Do you let your kids dress your dogs in clothes?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by OldYellersGhost, Apr 2, 2005.

1. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

2. buttercup

buttercup Well-Known Member

I used to dress our cats in babydoll clothing when I was kid. :) My son doesn't seem all that interested in this diversion though. Although we did put our cat in a superman costume once. She hated it and, yes, I was amused :)

Seeing this tread made me laugh out loud.

Buttercup

3. jillianjiggs

jillianjiggs Well-Known Member

We have some shirts for our dog. It keeps his hair off of everything, and keeps guest from getting white hair on them when they visit. When he's got allergies and drags himself to scratch his belly, it keeps him from rubbing all of his hair off, too. Besides, he looks too cute in a little Hawaiian shirt.

4. momanto

momanto SW FLORIDA HAPPYLAND

Once I Shared A Home W/2 Others. It Was A Headquarters Of Junior Humanitarians Pet Society. There Were Three House Dogs. 4 Outside- About 12 Front Yard Cats, 8 Back Yard Cats And The Garage Had A 3 Room Cattery With About 30 More Cats.

Well One Halloween The Lady Who Owned The House Came In And Said I Have A Surprise. I Saw A Fabric In Her Hand And Thot She Was Gonna Dress Up Her Fav. Pek. No. When She Was Ready She Called And When I Saw The Two Big Dogs- One Dressed In Silky Black Cape With Matching Ear Covers And The Other In Red.......she And I Both Split Our Sides Laughing At Them. Their Eyes Just Glowed To Think We Considered Them Worthy Of Dressing Up. She Did Mention This Was Kinda Wild For Us Southern Baptists . (in Our 50's)

Still Lol

Mom

5. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

Thanks Buttercup. My whole reason for posting here, is to entertain myself and hopefully others in the process but some people just hate seeing a happy dog. They start whipping thier leash and try to get thier muzzles on me.

I'm so glad you're not like the rest of 'em. (you'll live longer)

Keep smiling Bc.

Momanto, nice fireplace.
    I could just curl up infront of it!

6. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

It's a favorite entertainment in our family. We have clothes that fit all the animals. Cabbage Patch doll clothes fit cats real well.

We don't have tv.

7. mammabooh

mammabooh Metal melter Supporter

Yep, we dress her up on occassion...that being whenever we feel like it. She puts up with it and loves the attention, but she's not too thrilled with our fashion sense.

8. buttercup

buttercup Well-Known Member

Hmm. We don't have TV either. :)

Buttercup

9. Lrose

Lrose Well-Known Member

My girls used to like dressing the dog and cats. i didn't mind within reason and the animals liked the attention. They took their pictures then off came the clothes.

10. Jo in PA

Jo in PA Well-Known Member

My 15 year old often dresses our Lab in her T-shirts and shorts. I think he actualy likes it! I also have a peek-a-poo. She only weights 4 pounds. She is full grown. The poor little thing gets cold easy, so I made her dresses out of my old sweatshirt sleeves.

11. Oggie

Oggie Waste of bandwidth Supporter

We like to dress our snakes in socks and stockings. Last time we tried, we managed to get 37 boas into a pair of panty hose.

We also once cut little holes in the bottom of a bowling ball bag so our pot-bellied pig could stick its feet our and walk around. The handle on top made it mighty easy to catch him too. Unfortunately, due to baggage handling incompetence by one of the major airlines on a transcontinental flight, we no longer have the pig. The memory is still painful.

12. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I've never dressed up an animal, although I tried as a kid and still have the scars to prove it!

However, when my kids were smaller, we had a Dalmation. For Halloween one year, we sprayed him with the colored hairsprays they come out with at that time of year. Several cans of orange spray paint later, he went trick-or-treating as a pumpkin. Everyone we met loved it! And Bart didn't mind at all...until it was bath time!

Meg

13. kppop

kppop Well-Known Member

I have 2 toy Chihuahuas and I dress them up all the time. They have coats, sweaters, and pj's. The female has an italian charm bracelet she wears around her neck and a gold name bracelet..she got it for her birthday. Dh about flipped when he saw I bought a gold bracelet for the dog..but he does admit she looks good in it. I have a diamond tennis bracelet that she wears sometimes..it looks so nice against her shiny black black fur. My kids laugh that our dog is the only dog with bling bling.

I also have to labs but they don't have clothes..that would be silly :)

14. COUNTRY WISHES

COUNTRY WISHES Well-Known Member

My cousin who is close in age to me, used to dress her two dogs all the time has a kid. One dog GiGi was a white standard poodle and the other dog Sparky was a sweet,large white mut with the mange. Well my cousin would actually put these dogs in her own nightgowns and put ribbons in their hair. Those two looked so ridiculous but they loved all the time and attention that she lavished on them.

Since then she has had various dogs, rabbits, ferretts and quinea pigs I don't think she has ever dressed them. Of course all this was training for her career, up until she had her last two babies she worked at a large pet store handfeeding exotic baby birds.

15. puglady

puglady Well-Known Member

My kids have dressed up our pugs forever, and even our banty hens. I looked out the back window one time, and the middle dd had wrapped up a hen and was rocking it on the swing. I made her put it down, and the poor thing staggered all over the yard. I think dd made her motionsick....

16. bgak47

bgak47 Well-Known Member