Do you own land you don't live on?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by almostthere, Dec 5, 2006.

1. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

We have access to probably about 100 acres in seperate counties with permission to hunt(and use for camping). A little over 60 of that is a situation that only he and I are allowed to hunt. Dh said that since he has so much access he doesnt really need acreage of his own yet. Even though it would be better for our sanity to be out of the city, we have financial obligations and obligations to our son who is ASD and is in therapy that limits our desire to go live in the woods. So, I'm wondering, how many people have acreage that they don't live on, that they won't be moving to any time soon?

2. Snowdancer

Snowdancer Well-Known Member

I have 15 acres that it may take a few years to get together enough to live on it. The goal is to be moved there by April 2009 but you never know. :shrug:

Personally, I think you'd be wise to at least have an acre or two somewhere, maybe not all the way out in the boonies but more rural just in case you decide years from now to move to the country.
    By then I'm sure the prices will be way more so even if you don't end up moving; you'd have a good investment property to sell for a profit. ;)

3. almostthere

We have 1/2 acre, behind a friends house. Its not in our name yet, but her "baby" is almost 18 and she knows he will be moving on soon and has asked us to take it. The town is pop less than 700, doesn't even have a school.

We are currently looking for something, to have in our own name, I'm just not sure if he's all that interested in living on it for a while.

*I guess I should have added, that we live in a town of less than 3k people, no garbage removal, volunteer only fire dept, no traffic signals, K-8 school, etc.

4. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

Well I have acreage next door to my house that isn't really being used... I understand that my husband's family has LOTS of land in Indiana but we all live in Alaska (they came from Indiana). Some is leased for farming, some is leased for hunting, some sits vacant.

5. Ramblin Wreck

Ramblin Wreck Well-Known Member Supporter

Good advice from KY Guest if you can swing it. Buy the land in the area you will want to live in when you can afford it. It's usually a good investment even if you never use it, and it provides peace of mind. I have land in one other state and one Canadian province in addition to the small farm my Dad left me.

6. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

We own 13 acres with a mobile home on it, tractor barn, boat dock, etc. Almost 100% wooded and right now it's a weekender. 90 minutes away.

7. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

We have 37 acres in WI; don't live on it, have it listed with a realtor (United Country). Then we'll find the place we want to stay, but that may yet take a year or so.

Pony!

8. hoofinitnorth

hoofinitnorth Well-Known Member

I agree with the advice you got - just check out the taxes and keep an eye on your neighbors and the laws as you await moving there. If things change to a level you can't tolerate, you'll know it and can sell before having to move in and move back out again.

9. almostthere

The small town we're looking at isn't resell worthy for much $$$ so if we buy/build we won't be moving back. Its 26 miles from where I am now. We both need to get away from the noise, so I'm thinking a weekender is the perfect solution. A group of Amish people were up there looking at a church for sale once. Would be very cool if they built up the empty store fronts with bulk stores and quilt shops.

10. suzyhomemaker09

suzyhomemaker09 Well-Known Member

We have almost 8 acres in the Eastern part of the state ( Texas county) It lets us farm tag a deer when we feel like humping out there..My MiL has 22+ or so right beside it. We had planned on moving there when we first came to the state but as the job situation there is abysmal it was just not a possibility. There is a well on MiL's parcel..phone is ran out there but no electricity..was thousands to get it out there last I checked ( several years ago) MiL has a small travel trailer out there and we use it as a hunting cottage in bad weather... or if it's too cold for traditional tent camping
    ( which we prefer)

11. hunter63

hunter63 Well-Known Member

It's a good investment, bought 10 acres 1989, added 6 more in 1995. Would have liked to add more, but........
    Payed for it as we went along.
    Put up the cabin in 2004, did the mechanicals in 2005, still working on it but so far all paid for.
    Land in that area is really jumping up. ('corse you have to sell if to get the money out), so for right now just means higher taxes.

12. almostthere

One ad we looked at in the same town said it had a "Pipeline" and dh says that has something to do with a gas line. I wonder if that means I would have access to free gas? or would I not be able to build in certian spots?

I'm excited about it now. I never thought about owning someplace I didnt live at.

13. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Own a quarter section with sibs. RENt it to Hutterite colony. WIll probably never live there.

14. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I have some lots 3 miles down the road. It just sets there growing trees for now. 2 of my kids have ask if they can have it to build homes on someday. Might end up splitting it up and giving them 2 lots each.

The other land is in town and has rental houses, so it's not what you'd call land, but it does provide an income. I'll probably end up selling them someday, it's hard to keep rentals in another state. They are several hundred miles away from where I live. I don't get up there to check on them very often. But when I think about it, I don't go 3 miles down the road to check on the tree lots very often either. Maybe I need to gather up more properties and then hire a property manager to take care of them for me... :rolleyes:

15. Deb862

Deb862 Well-Known Member

We are planning on doing this in the spring. Due to job obligations, I cannot live as far out right now as we would want so we will be buying our land and not living on it for a number of years and will work on it as we go. As someone else pointed out, such a thing is never a bad investment any way you look at it.

16. ET1 SS

ET1 SS zone 5 - riverfrontage Supporter

Sure, We live here and then we have an apartment building down South in Connecticut.

We have owned apartements in California, Washington, and Scotland.

I see nothing 'wrong' with investing in property so long as it pays for itself, gives a good income and provides a healthy tax-writeoff.

17. Terri

Terri Singletree & Weight Loss & Permaculture Moderator Staff Member Supporter

My health went south right after we bought what was SUPPOSED to be a bigger and better homestead. It is 5 1/2 acres of bare land.

I go there a couple of times a month to do what little I can. I still have hopes for the property, but I will not be able to put in the amount of sweat equity that I had intended to.

I DID get in 100 asparagus near the creek, and they are doing well, but I think fruit trees would need too much watering. I wonder if I can find some of those brightly colored native minnows to put in the tiny creek. They would be lovely. The bee hive is doing well also.

I really enjoy having my own little spot, though it is frustrating to be able to do so little. Still, this spring I MIGHT be able to eat some of that asparagus, and that would be delightful!

18. Hike4beer

Hike4beer Well-Known Member

My brother and I own 160 acres about 3 hours away in Oklahoma. We have a gas pipeline running through the property, but did not apply for permits to build our cabin. We are off the grid and only pay less than $50.00 in taxes. We get to the property about every three weeks.

19. DoubleBee

DoubleBee Well-Known Member

We have 9 acres about 16 miles away. Bought it 10 years ago next spring, and keep our horses there. I go over every day. I have just started planting fruit trees, berries, nut trees, a garden spot, and some flowers on it.
    I'm looking into maybe having a bee hive or 2, some chickens, and possibly a milk goat or 2.

20. littlebitfarm

littlebitfarm Scotties rule! Supporter

I have a half acre that I don't live on. It's right next to the 15 acres I do live on. I'm renting out the old house on the 1/2 acre. So far being a landlord has not been a problem, so I may continue to rent it. If it becomes a hassle I'll tear it down, after it has paid for itself, and have a little more pasture.

Kathie