Do You Have These People?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Dec 9, 2003.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Every so often we have people move in we can't help but sit back and watch.Like the people came up from the South.We came home from work one evening 4" of ice on the road,came off this hill around the curve there is a car in the middle of the road,no one around.Found the couple in town at the local Motel with all their Critters in the room.Said it was Spring where they came from,I told them they still had a bunch of Winter here.He told me she was going to work and he was going to Farm their 5 acres on the North side of the hill.They gave up went back South.

Then there was the people that came from Colorado,it was Summer,they had 2 Cars full of stuff,setting around the heat was already getting to them.I told them it was going to get hotter,they told me that they was in New Mexico and it was hot down there,you couldn't tell them it was a different heat,wasn't long and they was gone.

Got a neighbor that is still here he was cutting logs that he thought he would use on his house,he thought they were Oak,I asked him what he was going to do with all that Hickory.He didn't know what to say at first then said he was going to use it for heating wood.

New one now put up a shelter with Chipboard,even used Chipboard for roof,had a good rain he put tarp over part of it,has plastic all over the top now.Neighbor asked him what he had for heat? he said he had a Wood Stove.Neighbor said he didn't have no Flue.She said she looked out there one day,seems he had built a Fire,she said smoke was coming out all over.

And who said living in the country was dull. :haha:

big rockpile

2. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Ya think that's funny!? You should see those people from the South try to drive on our Wisconsin winter roads!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

3. MTNwomanAR

MTNwomanAR Well-Known Member

Ardie, you ought to see these SOUTHERNERS TRY to drive on a light dusting of snow here!!! :haha: If it wasn't so dang dangerous, it would be a hoot to watch!! I just want them out of MY way.... I know how to drive in it.... :yeeha:

4. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

There are just as many stories about the ignorant people who lived here all their lives.......

At least people are always interesting- and sometimes I'm one of them.

5. Ray_Scheel

Ray_Scheel Well-Known Member

I won't claim to be skilled at driving on ice, but of the folks down here fool enough to try to drive when things are iced over, I'm among the better drivers on the road.

I'll always remember an ice storm that came thorugh while I was in college. I was creeping back from the church back to the house on one of the bigger roads - 4 lanes, posted 45MPH, I was driving 20 - and approaching a bridge over another big road (also 4 lans + a left turn lane). Then I saw some numbskull who apparenlty thought that since the streets were empty (even the cops were not driving much), it was perfect for treating the road like his own personal Authbahn, and was flying up on my at 60 mph if he was moving at all. I moved into a lane for oncoming traffic and came to a stop right before going onto the bridge. He zoomed on by me, already starting to fishtail as he passed me, and took up the whole bridge before clearing it and getting back under control about half a block after that. As I started mooving again, he gathered his wits enough to start rolling again himself, and this time he kept his speed around 30 as he drove on...

6. DAVID In Wisconsin

DAVID In Wisconsin Well-Known Member

Ardie,
    I'm one of those southerners (from Lafayette, Louisiana) coping with Wisconsin roads in winter time!!! I have it figured out. When it snows, I stay home. Everyone up here laughs at me but I don't budge. Even a quarter inch shuts me down until it's melted. We're expecting the white stuff tonight. Stopped at the grocery store today. I'm good for a few weeks.

7. dale

dale Well-Known Member

Well I used to drive over the road and a couple of times while delivering in Houston Texas they had a little rain and as most people know that the oil will come to the top of the road until it rains enough till it washes off. Well those people driving down there you would think it was snow or ice they was all over the road and crashing into each other.
    I often wondered what they would do if they were on snow

8. charlieS

charlieS Member

Rockpile;

You are right about people being funny. This forum proves it day by day. We ask some of the most humorous questions and get some really different answers. That is what makes people worth knowing; we're all different. Most aren't stupid. Just experience limited and a lot of us are quick to share our inexperience with others. Art Linkletter had it right. (does Linkletter date me?)

9. big rockpile

dale I was thinking it was clay dust that made streets so slick,freaked me out when I first tried stopping on it.

big rockpile

10. Kirk

Kirk Well-Known Member

Big Rockpile,
    Do we have these people? I AM these people.
    Kirk

11. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Yessir, and last week one of my former students was removed from a bar fight in a VERY small town bar and taken home by friends. He returned minutes later and was shot. :eek: He's recovering, but GEEEEZ...you just shake your head.

