Do you HAVE to trim hooves?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Rosarybeads, Mar 2, 2005.

1. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

Okay, I have a silly question. Do you have to trim hooves? When we bought our goats one had very long hooves, and before I could get to her, her hoof cracked and broke off, so now it is the right length. I have also noticed this in our horses, we have yet to trim them (there's NO WAY we could handle them, wild things!). Only ones that aren't doing this are the pigs, they look like elves :D (well, not quite!) , but they are getting butchered here shortly. :)

2. shorty'smom

shorty'smom Well-Known Member

Yes, you have to trim the hooves. Once a month we inspect hooves and trim where needed. They need to have any small rocks or forign objects removed too, if anything gets in there. I'll let somebody more experienced tell you the proper way. I have a book I go by, but it would be hard for me to describe it without showing you a picture.

Oh my! You really need to get some help for those horses. You'll have to find a farrier and help to hold them for the farrier. They'll really suffer if their hooves get too long. Don't mean to come down on you, but yes, you really need to get something done about the horses (and the goats).

3. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

I'm going to have to agree... The horses might be chipping uniformly right now, but all it would take would be one to chip too high, and then he'd be lame. Kindof like you bending your fingernail back at the quick...yeowch!

I have a mustang mare in for training right now, and her feet are so marvelous (the perfection of natural selection!!!! I love it!!!) She truely does seem to chip hers away in a perfect arch and at her perfect angle. However, the farrier still looks her over with the others to make sure her soles are firm with no bruising, there's no thrush, and that any overgrowth of the frog is pared away alittle. Remember: when we domesticated them, we took them away from their nomadic life; which included varying terrain and lots more miles traveled... (also, horses in the wild went lame and got eaten on a regular basis; often before their 2nd birthday) So... natural hoof chipping is fine for a wild horse in the wild plains with no one to say how long they wish he would live.... but we love our creatures and are obligated to care for them accordingly, IMHO......

4. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

The goats' hooves will become quite misshapen if you do not keep them trimmed.
    It's pretty easy to do if you keep up with it, and very hard to get them back the way they should be if you don't.

5. Hank - Narita

Hank - Narita Well-Known Member

Anyone have a good way to trim a buck's hooves? Our buck is about 6 years old and smelly. Can't put him in the stanchion. What other ideas do you have to contain him? We haven't trimmed yet and need to for his sake.

6. Wendy

Wendy Well-Known Member

I usually just clip mine to the fence for their trimmings. I don't do it on the milkstand because I do not want them to associate the milk stand with something unpleasant. Clipping to the fence works for me. I just grab a foot & stand along side of them & push them up against the fence. Pygmies I straddle & trim theirs.

7. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Put a collar on your buck. Clip the collar to an eye bolt in a fence post at a little over shoulder height. Clip him close. Trim the side away from the fence. Turn him around, clip him again, and trim the other side.

8. jill.costello

I always just lay my girls on my lap.... I guess with no guidance, you find your own way....

At first it was a touch awkward to have 70 lbs of caprine love lounging across my thighs, but now the girls think of it as special attention!

9. AnnaS

AnnaS Well-Known Member

Hank, I did a collar clip like Wendy, and then did a rope restraint like the old farmers used to use on bulls. You take a long rope, loop it around the neck just above the shoulders, cross it and run under the forelegs, then each end comes out, one on each side, between the inner thigh and scrotum. Tie the ends to a solid post with a quick release knot.
    Give him a minute to shift around. If he moves to either side, the ropes will pinch his favorite parts.
    I used this method with the current visiting buck, who is near 300 lbs. He'd be impossible for me to trim if he didn't want to cooperate. Tied up like this, he was perfectly still- except he was shaking so hard he had a hard time standing on 3 legs. Poor guy!

10. Rosarybeads

Rosarybeads Well-Known Member

Thanks for all your help. We will invest some money in a trimmer. Hope the horsies will cooperate! :D I would imagine that you could do the horses yourself as well, if people do other animals? Granted, I know most have a farrier do it, but really, is there a difference between that and a goat, as far as experience needed? Just do my research and I should be okay, maybe have someone show me how first?

11. jill.costello

Yes, I would definately "shadow" a farrier for a day- try to get a talkative one! You will be soooo glad you did; horses weight so much that the angle that you leave their feet at when you're done will affect how much flex and torque is on their ankles, knees, and hocks. A farrier will show you the SIMPLEST way to find the right angle for each horse.

Good luck!

12. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

There is slight a difference in trimming goats and horses. But DO get those goats trimmed. They could become crippled and/or get hoof rot and really go down. I've always trimmed in the stanchion, it's not unpleasant for the goat at all if done correctly and frequently.

13. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

One thing we did that helps not to have to trim them as often is to give them a rough jumping surface that helps to wear down their hooves. We used two old dog house "tops" (A frame) and they play on them all day long. The houses have rough shingles on the top of them and I noticed that we don't have to trim them up as much, but they still need correcting since the wear isn't flat.

The only thing to watch out for is them eating the shingles! I had one that used to nibble on them, but since we got rid of him, (not for nibbling though) the rest leave the houses alone.

14. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

yes, you must trim hoofs. if you don't they can get a flock of things wrong with them , one being hoof rot.
    our goats, are trimed monthly. except the pregnant goats, we don't trim while they ar expecting, in case you nip one, and they get infected, or something. if you don't know how, have yor vet, or a person, that knows what they are doing , trim the hoofs, and show you how, or do as we did, when starting out, get a book, and follow the instruction's and look at the pictures. Sunday, is trim hoof day here, for this month.
    evryone gets their hoofs, trimed. we crossed tyed our big billy, and it worked very well. our mini bucks, we put on the milk stand. and do their hoofs, and check them , all over once a month. and they get their vit. shot, at the same time.