Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Goshen Farm
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in the area where your goats live? Mine live in a small barn with an attached coral with 6 ft field fence so they are very secure, finally. But the grass is over my knees (about 2.5 feet) tall and I worry a bit because it is tall enough to hide many bad guys vertebrates and invertebrates . So I got to wondering while I was raking out the barn....do you all mow? sis- who is way new to goats.

·
Registered
14,353 Posts
No- too many animals eating it, too little rain and no venomous snake. That last is the only good thing.

·
Goshen Farm
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I worry about cutting the grass (which I just finished doing) and the goats not having anything to browse. On the other hand we have had such wet monsoon season the bugs have been horrible and where there are bugs, there are mice and then there are snakes that can bite goats. So I guess I will mow every few months or something during the season and the goats will survive.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I don't mow. I've found that when the grass is tall, the goats tend to limit themselves to the area right around their shelter until it's eaten down a bit, then eat out a larger and larger area. They don't like to find out what's hiding in the tall grass, either. :hammer:

·
Registered
527 Posts
In our area if you don't mow the weeds take over. I brush hog twice in the summer and then when it frosts to clean things up a bit.

·
Premium Member
3,718 Posts
I only mow one side of the house where the roses and other plants are that I don't want them to eat. I open up area's for them to eat when it get a bit long, their pasture area's are normal and almost manicure looking. The parts where I have the horses at look worse when I can I let the goats out there to clean up some of the weedy stuff. But I also seed their area's with goat forage grasses and plants not just plain ole grass...

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
40,189 Posts
If you have only goats, you'll most likely need to mow. They prefer OTHER food items to grass unless forced.

·
Goshen Farm
7,272 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks Alice, I am figuring that out since they love the leaves off the apple trees!
Since they are not in a place with access to apple trees their only choices are weeds, grass, pellets...should I get some type of hay to put in some type of hanging hay feeder?

·
Super Moderator
12,837 Posts
I'd make them eat grass if that's what the pasture is, as long as the growth is adequate. Though they don't prefer it, they'll do fine on it.

I don't mow. No poisonous snake problems, and the taller grass is better from a worms standpoint. However, super tall grass is more mature and less nutritional. If your grass gets tall, you could always find a neighbor to put it up as hay - best of both worlds. :)

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
Help me understand this point? We currently mow but maybe we should stop mowing?
The way the worms get back in the goats is that the larvae crawl up the dew-moist grass, and get ingested by grazing goats. The larvae can only crawl so far - I seem to remember four inches? So if your grass is taller than that, the larvae can't crawl up to the ends where the goats are eating.

Mine actually seem to like grass - I lucked out I guess, but the girls have not even eaten a half bale of hay the whole summer. When I put them on a new pasture, they go about a week or so where they won't even eat alfalfa, because they're too busy nomming their favorite weeds. Freaks me out every time they do it because I'm new though. :D

·
Registered
5,944 Posts
We usually only mow to top the stuff that doesn't get eaten down. Helps keep undesirable plants from going to seed. Our goats don't have a problem grazing we rotate around the property using electric netting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts