Do You ....Have Road Runners in your State???

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by fordy, May 30, 2004.

1. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.................As far as I can Tell I've got atleast 2 pairs of sitting Roadrunners with nests on the south end of my 5 acres here in north Texas. They are supposed to be very accomplished Snake killers so I have tried to give them as much space as possible. Besides they are one of the most interesting birds around. I would guess that they range all over the southwest and maybe all along the gulf coast but I'm not sure. Was trying to get a feel for how widely distributed they really are.........fordy... :eek: :)

2. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

We have em' here in central Oklahoma too. I love too watch them run up the road. I've only seen one run across our property before, so I'm not sure where they nest around us. I didn't know they would kill snakes though, that's pretty cool.
    Do they nest on the ground in brushy areas? I don't know that I've ever seen one fly. :confused:

3. Alice In TX/MO

Alice In TX/MO More dharma, less drama. Supporter

Here on the coastal plain of Texas, we have only the occasional road runner. They prefer dryer climate.

4. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

...........They can run alot faster than old Wylie Coyete, and they can both fly and glide for fairly long distances. I, believe that they nest in trees as I haven't seen any nests on the ground. I guess I should do a google search and see what pops up. .............fordy... :eek: :)

5. Ozarks_1

Ozarks_1 Well-Known Member

We've got road runners here in north central Arkansas.

It's amusing to watch the dogs chase one ... especially when they come to the field fence. (We've got one dog that just won't learn about fences.)

6. bethlaf

bethlaf Homegrown Family

southern mo , near branson , yeah , we have them , and yes, they do kill snakes actually called "greater roadrunner" and south west mo /nw ark. is about as far east as they go

road runners range from az,nm,tx,ok,mo,ar and mexico
    , eats snakes scorpions,eggs, small rodents,
    related to the cukoo bird, wow , didnt know that....nest in cacti and low growing shrubs
    they DO not migrate!

Beth , your amateur orinthologist

7. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

We have them skinney chickens here in the lower valley mostly on the western end though. of course theres the one on my belt buckle .thats from when I worked for Roadrunnertrucking/distributionout of El Paso.

8. TXlightningbug

TXlightningbug Well-Known Member

I used to see them all over West Texas from Amarillo to Snyder to Midland/Odessa. Last one I saw was in Parker Co. when I went to visit a friend in Weatherford. Little dickens tried to outrun the car down the country road. We had a hard time keeping up with him until he veered off the road and disappeared into the brush and cacti.

Love 'em! TXlightningbug

9. havellostmywings

havellostmywings Well-Known Member

we have seen them over in the "valley" here in texas.. Rio Grande Valley... and we had them were i lived in California... in fact they nested around one over pass in the Littlerock Area of So Calif... and in the mornings and evenings you would see them running up and down the soft shoulder of Pear Blossom Highway...

Lynn in Texas

10. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, I'm glad to know you'all have seen them. People thought I was nuts when I told them I saw one in the Missouri Ozarks. Must not be very many cause the locals aren't talking about them yet.

11. CJ

CJ Well-Known Member Supporter

We have them here in southern MO, we're in Mansfield, an hour east of Springfield, 2 hours northeast of Branson. I've never seen one in our woods or pasture, but they're always running up and down the goat trail we live on :)

12. Jena

Jena Well-Known Member

no road runners here, but i remeber them from going to phoenix when i was little....it was not quite the metropolis it is today.

i do have a brass road runner in my living room and a really small picture of one in my bedroom.

relics of my desert rat past.

jena

13. SteveD(TX)

SteveD(TX) Well-Known Member

I don't know where you are in N. Tex., but I've got a few of them at my place in Athens, TX. I think they like the sandy soil. They nest near the main roadway and occassionally will challenge us to a race. I like them too and wish we had more of them.

14. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

....................Steve, I live 10 miles north of wford , tx and we've always had'um out here. They seem to have a real pallete for rattlesnakes, and copperheads , Too, I hope. ...........fordy... :eek: :)

15. MMyers1

MMyers1 Well-Known Member

Texas, Residing in DFW area, working toward North
    DW and I saw one moving across our place the other day. Our land is located north of Stephenville... off 281, but south of I-20. I was really glad to see the critter there. we have had the land for 3 years and only seen one snake.... maybe I know why now! ;)

16. Does anyone know what kind of sound a roadrunner makes? Somebody told me that a roadrunner & a raincrow are the same bird. I live in East Texas & we have both here, so maybe they are the same.

17. james dilley

james dilley Well-Known Member Supporter

We also have a rare? bird here in the valley its calleda ,Chocaloka, Not sure of the spelling ,only found in 3 counties in the united states.

18. mousecat33

mousecat33 Well-Known Member

Chacalaca according to TP&W..

Had a male roadrunner jump up on a stump making a croaking sound while eyeing some of my RIR hens.. The girls were interested and started towards him about the same time he saw me and split. Pretty wild little encounter.....

Oh, North of Cedar Creek Res. here, see them most every day....
    Even saw a jackrabbit and a Cara-cara (Mexican Eagle)...

mc

19. j.r. guerra in s. tx.

j.r. guerra in s. tx. Well-Known Member

Beep Beep ;) In Tex Mex, Paisano (pie sah know - compatriot) is a slang term for road runners.

Wow, even Chacalacas were mentioned in this thread . . . those birds are almost as rare as the parrots which are only now coming back to this side of the Rio Grande, migrating back from Old Mexico.

20. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

Oh, LOL! Guess he looked like forbidden fruit to the girls - new stud in town! :haha: