do you reload ammo ?

• yes

• no

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,772 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious of how many folks do reloading.simple question yes or no.i think reloading would be a great asset to any homestead family or wilderness home.i am just starting to do some simple reloading this week if all goes well.thanks for voting in my poll .

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I used to have more money than time. I have decent stored of bought ammo.

I look forward to having more time to start reloading. In fact my Dear Wife mentioned reloading after reading around a bit here.

Ka-ching! Looks like I need to expand my horizons:banana02:

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
I just do simple stuff, too. I just have a Lee Loader for my .270, .38 spl, and my .357 magnum. My son also has one for his .243. My .270 and his .243 use the same primers and powder, but different bullets, and my .38 and .357 use the same bullets and primers, but different powders. I don't have to keep a lot of different components to load what I need.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I suspect the numbers are a little skewed in favor of the handloader in your poll, because only serious shooters will check the thread IMO. That said I've been reloading for 25 years and casting my own bullets for pistol and rifle for about 20 years. I've recently purchased some serious upgrades in equipment for casting that are waiting at home now. I get more bang for my buck, but I don't save money, only have more fun shooting a lot more. Its great hobby, BUT IF YOU ARE NOT A METICULOUS RECORD KEEPER WHO CAN PAY ATTENTION TO DETAIL AND BE READY TO READ AND LEARN, DON'T MESS WITH IT. For anyone interested in casting bullets, the link below is the most informative forum on the subject I have found.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/

·
Registered
7,798 Posts
I helped my father reload as a kid, and my hubby is picking up the reloading equipment from his parents' farm over Thanksgiving. We are planning to do it just to avoid the tracking of what ammo we buy.

·
Premium Member
3,724 Posts
I reload ALL of my ammo and cast bullets. Lately I've been downsizing though since picking up the longbow 15 years ago.

·
NJ Rich
1,239 Posts
I find some reloads perform better than factory loads. It takes time to find what load combination works best in "your firearm". The .243 I owned shot exceptional groups with a certain load. That same load may not perform as well in your firearm.

There was a time when reloading saved money, but the savings seemed to has lessened since the price of components has risen. If you cast your own bullets you can certainly save a lot more money.

The savings depends on what you are reloading. If you can find a good sale you may save some more than the expense of equipment and components. It also depends on how much you shoot. The hunter who shoots a box a year maybe better buying off the shelf.

·
Registered
496 Posts
My dad does, but since I'm not a hunter, I've never paid much attention to it. He's been doing it since we were wee ones though.

·
I am good without god.
858 Posts
I reload for accuracy, to have loads that are specialized for the cartridge and to have task specific loads as well as to load for older historic firearms that might not handle modern loads.

For example, for the 7.62x39mm I can load up 154 grain loads for heavier deer hunting and for my .303 British I can load 123 grain loads for flatter shooting deer loads as the former and latter cartridges have their common weight bullets swapped from what they normally are.

I also have older 7x57mm Mauser rifles that I don't trust to fire anything beyond what was the standard loads of their day, thus I load special cartridges for them. However, I can fire the same bullets in my 7mm-08 Remington if I desire.

For my .270 I purchased the bullets used for the 6.8mm SPC cartridge so have some extra light fast mover pills for experimentation and to see how they would perform if pushed even faster.

Reloading keeps me out of the bars, off the streets, out of strip clubs and encourages me to take the wife out to shoot. Seems like a pretty nice habit to have. :rock::D

·
Premium Member
9,569 Posts
My husband has done shotgun shells in the past.

My kids (13-14yo) do a lot of reloading with Uncle because they like to shoot often, so they are shooting a .250 and a .243 and reloading....my daughter isn't a 100# yet so she loads light for practicing. Both are very good shooters, and taken to task on firearm safety.

My son at 14 can take a rifle apart and fix it as needed. He has a tweaked BB gun that shoots accurate to 50 yrds! His nose is always in a gun digest or checking ballistics when he's not playing golf.

·
Semper Fidelis
4,609 Posts
Just remember that if you have a CCW weapon, don't carry reloaded ammunition in it. If you have to use your CCW weapon - then you will be grilled on ballistics, types of reloaded ammo, etc..

Tis better to use factory ammunition for CCW weapon use, to advoid those potentional problems in a court room!!! As I was advised once again in April on my bi-annual range training for my CCW license by our instructor..

As posted above be meticulious on specifications and componets when reloading your own ammo. Otherwise you may not get the expected results when you pull the trigger on your weapon using that reloaded ammunition!!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
I've been reloading for about 34 years everything from 7.65 Luger to 45-100 (2.6") Sharps. In all 26 Calibers, 3 Gauges, and I cast both pistol and rifle bullets. I'm now up to 5 reloading presses, 2 lead melting pots, and a really cool automatic annealing machine.

Other than .22 RF and Steel waterfowl loads I reload all that I shoot. It really is a great hobby that takes on a life of it's own.

Chuck

·
Registered
5,509 Posts
I reload for everything from 220 Swift to 375 H&H. Most are standard calibers, but I've got a couple of guys with 338-06's, and one guy with a 30-06 Ackley Improved. Currently, I've got got one progressive, a couple of RCBS Rockchuckers, two MCS and one Texan shotgun loaders (set up for 12's, 20's and 16's). Also have several different bullet molds and enough lead lying around to give me hernias for years to come...

My favorite rifle bullet:

http://www.barnesbullets.com/products/rifle/tipped-tsx-bullet/

·
I love South Dakota
5,320 Posts
I don't reload - that is what DH is for.

He's got a whole room dedicated to his passion. I'll stick with my canning addiction.

Cathy

1 - 18 of 18 Posts