Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My old dog Daymond has been a wanderer. Often he leaves here at night and goes to town---We know that because we've passed him coming home in the mornings if we leave early.

Now he has taken to bringing his lady friends home. Last week it was a little black and tan. she stayed about four days and left.

This week it is a pit/Dalmation cross; a beautiful, strong, heavy dog with a massive head and chest. All white with the Dalmation spots She's very shy ,barks at me but will come up and take a cookie from my hand. Been here two days; this morning I fed them both, gave them their evening cookies a bit ago. This would not be a dog to cross--she's got too much pit in her.

Does it often happen that a dog brings the ***** in heat to his own place? I have only seen the dog go to the *****. Strange to me..
Ox

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Having a dog is something like having a child. You wouldn't let your child run around all night long. And you can't warn a dog about unwanted pregnancies, but you can spay and neuter and make sure they're not making unwanted puppies all over the place.

You seem like such a level headed guy Ox. You've talked about your dog before. I could never understand why you let him roam like that.

But to answer your question....no, I've not heard of a dog that brings his girlfriends home like that.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
I had a dog named Rudy. He was an American Farm Collie who was about 2 years old when he joined my family. I got him from a mom with 8 kids when we both lived out in the mountains.

He brought pregnant farm dog girlfriends home to have pups. They were never his pups. He was a good and proud daddy anyway. He had his rounds and it wasn't only about the girl dogs. There's food to forage, kids to play with, friends to visit.

After I moved to town, then began working on Main Street, I watched him shoot like a rocket from one side of town to home, jumping fences when I started my car. He was laying on the porch inside my fenced yard when I got home. When we weren't home, he belonged to two other families in different parts of town.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, this is the third lady friend he's brought home. I had forgotten the little black lab he brought home last Summer. Since he'd never done this before I thought she was a stray and took her in, put a collar and tick tag on her. Once she was pregnant she skedaddled. Still don't know whose dog she is. She was a lady without experience; these latter two knew /know what they are doing and
were/are rather emphatic about it.

Summerdaze; Daymond is a farm dog, not a pet. He roams the pastures and gets fed at the barn. He is not confined at night--his job is to keep the varmints at bay as best he can. I'd prefer that he would be a bit larger, but Border Collies just don't get that large. The pit/Dalmation cross here is half again his size. Coyotes she could handle.

There was a fellow here who hunted pigs with dogs. He was breeding Catahoula hounds with pits, and I wonder if this could possibly be a Catahoula/pit cross rather than Dalmation.

·
Registered
4,222 Posts
The working and farm dog breeds are not like having a child, except when they are children and in training. They are highly intelligent independent workers capable of making good choices to such a degree many states have Farm Dog Exemption attached to animal control laws.

We accept their quirky hobbies and lifestyles. They need to unwind after work too.

·
Super Moderator
16,682 Posts
We accept their quirky hobbies and lifestyles. They need to unwind after work too.
Yes, I can see how a single, unattached, hardworking farm dog might like to go to town on a Friday night date in order to unwind! LOL!:kung:

Personally I never had a dog that I trusted that much. The Brittany used to wade in the neighbors pond and they hated that, and the terrier might nip a stranger. I always tried to keep the both of them in.

·
just me
1,770 Posts
My grandfather was a big believer in getting his dogs fixed so that they stayed on the farm. He took time when they were pups marking the borders with them letting them know where was ok and where wasn't. He believed that if the dog wasn't home he wasn't doing his job which was watching the house and livestock. He had one dog that wandered and he got shot for his troubles. My grandfather paid the vet bills and the dog stayed home after.

Now he was always the home that dogs ran to visit, he was always handy with a hot dog for any friendly dog that paid a social call.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts