Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As one who has passed the half-century mark I feel qualified to share some of my scientific observations on human behavior. In order to be scientific a theory has to be repeatable. Believe me, this theory has a lifetime of proven observational repeatability.

It has been my experience that many, many folks live in mortal dread of depth. Depth of commitment. Depth of dedication to duty/responsibility. Depth of any kind of personal spiritual development. Depth of intellectual cognition. Depth of self-improvement in occupational skills.

There are very few who are good at what they do and many, many who are always running on empty in the competency department.

Most people in management are not there because they are good at what they do and are committed to excellence. they are there for money and power over their fellow man. When faced with a "subordinate" who is dedicated to excellence, rides for the brand, etc. they are not impressed, they are threatened and they proceed to do everything that they can to destroy them.

Watch the movie Amadeus:

·
Registered
31,338 Posts
Crazy Horse said "Hokahey, today is a good day to die!" Which meant something like "Let's go men, today is a good day to die!"

·
Registered
31,338 Posts
To answer the question posed in your title.

No, Americans have become so shallow, we have no fear of depth.

Or,
We are scared to death of depth, so we adopt shallow thinking.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crazy Horse said "Hokahey, today is a good day to die!" Which meant something like "Let's go men, today is a good day to die!"
Actually:

"Hoka hey," which Hollywood believes has the meaning "It's a good day to die!" in Sioux. That isn't true either--"Hoka hey" is a man's exclamation in Sioux, similar to the American expressions "Let's do it!" or "Let's roll!" The reason people think it means "it's a good day to die" is that the Lakota Sioux leader Crazy Horse famously exhorted his troops "Hoka hey, today is a good day to die!" Which meant something like "Let's go men, today is a good day to die!"

Another interesting custom was "Counting Coup":

Among the Plains Indians of North America, counting coup involved the winning of prestige against an enemy. Native American warriors won prestige by acts of bravery in the face of the enemy, which could be recorded in various ways and retold as stories. Any blow struck against the enemy counted as a coup, but the most prestigious acts included touching an enemy warrior with a hand, bow, or coup stick and escaping unharmed. Touching the first enemy to die in battle or touching the enemy's defensive works also counted as coup, as did, in some nations, simply riding up to an enemy, touching him with a short stick, and riding away unscathed.

And I agree that shallow thinking could be considered a willful defense mechanism against having actual depth.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Which is EXCATLY what I said.
Not the way I read your post.

Not to nitpick but Hoka hey is one expression and today is a good day to die is another. Crazy horse was said to have said Hoka hey! today is a good day to die.

But that is also disputed:

In "Black Elk Speaks" published in 1932, recounting the Battle of the Little Bighorn described the warriors under Crazy Horse: "...off toward the west and north they were yelling " Hokahey!" like a big wind roaring, and making the tremolo; and you could hear eagle bone whistles screaming". "Hokahey" is simply an exclamation to draw attention, similar to a coach saying, "Let's do it!" It is likely neither Low Dog nor Crazy Horse ever said, "Today is a good day to die," which is the English bastardization of a common Sioux battle-cry, "Nake nula wauŋ welo!" ("nake nula waun"). This phrase means, "I am ready for whatever comes". It was meant to show the warriors were not afraid of the battle or dying in it.

No need to feel offended.

Reactions: 101pigs

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Apparently, he didn't read your comments in depth.
Au contraire mon ami.

I did indeed read them in depth.

Please refer to the above posting.

Reactions: Gayle in KY

·
Registered
31,338 Posts
Crazy Horse famously exhorted his troops "Hoka hey, today is a good day to die!" Which meant something like "Let's go men, today is a good day to die!"
No need to feel offended.
I did replace your "famously exhorted his troops" with the word "said".

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
there is a song lyric " you've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything , You've got to be your own man not a puppet on a string."

yes the country is full of spineless puppets falsely promised a hand out they will let their strings be pulled
Which is exactly why LBJ said the following"

"LBJ, a beer-swilling, blunt-speaking Texan, didn’t shy from using what today we refer to as The N Word. One sentence often attributed to LBJ, which has gained great fame on the internet, is this: "I'll have those n word voting Democratic for 200 years."

