Do you have "Good ole neighbors"

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by fitwind, Dec 3, 2006.

1. fitwind

fitwind Well-Known Member

We recently had a snowstorm adn got quite a bit of snow i was snowed in for the day. My DH was using the snow shovel to dig us out adn the post lady used her 4 wheel drive and made us tracks that i could use. I was taken my DD sledding and slipped intothe ditch in our lane. We tried for 2 hrs and couldn't get the truck out so we went home. My DH looked out the window and the neighbor was in his tractor going down the 300 yd lane he had pulled our truck out then he bladed our lane. It has been so long since I have seen or even heard of such a neighborly thing to do. I gave him a dozen fresh eggs and offered him some more anytime he wanted. He will be on my Christmas list that's for sure. I hear so much about the bad neighbors. Does anyone have any good ole neighbors? It would be nice to hear about some good things that you could think of during this Christmas season. +

2. halfpint

halfpint Well-Known Member Supporter

I love all of my neighbors! We all watch out for each other, helping out in storms, loss of power, sickness and such. When I read the stories of bad neighbors on this board, I thank God for the ones that I have.

Last year my FIL got our tractor stuck in the mud (he was in mud almost up to the seat with the front end sticking up). One of our neighbors came to help him out, and ended up with his tractor stuck also. Another neighbor came with a winch and was able to get ours out, and then with our tractor and the winch we were able to get the other tractor out.

Dawn

3. Beltane

Beltane Enjoying Four Seasons

How nice of them! We are very lucky to have great neighbors on both sides of us...we visited with the ones to the west eariler today and the ones on the east came by for a visit about a hour later. We are truely blessed. Mind you...these are relationships we worked at. Good things don't always come easy. :rolleyes:

4. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

We moved here in 1999, and in 2000, we had a tornado that came through the woods around us and took down 100's of trees. We have a small piece of property, yet over 100 came down on our's alone! We had 6 trees fall on our house, and dh was outside looking it over when a neighbor that lives 4 miles away, came up to see the damage. He is a dairy farmer, and next thing you know, he pulls in driving his big tractor. He took all the trees off the house, and would not take anything for it. Other people stopped as soon as they could get through to offer help.

That's just one instance, but over the years I have seen many times, of people out here helping each other. And some of the people who live out here, moved here from NYC, yet are the first to offer to help.

katlupe

5. Tana Mc

Tana Mc Well-Known Member Supporter

Yeah.... I have one neighbor that we keep an eye on because he is a nut case but when he is sober, we get along fine. Otherwise, we live in a wonderful community. Truth be told, we are probably the "odd ducks" in the neighborhood. Homeschooling, goat milking, hog farmers with lots of kids and critters.....
    I know with out a doubt if I broke down, got stuck or had some other problem with a vehicle on the way to town, it probably would not take 10 minutes before someone would come along and bail me out.
    Sometimes, I get a little whipped out of shape because there really are no secrets in a small town and everybody knows your business. But all in all, we have found a nice balance. We moved here almost 8 years ago and I hope that we never have to leave.
    Tana Mc

6. ginnie5

ginnie5 wife,mom,taxi driver,cook Supporter

yes we used to years ago before we moved here. I remember one winter we had a major snow. Dh was working out of town and there was no way my car was going anywhere.....snow was up to the top of the tires. I kept hearing this sound and looked out and a neighbor had his tractor out there scraping the drive for me....got as close to my car as he could. He was older so I was surprised by that. After that I got the car out easily.

