Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I raise ducks, chickens ( layers and meat), geese,
Chukar partridge and pheasant.

I keep a variety of feeds for the different bird requirements .
This includes chick starter and grower, scratch grains, whole
wheat, egg layer 18%, turkey starter and grower (for the game
birds ), steam rolled corn in winter and barley/ oats/corn
Mix for waterfowl with pasture greens?

What are your birds and feeds?

L

·
0 Posts
I have a whole feed room in the barn that looks like a durned feedstore. (I'll wait until daylight and take a pic).

I have the free range flock which is comprised of Freedom Rangers (3rd generation), Freedom Ranger X Marans crosses, Freedom Ranger X cornishx crosses, and a few odds and ends - Olive Eggers, Sexlinks, and a brown Leghorn. The free range flock has to find most of their own food, so I just give them a little scratch or whatever is cheap in the evenings.

I have adult and juvenile Marans. The adults are on a breeder diet and the juveniles are on a grow diet.

The Seramas are getting starter. As fast as they're maturing, looks like they'll be on a breeder diet by Christmas.

The turkeys are getting game starter, but I've just started mixing a little grower in.

I will have quail when I have cages fixed for them.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is 'breeder diet' ?

L

·
0 Posts
A 20% pellet. The store where I get most of my feed doesn't carry it so I have to special order it through them.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Laying hens 4 roos (all this years hatch), ducks , 3 month old baby geese and a 2 yr old goose-

Feeder inside the coop was layer pellets-
new chicks hatching (busy roos!)- so I switched it out with 20% Flock starter crumble...

2nd feeder in the poultry yard also has Layer pellets.

Duck/ goose pen (they are penned at night ) has 2 big bowls of Layer pellet mixed with half of the 20% flockraiser (the geese need more protein I think)...

Also they get pans of scraps made into mash about 3 or 4 days a week I set 4 pans out so everyone can get some....

(34 birds total, plus the chicks hatching out today)...

·
Just living Life
8,280 Posts
Right now I just have chickens and turkeys together.

They get the same feed, Non GMO Organic layer.

Do have Geese on order from Holderreads, they should be here end of Oct. They will be getting a different type of feed, more suited to waterfowl.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This was my second year of seriously keeping breeders and
incubating their eyes for chicks, except the game bird eggs
I got from another breeder.
The ducks I fed 18% layer crumbles and in early spring
give them sprouted greens (oats). Pretty much the same for
the breeding chickens. My egg fertility rate and hatches were
very good. Hatch rate for my chickens around 90%+ and
ducks over 80%. Chukar egg hatch 100% though I only
hatched a few, pheasants about 50% from eggs I didn't raise
the breeders.

So , I'll probably adjust feeding for my game birds in
spring giving them increased protein probably keep them
on 18% layer for stronger eggs. Something about the sprouted
oats or wheat I believe helps fertility in all my birds .

·
Premium Member
10,398 Posts
I presently have a small flock of large meat birds/layers, a small flock of guineas (assorted colors), Brown Chinese Geese and a recent hatch of heavy breeders that have separated themselves from the rest.

The large meat birds (Orpingtons and Wyandotts) still sleep in the chicken house as do the guineas and geese. The newly hatched ones sleep in the barn up high in the rafters.

One flock of fowl has always been in the chicken house, turned out each morning and locked up each night. This flock of chickens gets layers pellets once a week. The pellets are in an area the other fowl (geese) cannot get to. They are doing fine.

The fowl hatched a couple of months ago have decided they are separate from the other fowl and will not roost in the chicken house. They don't even go into that house to get pellets. So they only get some whole oats each morning; then they free-range all over the acreage during the day. (I can even leave the front gate open and they will pass right by it and never leave the acreage.)

