Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't... especially if it's from someone that doesn't know me very well..And this neighbor i don't care to socialize with anyways.. :rolleyes:
and i especially don't like it when they are wrong on the label...they just think they know!

hah just ranting i guess.. :shrug:

·
Premium Member
4,281 Posts
Rarely bothers me. Kids at school sometimes say I'm weird and I say they're right - and that being an adult means you can be weird if you want to be. We end up laughing together.

But if it bothers you, think about saying something (politely) to the neighbor.

·
Mother,Artist, Author
3,531 Posts
I agree, especially when the person doing the labeling doesn't know you very well. When we moved here, our agent made a comment that it must be nice to have money. Since we paid cash for our house. We had mentioned numerous times, that we didn't have money. That money was borrowed from a family member who does have money, but we still signed a contract and still owe them the money.
Even my dad when he moved here, the same agent made the comment to him since he paid cash for his house as well. But he sold the house he owned which was already paid off (he and my mom bought it over 40 years ago), and was able to pay cash for his house. So its not like we were "rich" by any means, we are still paying for our house, and my dad already paid for his.

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
You know, I guess I never thought about it. I do believe that people have a hard time labeling me. I don't seem to fit into any of their slots.

I laughed when I first moved here to Oklahoma. My mother-in-law is a miss neat as a pin little lady....and of course so are all of her garden club friends.

I was always embarassing her by showing up in the middle of the afternoon to pick up my brother-in-law, dressed in a pair of cut-off shorts and a baggy tee shirt or something--my hair all awry.

She was always shocked, sometimes I even had paint on me. I would just razz her, right in front of her friends. I'd say something like, "Here I am--one of the poor relatives from the country."

Finally one day she'd just had it, she just shook her head, looking at me and said, "Sandy, you're such a mess....I don't know WHY I like you so much."

Ahhh...vive la difference!

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Madame I did say something, she's said it to me a few times, and this time it really ticked me off and rubbed me the wrong way, and i seen it as an insult.. not sure why probably because it isn't me, and she has it all wrong..

She's the type thats very opinionated and she's "always right" kind of thing well she thinks she is anyways.. She doesn't know me at all.. like she thinks she does.. saying that DH and I are introverts..lol far from the truth.. we just don't socialize with them.. I told her well your way off on your observation! just because we're not out talking to them doesn't mean we're introverts.. to me an introvert is someone thats a nerd, and wants to be alone all the time, and are shy and quiet thats far from the truth we both socialize alot, just not with them. :shrug:

Madame i wouldn't mind be labeled weird, that one wouldn't bother me.

·
Suburban Homesteader
2,558 Posts
I'm definitely an introvert in that I love being alone, but I don't think of myself as a nerd :)

·
Registered
9,602 Posts
..............Gossip , has ALways been a much more destructive force than Truth . UNcaring and jealous people can destroy the good name of just about anyone by starting rumors that was supposedly told to them from some UN named source , which never existed , in the first place . , fordy

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
:)
Petunia40 said:
to me an introvert is someone thats a nerd, and wants to be alone all the time, and are shy and quiet thats far from the truth we both socialize alot, just not with them. :shrug:

Madame i wouldn't mind be labeled weird, that one wouldn't bother me.

You ARE weird Petunia! :)

Introvert's should not be labeled as "nerds". Many of them don't like to be alone all the time either, nor are they always shy and quiet.
They just are not motivated to draw undue attention to themselves, and mostly they do not care to live their lives by other people's expectations. They are usually quiet when around people who make them feel uncomfortable, but some introverts can be quite talkative and jovial when around people they really feel comfortable with.

·
Metal melter
7,154 Posts
Well, one word my good friend used to describe me was "unexpected". I like that one a lot. I like the fact that most people have no idea what I'm going to do or say next.

However, I've never wanted to have a label such as "secretary", or "doctor" or anything like that...that's one of the many reasons that I could never decide on a career. The idea of someone being able to sum me up in one word like that just makes me shudder.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
KCM said:
Introvert's should not be labeled as "nerds". Many of them don't like to be alone all the time either, nor are they always shy and quiet.
They just are not motivated to draw undue attention to themselves, and mostly they do not care to live their lives by other people's expectations. They are usually quiet when around people who make them feel uncomfortable, but some introverts can be quite talkative and jovial when around people they really feel comfortable with.
Very well said.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
KCM said:

You ARE weird Petunia! :)

hah thanks KCM I can be a little weird at times.. :p

Hmm ok, well maybe at times I can be that way.. if i don't like someone and they are to pushy or over the top, I don't feel the need to open up and talk to them much.. thats how i feel about this neighbor, so maybe thats why she thinks that way..

I talk all day long at work with patients, and i think when i get home i just don't want to talk much with anyone, well I talk to my family of course.. but others Nah.. I have a few select friends that i like to talk too, and i do talk to my other neighbors.

depending on the label though it can either hinder or help the person.. and it's not fair to label people when you really don't know them.

·
Menagerie More~on
2,045 Posts
I've enjoyed "good" labels and was hurt by the "bad" ones. The older I get, the less I care about any of it :) . Sometimes it's even funny.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Always figured most of those labeling negatively just didnt know me and if they were so narrow minded to label I didnt care to know them anyway.
Im Me dont need to be defined otherwise like me or hate me its your opinion
depending on your choice I'll either ignore you or cultivate a friendship :)

1 - 20 of 63 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.