Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,751 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After seeing all the kitchens, and hearing about all the great colors, decorations etc--I have to ask--Do you have the gift of decorating? Do you walk into a room (no matter if it is empty or fully decorated) and begin 'rearranging, adding things or taking things out of the room' in your mind? For yrs., I have been told (by lots and lots of people)that I have the 'gift' to make any room look better. I have several nieces, aunts, sil, daughters, dil's and friends that seem to call on me when ever they move or get ready to re-do at their houses. I love doing it and it comes so easy to me--that I don't really think about it. I went over to help a neice because she called me crying (she is having a huge party Sat.) and they have been in this house for 3months and she had not decorated it.. She had started several times then decided it looked terrible and took everything down again. In three hr., we had rearranged the living room, hung 16 pictures and/or sconces, 'dressed' the china cabinet, mantle, 4 bookcases, six tables and placed her house plants..threw out several things she 'thought' she might want to use and brought in several she was going to throw away!

In most cases, I walk through someone's home and do a mental inventory of their what-nots, books, pictures, candle holders and rearrange things to 'see' how they might look... Any one else??? Come on I know I am not the only one...Let's hear it..Queen Bee --who is sometimes a crazy lady!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
I can't decorate for anything. I guess that is why I like the Frank Lloyd Wright / 1920's craftsmen style. The wood and glass do the decorating so I don't have to. I don't like fru fru, pillows or flowers.

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Yes, I do the same thing with other people's homes! I usually start thinking about all the things that need to be taken out of the room because it is so cluttered you really can't SEE anything! But I'm afraid I go further - when we are out walking or driving around, I will tell DH (or myself!) what needs to be changed about the outside of a house! Things like "That house would look so much better if they had a roof over the front door" or "Boy, they need to cut that tree down". If people would just take my suggestions, everything would be so much nicer!! :)

·
Registered
348 Posts
I don't have a decorative bone in my body. Picture this wood floors, white walls, mission style furniture. NO fru fru allowed, the only flower's I have are fresh ones every so often from the farmer's market. I love the Frank Lloyd Wright look, I wish I could find out what colors were used on the walls. Maybe someone with the decorating touch could help me.

·
Black Cat Farm
1,357 Posts
QB and Cindy, please come on over! Please? :)

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
I find that when I have to move, it takes a long time to get the house decorated or even arranged. I have pictures I love that might not "go" too well in the new place. We have lived in our home 1 1/2 years and I still have a pile of pictures, wall hangings, etc in a box waiting for me to decide what to do with them.

Though I love a really put together home - I guess it just isn't a priority right now. and I think I, in a tiny way, resent all the fabric stores getting rid of clothing fabric in favor of home decorating fabrics!

·
Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK
3,306 Posts
Decorating is my passion. I love to clean things up and then make them inviting with a few little touches.

I don't work on other people's homes, unless they ask. They do sometimes. It's fun.

Yes, I have the knack. I'm artistic by nature.

Beauty in my surroundings is essential to me to be happy.

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Definitely decoratively challenged here - can't picture it to save my life - would love to have one of those "just looks right" homes but it never seems to happen.

hoggie

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
Queen Bee - don't you love those how to sell your home shows on TV? Some of the changes they make are a bit odd but most of the time I'm talking to the TV telling them what needs to be done before they get a chance to say it!

Phantomfyre - post some photos so we can give you some ideas!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
huzzyjr said:
I love the Frank Lloyd Wright look, I wish I could find out what colors were used on the walls. Maybe someone with the decorating touch could help me.
There are some websites with pictures. This covers a wide variety of interior photos

http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&va=frank+lloyd+wright+interior&sz=all&ei=UTF-8&fr=yfp-t-471-s&b=1

Walls were mostly a creamy white while the pop comes from natural elements such as wood and stone, from stained glass in dark yellows, oranges, and browns and from boldly colored furnature. If you think of the sunset fading into rich soil you'll have the colors.

·
If I need a Shelter
21,532 Posts
Not a Gift but does get interesting if DW leaves me alone.

New Rugs

big rockpile

·
Premium Member
15,516 Posts
I'm a slow decorator. Ideas come to me quietly and I add things to our home when I'm inspired to do so.

When we bought this house, some darn fool tried to make it look modern. Now how does an old farmhouse look modern, I'd like to know!

I slowly changed everything to look plain and simple yet homey...like an old farmhouse should look!

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
StoneFence said:
I want ot hire one of you! I have the opposite of a gift. The best I can do is de-clutter.
That is the best 1st step for decorating. Clutter destroys the peacful feeling I like in rooms.

The problem I have with decorating is deciding if I want to live with it that way for a long time....other people's houses are easier because I can go home to my more bland home and relax.

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
Nope...I have no gift of decorating :(

·
Registered
713 Posts
Ardie/WI said:
I'm a slow decorator. Ideas come to me quietly and I add things to our home when I'm inspired to do so.

When we bought this house, some darn fool tried to make it look modern. Now how does an old farmhouse look modern, I'd like to know!

I slowly changed everything to look plain and simple yet homey...like an old farmhouse should look!

Me, too. And when I get inspired....DH gets scared. It's usually a massive amount of work, BUT little money. I like to see how much I can do w/ how little, ya know?

I also like plain and simple, but I love handmade, handpainted, creative stuff.

Rachael

1 - 16 of 16 Posts