Do You Let Your Dog Eat Leftovers Off Of Your Plates?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by OldYellersGhost, Mar 30, 2005.

1. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

The Dishwasher Sterilizes Them Afterall.

2. jlxian

jlxian Also known as Jean Supporter

We used to do this with the dog we had previous to our present buddy. She was in all respects our baby at the time. But not anymore.

3. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

You mean you put them in the dishwasher after the dog licks them clean?!!!! For Heaven's sake-they look clean-I just put 'em back in the cupboard!! :haha: :haha:

Now, before anybody gets grossed out--I'm just kidding!!

4. duke3522

duke3522 Well-Known Member

Sometimes I let the dogs clean up the plates before the dishwasher. Better that stuff goes into the dog than into the septic tank. Besides, I have heard (maybe urban legend here) that if you culture a human mouth and a dogs mouth, you will get much nastier stuff from the human. :eek:

Duke

5. silentcrow

silentcrow Furry Without A Clue

I don't let Zach clean the plates. Any leftover bits go into his bowl. That way he knows if I mess with his food dish, something good will come of it. It helps me avoid food aggression. Plus, If I let him lick plates, he might go after someones dinner if it's left for a second or 2. :)
    As for a dogs mouth being cleaner....have you ever seen the things they eat/lick???!!! :eek:

6. BobK

BobK Well-Known Member

We consider it part of their job...we call it pre-cleaning and if you call out "preclean" you will have a dog at your feet in seconds...hard workers and a great work ethic!

7. MorrisonCorner

MorrisonCorner Mansfield, VT for 200 yrs

*laugh* We feed ours at the end of the meal at the table... with a fork. It teaches them to wait, and take food nicely. But no, I don't let them lick the plates. Dog slobber is a bear to hand wash off dishes!

8. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Ice Cream...yes, and sometimes they lick cake batter from the bowl. Rarely, and they know it's a special treat.
    Washing sterilizes, and besides my dogs probably have better hygeine than most people. :haha:

9. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

We don't, the Rotties used to but then they thought that they could just start munching away as you ate!! Yes they are tall enough to walk up to the table and start eating. So we had to stop that LOL. They now get treats when DH decides to sneak it to em ;) As for the clean plate issue I agree Coalroadcabin why waste the water!!! Isnt there a joke about 2 dogs named soap and water??

10. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Are you kidding??? Licking the plate is the highlight of my Tippy's life. The others just sit back and hope they can get in a lick or two.

11. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Well-Known Member

I let my little spaniel do this only one time and got told.
    I never did it again after that.

12. mamalisa

mamalisa Well-Known Member

Of course. They also get the pots, spoons, etc.----we feed leftovers to everything on the place, to use all the food without waste.

13. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

My yellow lab is the greatest pre-washer on the planet! I'll be in dire straits when she dies! She gets off all the flavor but never damages plastic containers or coated pans. Can't say that for the others. She currently has oldest dog status which means she gets the bulk of the love and attention and first dibs on any plates/pans/etc. She's spoiled rotten but at 13 we figure she might not be around much longer. None of my dogs have ever offered to take things off the table but I'm sure some of that was due to attention paid as youngsters. Plates they are allowed to touch go on the floor. They'll get a rap on the nose if the nose comes up over the edge of the table. Except for her highnieness that is. Her nose regularly comes up to the edge of the table. ;) I will say that we have a dishwasher. Handwashing off that dog slime is worse than just washing the dirty dishes. :haha:

14. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

yes, but we mostly use paper plates...and don't recycle! Anything else gets scraped into Tyegr's bowl....which she checks regularly and gives us beseaching looks if ever it goes empty.

15. willow_girl

willow_girl Very Dairy

:haha:

My beloved Afghan Hound used to sidle up and very quietly and timidly rest his long nose on the table between us, while giving us shifty-eyed glances.

He'd also cruise the countertops when he thought no one was looking! :yeeha:

16. Snuffy Smith

Snuffy Smith Well-Known Member

17. Kathy in MD

Kathy in MD Well-Known Member Supporter

18. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

my hubby does, Ikeep the dishwasher on stirlize cycle.

19. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

Oh my, no! We put any scraps in their bowls well after our meal is finished, or save them for their next meal. We want them to leave folks alone at the table, and licking plates just confuses what is allowed. And yes, one of mine is even with the table in height so could easily help himself if he didn't have manners.

20. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

LOL You know the look then? LOL :no: Ya we have the cleanest butter dish in town when it does not get put away...so funny the dish is right where we left it but its 'clean' and the boy just looks at us...what???? LOL