However.....some of the indigenous folks aren't right bright, either. When we first moved here, a local farmer leased our land to plant milo and corn. We asked him not to use anyhdrous amonia as fertilizer because it kills the soil bacteria. Expecting him to understand that the bacteria were required to break down previous crop litter was apparently an excessively high expectation. To quote him, "Well, you probably don't want those darn things in there anyway!!" :no:

A statistics class in college convinced me that the idea that our society is evolving to a higher level is completely without merit. You are going to have a bell curve no matter what the group is. The bottom of the bell curve exists and is inexcapable. Just a darn shame that we let them reproduce. :haha:

12. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member Supporter

You should see the stupid yankees that came down here last year. They called me to get a coon out of their house. The wife thought the baby she found was "so cute" and brought it inside as a pet. The 40 pound mama coon didn't take kindly to her baby being taken :haha:

13. John_in_Houston

John_in_Houston Well-Known Member

>Got a neighbor that is still here he was cutting logs that he thought he would use on his house,he thought they were Oak,I asked him what he was going to do with all that Hickory.He didn't know what to say at first then said he was going to use it for heating wood.

Not knowing much about different kinds of wood, I have to ask - is there some reason why you wouldn't want to use hickory in home construction?

14. greenacres

greenacres Well-Known Member

I used to work at Tractor Supply. We would have customers that had been at the flea market and bought a baby calf. They would come in to the store wanted everything they needed for it before they took it home. And it was in the back of the car. (Nothing wrong with that. I think we have all done that!!!) I also had a customer that wanted a range block for his cows to make them all come into heat at the same time!!! :haha:

15. big rockpile

Hickory is an open grain wood it will bend easy and is good for Furniture and Axe Handles,but it will rot fast to.

big rockpile

16. dale

dale Well-Known Member

What really gets me is these guys that buys themselves a new 4X4 and think they are able to do anything as fast as they want.

They think because it's a 4X4 they can run 50-60 mph in the snow or ice. Well they will slide into the ditch like most any other vehicle will. The only thing they have better is they may be able to get themselves unstuck. On our Fire Dept we have a fellow that went all the way thru school but cant read. He is simple. He bought himself a used 4x4 and thought he could go anywhere. One day we had a call and he tried to go thru a ditch... well after we pulled out his truck I think he learned they dont.

And Ice and the 4X4 are enemys on ice you will have better luck with a 2 wheel drive on the flat or down hill. the only time 4x4 is best is on a uphill pull.

Now i know I speak from experience.. once I was on a hill side checking some boat houses and hit a natural spring that had frozen over and i was only going about 2 mph but when i stopped I was sitting in the lake.

dale

17. Surveyorwill

Surveyorwill Active Member

Ok, we are the newbies so I’m not sure how long some of the others on our road have lived there. Last night we got our first real snow of the year, 4-6 inches on the road (if you want to call it a real snow). I broke trail out my drive and for about 6 tenths of a mile up our dirt road, about the last 300 feet to the pavement some else had been on. I had not been on the pavement for more than a half mile when I got to an area where the road goes over a small ridge through a couple of switch backs. Well sure enough, I come around the first corner to see a car in the middle of the road facing me headlights on, parked. I could barely see the guy with a small flashlight next to the truck, trying to get me to stop, because of the glare. Beyond him were three other cars, two of which were in the ditch and the third the guy was guiding back down the hill so the woman could turn around and go home. I waited for her to get out of the way then drove right by them all in my Subaru, one guy even had chains on and was still sideways in the road. Later I talked with my DW she said when she went out there was a 4Runner in the ditch going down the other side of the same ridge.

And I know what you mean about drivers from the south. I was a Fort Stewart, GA for three years and it snowed one year. The people had a habit of cruising up to stop signs and slamming on the breaks, well in the snow just pick an intersection pull up a chair and watch. They fly up slam on the breaks and slide right on through not even slowing down. Funny to watch, scary when you had to drive in that mess.

18. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

:eek:

19. kidsnchix

kidsnchix Well-Known Member

I have a sister-in-law who used to put her cow up in the barn every night to keep it from getting bred by the bull, (even though they were all outside together all day)

Rosekytn

20. wittey

wittey Member

I was born and live for 27 years in NW MO. I have lived in the west for 15 years.
    I have always had to shake my head at this one.
    The faster you drive through the rain puddles the better you can get through.
    I just past all thos that floods out. and then we get to watch the others being rescued on TV news.