Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Super Moderator
16,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This year I have some herbs under lights for the winter, and I will plant them out next spring. I have 20 hyacinth bulbs that I am trying to force, and again I will plant them out next year. And, I am considering using the tiller to work up a strip of ground to plant a lot of daffodils in.

Lastly, I have an idea for no-dig potatos. I have some 6x6's that I can set out parralell to each other, and I can plant potatos between them and then fill them with dirt. A second course can be laid on top and filled when the potatos break the surface. Then, when I am ready to eat them, I need only pull apart the 6x6s and pick the spuds out with my fingers. No digging required.

The spot I have chosen had a row of top crop bush beans last year and peas the year before, so I expect the soil to be pretty good. I will also fertilize.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I'm still working on my plans for this year. I have seeding/transplanting/harvest dates all charted out but now working on what goes in what beds to get more out of my beds this year without having to expand to fit everything. I haven't really done successive planting before other than once something finishes I toss some short day lettuce in beds or something like that... So trying to get the overall plot plan laid out now. Started my first seeds last weekend, started more tonight but most of them will be early so will go in the greenhouse. I have tomato plants that are still barely alive in the greenhouse, started some replacements already figuring the greenhouse will start warming up a lot faster than the garden. I am still working on finishing my hoop house and need to haul dirt in yet, so plans might continue to change right along with the seasons.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Gonna dig up the rest of my backyard and some of my front yard for much needed garden space.

I was gonna leave room for the kids and dog to play, but the school yard and the bush aren't too far away for us to walk to. A block or so to one side, the bush; a block or so to the other side, the school.

We want more growing space for our needs.

Also gonna order my seeds soon, also build some sort of shelving unit seedling starter. June 21st or so, is our usual last frost date. I usually start seedlings in our free windows, won't have enough room this year.

Basement seedling shelving unit it is!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I built a bench that is 30ft long plus about 20 ft of a second level inside our hoophouse to set seed trays on this year because we ran out of room in the greenhouse last year.

·
Registered
533 Posts
I ordered a bunch of dwarf fruit tree seeds... Lemon, lime, Mandarin oranges, peaches, maybe a few others I'm not thinking of now. I have read it will take five years to get anything off of them growing them from seed, but I figured I might as well try. I will pick a few of each type to keep in buckets that I can move indoors or in the greenhouse for winter and sell anything else I get to grow. So far my lemon seeds are going crazy, not sure if the key limes or Mandarin oranges have sprouted yet...

·
Super Moderator
16,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hu.

Where did you order the fruit tree seeds from? Because I have not seen them offered. THAT is a catalogue I would love to browse through!

·
Registered
533 Posts
I bought some on Amazon and some on eBay. Some of them I have not received yet which are apparently coming from China, but I think they had to eat the fruit then clean the seeds off first before they send them to me because I ordered them a month ago and now it's saying they won't arrive until late this month.

My biggest thing was trying to find dwarf trees so they stay small enough to move in buckets... Time will tell if that's real or if they tricked me. The pictures they show seem like they are fully loaded trees in large pots so hopefully it's real...

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've saved some jugs and plan to try winter sowing a few things. Seeds have arrived, my 2018 garden planner has been started, and I'm halfway through with a new hugel bed. Now to figure out where each plant will go.

·
Premium Member
5,204 Posts
This year I am going to add some more fruit trees, fruit bushes but I don't want the losses like I have had in years past so I am hoping to add some fabric mulch and irrigation. My ground is very light sand that lacks in nutrients. I need to get mulching and building up the top soil. So a short term thing will be the fabric mulch and in time have nature take over. I want to add about 10 trees, Red raspberries, clover etc.

In my established areas I want to add some more mulch under my fruit trees and plant daffodils and garlic. I need to add some moth traps too like the guy has on the permaculture orchard video. I have a pond not too far away but I will probably add some more bird baths, bird houses and feeders. I am also thinking of adding some bat houses.

I have not done well with grapes so far but this year I hope to try again. I will study now and plant properly this Spring :) In years past my late husband would weed whack whatever ones i actually kept alive... now he is sitting on the book shelf in a box so I dont think he will whack any more of my plants. I think this will be my year to get grapes going properly! LOL!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts