although I've heard the odd one say 'mountain lion'... could be they were a transplant from a 'mountain lion saying' place.

babs

4. Dawndra

Dawndra I'm back

in IL it's cougar.

5. coventry49

coventry49 Well-Known Member

South Central Montana, foothills of the Beartooth
    We use a bunch of terms around here (southern Montana). Cougar, lion, mountain lion, or even just "cat".

6. Lt. Wombat

Lt. Wombat Well-Known Member

Here we call them SSS (shoot, shovel & shut up) targets.

But they are officially called Mountain Lions

7. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

Usually hear them called cougars or big cats, but my Dad called them painters. I'm not sure where that came from.

8. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

Mountain lions. Have heard a few call them big cats.

9. DayBird

DayBird Big Bird

Depending on which source you think is most current the genera this species is placed in is [/I]Felis. The specific name is concolor. Technically, from a biologists standpoint, the common name should be cougar. Every locallity has it's own common name for them though. Usually, around here, they're called "panther" although that is completelly incorrect. People also say that they still see them. They like to think that they're solid black, refering to them as a "black panther" even though there is no documented evidence of there ever being a melanistic mutant of Felis concolor. Even last Summer our landlord saw one walking through our yard that is fenced. Our Pyr was apparently asleep on the porch. All of the neighbors have seen this elusive cat that prowls the woods here...but us. The last wild, documented cougar in Alabama was in 1946 when a St. Clair County farmer shot one near Ashville.

I've also heard dear tiger, catamount, Indian Devil, and painter all trying to refer to the cougar.

10. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

mountain lion. they say they don't exist, but my son saw one with two cubs near my old house about 5 years ago.

whoever said someone calls them "painter", that is the mountaineer's way of saying "panther." :)

11. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

We get mountain lions here.

BooBoo

12. Big country

Big country Well-Known Member

Call it what you want, but I'd sure like to go hunting for one.

13. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

In Arizona we called em mountain lions, here in North Idaho they're cougars.

14. OD

OD Well-Known Member

We call the black ones panthers, & most of them that are seen around here are black, although some "experts" say that black ones don't exist. We call the tan ones cougars.

15. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Don't you find it interesting that in all of these years since the camera has been in existance and that wildlife experts and rangers have been in the field, that not one.. I repeat, not one, photo or sighting has ever been made of a cougar that is anything but just what it's name implies? Felis concolor.."cat of one color".

It's well known by those who are studying and tagging these cats that their range is extending here and there in the East as the deer population expands and most importantly parks and wildlife preserves are getting larger. However they are woefully scarce and still considered endangered(in the East), even in Florida where the cat has hung on in spite of the decrease in habitat and the constant encroachment and harrassment of man and the release of once contained "pets".

I consider myself to be lucky to catch a glimpse of one on some rare instances. I feel sorry for those "city folks" who will never see one in the wild. It's the reason I moved back out to the country, to indulge myself and see cougar, bear and other wildlife. It also means I use the brains I was born with and I carry pepper spray too! LOL :p

LQ

16. Jen H

Jen H Well-Known Member

We have cougars here. Growing up in central California, we called them pumas.

17. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

So, they are called cougar there, right? :)

18. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................Over in Foat Wurth , Tx....there use to be a Dance Hall\Beer Joint called "Panther Hall" . Some attendee(s) called each other "Cat" ....hay cat , say cat , etc . And then there was the Plural ...."those Cats at Panther Hall" got into a fight . Reminds me of that song by Mickey Gilley called .."All the Girls Look better at Closing Time" , and after 14 beers who cares.. :no: :eek: . This is completely ...OFF the subject But The subject of the Thread reminded me about "Cats"...fordy.. :eek: :)

19. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

In these here parts we calls em cougars.

20. Mr. Dot

Mr. Dot Well-Known Member

Cat. Preferably in the past tense.