Homesteading Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
40,208 Posts
Tom, in reply to your original post in this thread, my friend and neighbor is afraid of (my observation) of depth of feeling for everyone.

On one level, I totally understand, as he had a rough childhood, several failed relationships, and .... well, he's simply afraid (my interpretation) of taking care of anyone or anything. This causes him difficulty, but I don't think he is aware that his actions or inaction is the cause of what comes back to him.

At this point, I have learned (the hard way) that helping (or trying to help) someone like that is a project with diminishing returns.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I think that depth of thinking in almost any area of life is threatening to a prefabricated world-view. The entire construct can come crashing down with devastating results to the psyche. Excellence is resented. Mediocrity is safe. There is a great scene in Terry Gilliam's "The Adventures Of Baren Munchausen" when a "hero" is brought before the commander, for his valor in defeating dozens of enemies singlehandedly. Asked why he did it, he said he was just doing his duty. The commander (Jonathan Pryce) says "Have him executed immediately."

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Tom, in reply to your original post in this thread, my friend and neighbor is afraid of (my observation) of depth of feeling for everyone.

On one level, I totally understand, as he had a rough childhood, several failed relationships, and .... well, he's simply afraid (my interpretation) of taking care of anyone or anything. This causes him difficulty, but I don't think he is aware that his actions or inaction is the cause of what comes back to him.

At this point, I have learned (the hard way) that helping (or trying to help) someone like that is a project with diminishing returns.
“A man's suffering is similar to the behavior of gas. If a certain quantity of gas is pumped into an empty chamber, it will fill the chamber completely and evenly, no matter how big the chamber. Thus suffering completely fills the human soul and conscious mind, no matter whether the suffering is great or little."- Viktor Frankl

When it comes down to it, we all have had it rough, because it's all relative. My rough is mine, yours, yours. No one can truly get inside the skin of another, that is why there is no gold standard for personal suffering.

They say that life either makes you bitter, or it makes you better. It comes down to personal choice.

“We who lived in concentration camps can remember the men who walked through the huts comforting others, giving away their last piece of bread. They may have been few in number, but they offer sufficient proof that everything can be taken from a man but one thing: the last of the human freedoms -- to choose one's attitude in any given set of circumstances, to choose one's own way.”-Viktor Frankl

It appears to me that your friend suffers from anal optic inversion. There is no vaccine or medicine that will treat it. The sufferer must want to cure him or herself. It happens when the anal and optic nerves get crossed and the person ends up with a shi*ty outlook on life.

It sucks to be an actual grownup.

As for reaching your point of diminishing returns, that is nearly 100% true in all cases. Those in permanent victimhood mode are always looking for a knight in shining armor. They constantly need to be rescued, they constantly need to be carried.

Because they have suffered sooooo much.

Puhleeze!

It's best to exit that crazy train at the next depot.

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
Interesting. If you load on and call me a blowhard it's perfectly alright, however, if I employ the point a finger and there's three pointing back at you, I'm being childish.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Call me whatever you wish, as long as it's not late for supper.

I've done a lot, seen a lot and experienced a lot in my 64 years and I rather enjoy having a forum for sharing what I've learned. Nobody's putting a gun to your head forcing you to read any of it, and if it helps someone to keep from making some of the mistakes I've made, it's worth being sniped at by the self-righteous and the snobs.

In 1976, John Wayne starred as J.B. Books and said, “ I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on. I don’t do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

I kinda like that sentiment.
The shootist. I got to be close. One or the last of him...

·
Registered
431 Posts
"Hoka hey," which Hollywood believes has the meaning "It's a good day to die!" in Sioux.
+++
I think it makes a difference if it is ..... Lakota, Nakota, or Dakota Sioux... There ARE differences...

Then depending of which group of Sioux you are around all is influenced by Ojibwa, Black Foot, Crow, Northern Shoshone which contains some Spanish, Canadian Assiniboine and maybe others..

·
Super Moderator
9,430 Posts
Which is exactly why LBJ said the following"

"LBJ, a beer-swilling, blunt-speaking Texan, didn’t shy from using what today we refer to as The N Word. One sentence often attributed to LBJ, which has gained great fame on the internet, is this: "I'll have those n word voting Democratic for 200 years."

The line is often trotted out to allege that the civil rights legislation LBJ pushed and ultimately signed was motivated not by altruism but a cynical ploy to lock up votes.

Did LBJ really say that, someone asked at our meeting?

I said I believed the source of the quote was historian Doris Kearn Goodwin’s biography of LBJ, Lyndon Johnson and the American Dream, and that she was a pretty credible source (despite the plagiarism charges).

The source was not Goodwin, however. I had confused that LBJ quote with this one:

Did LBJ Say, ‘I’ll have those n*ggers voting Democratic for 200 years’? | Intellectual Takeout
I have no question that LBJ was setting the black man up for 200 more years of slavery to a new master the party they had so despised just 100 years earlier the party of the slave master and not the slave , the party of oppression , it hasn't changed just new soft speak tactics.

when they could no longer strong arm or intimidate they stole Lenin's idea of the Useful Idiot.

·
Be powerful. No other option exists.
40,208 Posts
My mother, who was born in 1920, and a wise woman in that time period would ABSOLUTELY agree with your statements about LBJ. He was NOT a nice person, but he was a skilled politician with a hidden agenda.

·
Registered
2,648 Posts
The question asked is. --- do you live in fear of depth?

My answer is no, I don't. And I don't care if you do.

Looking around to see what other people do and how other people live, well, I've learned that is none of my business.

Comparing yourself to others, morally, physically, intellectually, spiritually, any way - all pointless and a waste of time on earth.

Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. Carl Jung

·
Premium Member
41,031 Posts
The question asked is. --- do you live in fear of depth?

My answer is no, I don't. And I don't care if you do.

Looking around to see what other people do and how other people live, well, I've learned that is none of my business.

Comparing yourself to others, morally, physically, intellectually, spiritually, any way - all pointless and a waste of time on earth.

Who looks outside, dreams; who looks inside, awakes. Carl Jung
I tend to agree. When I compare myself to others I see how lacking everyone else is..... Very depressing!

·
Premium Member
9,005 Posts
At least it has been a nice winter here in MN. The cold spell was cold at minus 20f and all, but not abnormal To get that a couple days around here. So far the snow has not been very heavy or deep.

sorry for those of you that had it so rough.

I’m sure in 2-3 years we will be told how 2020 and 2021 were abnormally hot of course......

Paul

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
A car can't travel at the speed of light because it is not massless.
I was born in Connecticut, just south of Mass, does that me Massless and potentially able to travel at the speed of light?

Notice it said 'IF', so it was more of a postulation and not a blatant attempt on my part to set aside any laws of physics.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts