Do you remember

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by oldmanriver, Jul 18, 2006.

1. oldmanriver

oldmanriver Well-Known Member

How many of you remember the old Countryside forum ? You know the one where people posted real questions about how to do thngs on the homestead.. Don't you miss it..I skip 80 percent of the post in here because they pretain to persomel issuses Not how to do anything..Maybe we need a new forum .

2. BetsyK in Mich

BetsyK in Mich Well-Known Member Supporter

I was thinking the same thing just the other day. It is a shame, I learned so much from the other site. Wondering where all those people who seemed to have so much good, solid knowledge about homesteading are now.

3. Farmer Willy

Farmer Willy Well-Known Member Supporter

My guess they would be more busy 'doing' than gossiping, infighting, or try to one-up one another.

4. I was reading some of the old post from lusenet just a couple of days ago. I looked up the question I posted about "Raising boneless chickens"! Shore did get a lot of laughs on that one. I miss them old days seems to me we were a little friendlier people back then. Miss some of the folks that use to post on there too.

5. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

Yeah, I don't spend as much time here as I do on other sites. TB2K is claiming most of my attention right now, as not many people here seem very interested in what's going on overseas, even if it is turning into WW III.

Kathleen

6. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

Yes I remember the old forum well.

It was also very small. That was nice but Chuck took on a lot of responsibility when he decided to try to save it. Countryside was just going to close it.

Some of us have the old forum on disc thanks to Chuck.

The problem with this site and every one I go to, is that too many non country folks post on here .
    I think it is great that they are interested in our way of life but they don't have much to imput in the way of help on the homestead so they naturally input what they know most about which is non homesteading stuff.

Remember, most of us were city folks once too.

If it makes you feed better, the other so called homesteading forums I go to are worse.

7. WindowOrMirror

WindowOrMirror ..where do YOU look? Supporter

While I wasn't here at that time - and would have enjoyed that sort of forum immensely as well - I think it's important that people interact one with the other as well, and some people can do that over this medium.

8. Cashs Cowgirl

Cashs Cowgirl Well-Known Member Supporter

Well I find that I skip over some things too, but that doesn't mean that what I skip for myself wouldn't be important for someone else....it's all a matter of a need to be filled and different posts do that for different people...

I wasn't a part of the old board, but I like this one...as someone said previous, it is better than many out there!

9. MarleneS

MarleneS Well-Known Member

I'm one of those who doesn't know what she's missing because I wasn't around for the old forum. I do, however, realized that if I want information on homesteading topics I just go to the proper (cooking/goats/chickens/etc.) titled forum and there is usually someone there who can help or a topic of interest for me to read.

If I want to just chat with kind thoughtful for people I can find them in Country Side Families and if I'm feeling mean and onery I go to General Chat...

This is still the best online source for homesteading information.

Hugs
    Marlene

10. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

It does seem like there a lot of general chat in this forum, but it's among folks who avoid the Chat forum because it's such a lions den.

Maybe we should ask them to split general chat into 2 - Political/Religious/and other known hot button issues and just "other chat". ?

I rarely go to the Countryside Families because it seemed to be well, about families, and I don't have children.

11. bluemellon

bluemellon New Member

you're all chatting about not chatting... it's so silly! heh heh heh.

12. Lynne

Lynne Well-Known Member

I remember the old forum and I also remember that there were some pretty heated discussions there as well. I still like this site since there is little profanity and basic down to earth topics. I just don't open the threads that are not of interest to me.

13. chamoisee

chamoisee Well-Known Member

I really miss the old site, but I *don't* miss the heavy handed moderators who had it right before Chuck came on the scene. It was smaller and we had less turnover before the mass deletions and banings took place. Some of the best posters abandoned the place entirely, and I don't think it's the same without them. Others, like Joel, don't post as much anymore.

Comparing that site with this one is unrealistic and depressing. This one is too big, and there's too much control for it to be like the other one. And yes, we did have problems with meanness there. One of the most aggravating problems was that if you posted something the Christians disagreed with, they'd shout you down and hijack the thread. I don't see that particular problem as much here.

14. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm far from being a "newbie" at homesteading/gardening but I still learn a lot on the various forums. If it doesn't interest me I pass it by but it well might interest someone else. I love the Forum. My day doesn't seem complete until I have read it. Rita

15. canfossi

canfossi Well-Known Member

I have never seen that forum, it sounds very interesting. I try to get on this forum at least once a day. Chris

16. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

By "Countryside" forum - you guys mean a forum hosted by Countryside Magazine?

And is it still there? Or did this forum take its place?

17. tucker303

tucker303 Rob

As a new person to this site, I was taken aback a bit by the various topics that tend to heat people up. I debated cancelling but I can ignore them I guess. I look forward to learning from others and someday....teaching someone else.

Heck...I already hang my clothes on the line (dryer broke 2 yrs ago and decided not to replace it) and started making my own laundry soap! Not bad for a guy!

18. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

How "country" must one be in order to post here?

Are there unspoken rules, like you must own a minimum of 10 acres? Must own at least one farm animal?

I have 1.25 acres, four cats and two dogs. I'd like help getting my two wells up and running again, figuring out how to make the most of my small "homestead" (which, btw, is more a matter of attitude than size), having a social life 'cause I feel rather isolated here, and other things.

I suspect that homesteaders do occasionally need info on non-homesteading stuff, so even though I don't know much about farming, I may actually help someone, sometime. I do know a lot about gardening. I think the key, for everyone, is posting in the right *area.*

But if you want non-country folk like me to go away, I may very well comply.

19. DW

DW plains of Colorado Supporter

...on the old one, I read most every post but I skip lots here...it does save me time! DW

20. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Ya know, one minute people are complaining that I move or close too many threads because they are not homesteading related....and the next minute someone else is complaining that I don't get rid of enough non-homesteading related threads. You just can't win around here.

P.S. I'm thinking about moving this thread to General Chat.