Homesteading Forum banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

· Registered
453 Posts
I have a sister-in-law who used to put her cow up in the barn every night to keep it from getting bred by the bull, (even though they were all outside together all day)

Rosekytn
That is funny. Did she think it could only happen at night? :yeeha: :haha:

· Registered
1,241 Posts
:) I grew up in a log cabin at the foot of Mt Whitney in CA. ( the Sierras). We were about 9 thousand feet. Got some new neighbors across the canyon one summer. Watched them blow up their cabin(wood stove+wood+gasoline..took them both into the hospital in town), the guy got knocked off the ladder trying roof the place(his wife let go of the roll of tar paper! LOL ....took him in to the hospital in town...again). But the kicker was when he decided to "save" his wifes chickens from a coyote(?). He came over in the Fall and ask for the entrails from some butchering of hogs and took them home. Put them out on a little ridge and parked himself behind a rock. We heard the rifle shot and he came over to our place and said he plugged a cougar! The next morning his wife's cat showed up with it's tail shot off!(we took him into the hospital in town..again! LOL) LOL Yes, we had some fun with neighbors too! :haha: LQ

· Registered
314 Posts
I'm the new one on this mountain-but at least I've lived in the country before. On Monday my soon to be new neighbor (they're moving up when they retire in the spring) was out to get some work done on their house. It sits between my barn and the cattle ranch next door...She was worried about my dogs barking and the rooster she could hear crowing from my neighbors on the other side. My first thought was-YOU BOUGHT A HOUSE NEXT TO A BARN and you're worried about a rooster? Wait until she hears all the commotion when they do the fall roundup and haul off the ones for the years beef!!! It was noisy here for weeks with cattle upset and trucks going in and out. I think they're in for a big surprise. I try to stay home when it snows too...never had to drive in it before now. I'm going to venture out slowly when I have no where to go and no set time to be there so I can learn without any pressure...and I bought snow tires. Not all new people are stupid-most just haven't done their homework and expect things to be the way they've always been. I'm so grateful for the kind folks who have come to help me, talked to me about what to expect and checked in to see how I'm doing. They are going to be people I'll cherish for years. I know I'm going to try to help this couple when they move in...we'll see though, we'll see. She says she just wants to get back to the country (and she's worried about noisy animals when she bought a house next to a barn?) betty

· Registered
573 Posts
Ya know, I don't mean any harm by laughing at other folks and their inexperience, cause heck we were all inexperienced at one time or another. But lots of times the only entertainment we had as country kids was laughing at our city cousins who thought they knew it all. Of course the shoe was on the other foot when us country bumpkins went to town. Ah well, such is life.

RoseKYTN

· Registered
273 Posts
We worked at a local lake resort for awhile and it was fun to watch floks launch their big fancy speed boats. Once this guy showed up with a new Volvo station wagon, pulling a new boat. He backed down the ramp and into the lake, farther, farther, farther, farther, until the water was up to the windows on his Volvo. He hadn't untied the boat from the trailer, soooo the boat and trailer were floating in the lake. He was watching the trailer, not the water...
He called a tow truck to get him out. Blocked the ramp for about an hour.
lacyj

21 - 27 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.