In a couple of weeks my usual order of Jumbo Cornish X Rocks will be arriving; and at that time, the inside door will be closed in that chicken house and the brooder board put in place with lights. This means nothing will be able to get inside that part of the chicken house for a few months...until all those Cornish Rocks are slaughtered and in my freezer and that area totally cleaned again. (This means the fowl who have been getting the laying pellets will only be getting scratch twice a day while they roam over the acreage and sleep in the ONE side of the chicken house still available to them.)

What I've noticed in doing all the fowl this way is that they do wonder out farther into the pastures in search of food yet they still do not leave the acreage and they have not been losing weight. Come winter I will be providing the assorted fowl with more pellets as expecting them to find much food in bad weather would not be wise.

·
Registered
841 Posts
I am just doing chickens right now but I plan on adding some guineas next year and I would like to have some ducks and turkeys once I get a space set up for then

T

·
0 Posts
Welsh ducks and bronze turkeys. Feeding Glock raiser right now, but I found a place with organic, non-gmo to buy from instead.

·
Banned
1,185 Posts
I only have ducks, chickens and peacocks at the moment. However I have had those 3 plus guineas and turkeys before. Turkeys are seasonal and the guineas were a torment.

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
I have Laying chickens (they are supposed to lay anyway???) and broilers and also a few quail (actually a few less than a few weeks ago now).
- Most adult laying hens out to pasture and locked in coop at night, I have laying pellets in the coop so they can have them anytime, but the small amount I give them will last 2 days or so, they are just not too interested since they have been running loose during the day. (marans, brown leghorns, welsummer, americanas, buff orphinton, olive eggers and a few barred rock)
- juvenile layers are in tractors moved around on the grass ( buff orphinton, welsummer, wyandotts) they get grower right now, until they are bigger and I can start letting them out, of course by that time it will be winter, so there may not be much to get, except for around the pig pens??)
- quail get game bird (man that stuff is expensive!!!) I sent all of my bobwhites to freezer camp (never laid a single egg??) I only have courtnix and A&M now only about a dozen or a little more??)
- The broilers get grower, just like the juveniles. not quite the high protein as recommended, but my last batch done ok, so I am continuing to use the same on this batch. I have 25 cornish x which are getting feed 1/2 the day and 50 Red Rangers, which are being provided food 24/7.

I did find a place a few towns over that has non-gmo feed, but they were not able to sell in bulk and I am just not sure I can swing the extra cost. I am hopeful now I have found a place that does have non gmo in bulk. I am going to call them when I get home next month and see for sure.

I do throw out some whole corn to give my piglets and pigs something to do looking for it during the day and the chickens do manage to get some of it. However, a few of the slow ones have found the pigs have a hard time telling between a chicken and a piece of corn!!!

·
Premium Member
10,398 Posts
...updating .....

This morning as I started to open the chicken house door, I saw one guinea who had not roosted in there last night; and as I threw a little cracked corn her way I noticed about a dozen baby keets running around her. :) Tonight when I locked the fowl up, this mother and her keets were nowhere to be found; so I suspect she is covering her babies under some of the brush in the orchard. :)

Had been considering ordering more guineas; but with these new arrivals, I don't need to.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have 13 ducks which I am going to breed. 4 different breeds, Golden Cascades, Saxony, Gold Phase Welsh Harlequins, and White Appleyards all from Holderreads outta Oregon. I have about 11 Chickens and 1 roo and 3 pullets. The Breeds are White Brahma, Golden Laced Wyandotte, Silver Laced Wyandotte,Blue Laced Red Wyandotte, Rhode Island Red, White Leghorns, A Old English Game, and a Broiler. Also in the flock I have a Bronze Tom who hangs out with the ducks throughout the day and sleeps with the chickens at night and a pair of Pilgrim Geese. The hens get layer crumbles, and the rest of the birds get an All purpose crumble, maintenance feed we get from my work. I work at a feed store by the way so we have a variety of feeds for all sorts of animals and I stick with the all purpose because my ducks and pullets can't eat a pelleted feed yet.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts