Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Another American Patriot
2,331 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Very interesting especially as I am a qualified cartographic draughtsperson!
I have a book of maps from a certain time in print. :)

They have always fascinated me, and thanks to that interest, I get money in the bank each month.

Rose
WOW, Rose! I must say that wins my admiration! I always loved the map-making parts of geography classes when I was in school. Maps and cartography have always held my interest. Did you receive degrees in cartography?

Peace,
doohap

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
Here is a link to another digitized map collection covering more than just Kansas, the special collection at Wichita State University, Wichita, Kansas
http://specialcollections.wichita.edu/collections/maps/search.asp

I enjoy laughing at those "Native Colorado" bumper stickers one sees on vehicles, when it used to be that much of present Colorado was Kansas Territory or K.T.

Of course before that Kansas Territory was part of other states or territories that changed hands/ownership/claim quite a few times.

Yes, I have certainly enjoyed the maps and I thank you for the new to me site. I'll peruse it more thoroughly when I have time.

·
Registered
3,510 Posts
I'm glad I'm not the only one with a map fetish. My parents could never get why I was so interested in them. When I was a kid I'd send away for maps and spend hours studying them in my room. I just found it fascinating. I once came across a bunch of maps at a library sale depicting my county from the 1800s and up to the modern days. It was so interesting to go through and see how the landscape changed. Towns grew, rivers were straightened, swamps drained, farms changed, grew and disappeared again. What was quite surprising was the trees. There were far more trees in modern times than there were in the past. It's something you can pick up on if you can get a hold of aerial imagery from the 30s (much of it done for dust bowl research) and up to the 50s and compare it with today.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts