Do you prep all summer

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Oregon1986, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

I'm still learning what it takes to get through winter in the country. Moved from the city 3 years ago. Last winter was extra harsh on us

pixiedoodle likes this.
  2. In The Woods

In The Woods Well-Known Member

I guess I fall in with the prepper crowd. During the warmer months we keep at least a 2 month supply of food and goods - more like 4 months worth in the winter.

I spent 1/2 my life on the road for a living - through sleet, snow, rain.....you know the drill. Now that I don't have to go I opt to stay put in the winter. The roads around here are OK in the winter but I hate being out on them because of all the other idiots.

We will go to town (35 miles away) once every 2-3 weeks just to help abate the cabin fever.

As far as heat - we used our wood stoves for 20+ years. But since I got sick I just can't do it any more. I bought our firewood cut, split, and delivered for a couple years but got increasingly expensive and the quality became iffy. Now the fuel oil came down in price a few years ago it is now almost the same cost for fuel oil as firewood. So with my last tax return refund I will ever see a few years ago we had a new furnace installed. I almost feel guilty when I hear it kick on now.......almost.....

Jen_Jen, pixiedoodle and Oregon1986 like this.

3. Oregon1986

Lol I wou
    Lol I wouldn't feel guilty one bit. A lot of people around here use pellet stoves

pixiedoodle and In The Woods like this.
  4. Teej

Teej Well-Known Member

Our family always tells us they'll be heading for here if the poop ever does fly. Not so bad my side of the family because they would have enough sense to bring along whatever supplies they do have which would be pretty extensive. Hubby's kids, on the other hand, would jump in their car, show up with the clothes on their back and say "Here we are, take care of us". That's adult kids with kids of their own, by the way. They were born, raised and still live in or very near cities/towns. Their idea of fixing a meal is to run to the nearest fast food place and bring it home instead of eating it there.

pixiedoodle and Oregon1986 like this.
  5. Oregon1986

Sounds like most of our family

pixiedoodle and Teej like this.
  6. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

Nope...Not around here.
    No such thing as taking the summer off.
    Prepping isn't hobby....it's a lifestyle.
    You do all kinds different activities ...in season"....but it never stops for "

7. Jen_Jen

Jen_Jen Active Member

We do, year round. We are seriously behind on stocking firewood, so any weekend we are both free and both not sick, we go out and cut dead wood and stack it. We have one of those huge Swedish-style round wood piles that my partner started over the summer and it is already half gone! (!!!) Even though we have plenty of dead fall on our land, I always take wood if it's offered. We both have chronic illnesses--mine is fibro, and we don't know what his is yet--which eats into our wood harvesting time. It's frustrating.

We also buy extra canned goods--just 2-4 extra cans of stuff--when we grocery shop and are building up a nice stock pile of canned food. He also has spent a lot of the summer and fall freezing from our garden. We made a ton of pickles, but I believe we have gone through them. He has also gotten into the habit of taking about half of any leftover pot of soup and freezing it, so we have frozen foods, as well. As for the pets, I usually have about a month's worth of food on hand for them, and we also have a stockpile of cans for them. Every time I buy a case of something, I put one can in the stock pile. I want to go through it, though, and use up anything that's older than I am comfortable with. As for cat litter, if we were to get snowed in and run out, I would use paper from the shredder. I used to do it all the time to save money.

At the first prediction of snow, I'm going to insist that we put the plow on our truck and leave it there. I will need to pick up salt. We have a long driveway, so we'll need a lot.

I'm sure that as we get sicker and older, we'll have to let some things go, but for now, we prep as much as we can. Even when we are not snowed in, I learned a long time ago that the main road between WV and MD is very, very dangerous when it's icy or snowy, so I tend to stay home when it gets like that.

Jen M, WV

pixiedoodle and Teej like this.
  8. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

Emergencies and disasters can occur any time of year...enough said.

9. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Isn't this thread from July 4-6 2017 interesting. My comment is no, summer in south FL is our fallow period. Winter is our main growing season.

10. Jen_Jen

Jen_Jen Active Member

Yes. It's fairly old. I come and go on my various message boards, though. :)

Jen M, WV