The line is often trotted out to allege that the civil rights legislation LBJ pushed and ultimately signed was motivated not by altruism but a cynical ploy to lock up votes.

Did LBJ really say that, someone asked at our meeting?

I said I believed the source of the quote was historian Doris Kearn Goodwin’s biography of LBJ, Lyndon Johnson and the American Dream, and that she was a pretty credible source (despite the plagiarism charges).

The source was not Goodwin, however. I had confused that LBJ quote with this one:

These *******, they're getting pretty uppity these days and that's a problem for us since they've got something now they never had before, the political pull to back up their uppityness. Now we've got to do something about this, we've got to give them a little something, just enough to quiet them down, not enough to make a difference.
Did LBJ Say, ‘I’ll have those n*ggers voting Democratic for 200 years’? | Intellectual Takeout

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
31,338 Posts
Gotcha, you're one of those folks who's ego demands that they have to win even if it means skewing the facts and not reading what is presented in it's entirety and within context.

So.... You win
Just holding you accountable to the facts Jack. Meme on, meme on.

Reactions: 101pigs

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just holding you accountable to the facts Jack. Meme on, meme on.
My apologies, I concede that you are correct and I misread your post. I removed the one you just quoted.

·
Registered
31,338 Posts
My apologies, I concede that you are correct and I misread your post. I removed the one you just quoted.
So, now to my real point.

You post these long things hoping to share profound thought, and you will not even take the time to read 15 or 20 words someone else says. We all like dialogue, and respect, they run two ways.

Reactions: Lisa in WA

·
Registered
31,338 Posts
I think everyone is tired of being trapped inside, the weather, the power outages, the water leaks, the backordered generators, and grocery stores that have very little food available.
I know I am.

Our social and political fabric has me almost sick with concern for my kids, and their future well being. Luckily, I am untouchable, and I have my health and a good woman.

This cold snap was brutal. My house water connection busted. My animal water connection busted two days later. We have a foot of snow on the ground. I am almost out of hay. I burn my last stick of wood last night. I have a ewe knocking on death's door. I lost a preemie calf a couple of days ago. I could write a blues song if I could make all that rhyme

I need a motorcycle ride to nowhere.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Depth takes time, energy, and commitment. Pretty much, I dabble in most things. Except those that count. Not afraid of them, they are just not worth the tradeoff.

My faith, my eternal destiny, my family members faith and their eternal destiny. I am quite committed to those things. Yes, I have depth in those things.

I choose my battles.

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
I think everyone is tired of being trapped inside, the weather, the power outages, the water leaks, the backordered generators, and grocery stores that have very little food available.
That is one of many reasons that I enjoy living in the sticks. My nearest neighbor is miles away, and I am outside working every day. Knock on wood, I haven't had a busted water pipe in years, my water lines are buried deep, and run inside the living area of the house not the floor, or outside walls. I have two working generators, and the grocery store where I shop has not had any problems staying stocked. Most important of all, the Power Company for my area runs off natural gas, that feeds directly from a main coast to coast gas line. None of this was a accident, I chose to move here and live like I do.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I may be many things, but a blowhard isn’t something I’ve ever been accused of.
you’re the first! 😊
And good job on the “I know you are but what am I” defense.
A little playground strategy is always fun.
Interesting. If you load on and call me a blowhard it's perfectly alright, however, if I employ the point a finger and there's three pointing back at you, I'm being childish.

Whatever helps you sleep at night.

Call me whatever you wish, as long as it's not late for supper.

I've done a lot, seen a lot and experienced a lot in my 64 years and I rather enjoy having a forum for sharing what I've learned. Nobody's putting a gun to your head forcing you to read any of it, and if it helps someone to keep from making some of the mistakes I've made, it's worth being sniped at by the self-righteous and the snobs.

In 1976, John Wayne starred as J.B. Books and said, “ I won’t be wronged, I won’t be insulted, and I won’t be laid a hand on. I don’t do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.”

I kinda like that sentiment.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts