Do you now any good coin collecting books for beginners?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Bee4Jesus, Apr 27, 2006.

1. Bee4Jesus

Bee4Jesus Active Member

I would like to get into collecting coins but I want to find out more info and what things are valuble, how to tell whats what etc. Can you help me or tell me about any good books on this subject? :help: :confused:

Thanks,

2. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Mrs is having fun collecting state quarters,and wants to get a set for each grandchild.

No real value at this point.

BooBoo

3. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

4. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

Go on-line to Collectors Universe - read the coin forum consistently.

Lot's of knowledgable collectors, traders & dealers there.

Even a couple of people who grade coins... Great information.

:)

5. TundraGypsy

TundraGypsy Well-Known Member

Check out some of the coin stores and talk to the folks there. They should also have books for beginners too. Decide what you'd like to collect and remember most dealers will mark up the coins, so do your homework on what things cost. For myself, I'm just going to buy a silver dollar or some half dollars here and there ; I can't afford to buy gold. Collecting old coins can be expensive; you have to ask yourself why you are collecting and what you plan to do with the coins? Are you saving them for future sales or going to give them to kids and family? And if you are going to do that; wouldn't it be better to invest in long term food storage items instead? Long term food storage can last 15-20 years - will you be able to trade those old coins for food for your family when times get tough? Perhaps having a few coins and some long food storage items would be better.

6. FreightTrain

FreightTrain Well-Known Member

the US currency price guide pocket edition... covers everything including mis-prints and off struck coins

7. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member

You can spend as MUCH money as you want collecting coins. Also, you can lose,,, BIG TIME! Start off cheaply & progress for there.You can start off inexpensively & progress from there. I like Indian Head pennies & have 1000's of them !! I have plenty extra, poor to fair grade, that are great for filling books. Great hobby for kids, too.

8. Bee4Jesus

Bee4Jesus Active Member

Thanks for all the advice and i am going to check those books out at the library. Thanks again! :)

9. Esteban29304

Esteban29304 Well-Known Member