7. Hears The Water

Hears The Water Well-Known Member Supporter

You know, I think it is very often a case of "what comes around goes around". When we had the big snow this week I was un-able to get out, but while J was shoveling us out, I sent him over to the neighbor to the north to offer to help him shovel. Then the next day when we tried again, the neighbor to the northwest was stuck. J was able to help him out that time too. But later one I came back for J, and I got stuck. Both the neighbors came out to help me! When I was at the store I bought them both a big jar of candy and made them home-made cards telling them thank you. I really and truely do appreceate their help. I just hope that this is the beginning of good relations with both of them. They are both nice people. It feels good to see this kind of thing doesn't it?
    God bless you and yours
    Deb

8. Wildwood Flower

Wildwood Flower Halfway, OR & Wagoner, OK

I live in Oregon part time, and Oklahoma part time
    If there were a contest I would win ...because I have the world's best neighbor...his name is JIM. Jim has been helping me and my husband ever since my husband broke his neck almost 5 years ago...well, long before that.

He helps with the horses so my husband can still enjoy them, does all of the worming and shoeing and feeding. When we're away, he looks after our dog and 2 cats as well.

If I need anything fixed, he's really handy. He comes by every Saturday and Sunday just to check on us.

And last year he even played Santa Claus for our grandchildren!

My husband has given him some fine colts, but still....NOTHING could ever repay our good neighbor JIM!

9. PyroDon

PyroDon Well-Known Member

We have "good Ole neighbors and try to be good ole neighbors .
    our drives a half mile long I made a drag to get the snow off . went up to the black top . cleared one neighbors drive after pulling her son out , then went to the next drive over also a half mile long with two houses at the end . ran out of gas just past the first house :rolleyes: walked home got gas had the wife drive me back, finished the main drive then bladed the snow from behind the cars .
    Even did the neighbor that keeps complaining to the zoning board about our fire works . would have done a couple more drive but the other neighbors with tractors were out by that time .
    today we took the kids "redneck sledding" riped the hood off an old ford truck tied it on behind the tractor and road around the drive and field , they had a blast.

10. AngieM2

AngieM2 Big Front Porch advocate

W. Flower you have a great neighbor...

My good neighbor is the lady in front of me in the little trailer park. She loves working outside and mows all the time, and she does the little bit of my place that needs mowing when she does hers. I do her mending, and mending for her extended family.

Now when they have a family feast, she'll bring me a plate or a portion of what she's made, and we work on figuring out what we want to grow between our two trailers.

So it works out for us....

Angie

11. FiddleKat

FiddleKat Mother,Artist, Author Supporter

fitwind its so good that you have great neighbors to help you out when needed.
    We never really had those kind of neighbors until we moved last year to where we are now. We have awesome neighbors. We were here only a week and the regulator on our water line needed fixin. Our neighbor at the end of the road had his son fix it.
    Then our neighbor across the way insisted we use their brand new tiller for our garden instead of renting one. So when thier riding mower ran out of gas we gave them some.
    And our neighbor next door helped us build our shed.
    We do things for each other all the time and it does make life alot easier to live in a place.

12. Spinner

Spinner Well-Known Member

I live in a community that is very close, but they don't except outsiders. I've only been here 15 years and I'm still the outsider. My son is considered a local cause he went to school here. Everyone waves when we pass on the road, but they don't invite outsiders to their homes and they don't go to an outsiders home to visit. When a storm blows a tree across the road, someone shows up with a chain saw and takes home the firewood.

13. valschickens

valschickens Big Brother's Watching

In our little town, a firefighter died last Christmas Eve, leaving behind his wife and SIX KIDS! The community held a fund-raiser spaghetti dinner and I swear, every single resident of this town showed up that night for dinner. They raised over $12,000.

People donated clothes, food, help with the baby, farm-fresh eggs, etc.

Then about 8 months later, Extreme Home Makeover took over this town and built them a beautiful home! Roads were detoured everywhere to give the team some space to work. Bus drivers donated their time to shuttle people to and from the site. A local gas station donated all the gas for those buses! Businesses from the county all came together and donated to the cause.

It was truly one of the most awesome sites to see. People all working together for this one woman and her family. I don't think there was ever a dry eye.

Val

14. Ardie/WI

Ardie/WI Well-Known Member Supporter

Out here, everyone watches out for everyone else! Our neighbor plows us out and Roger welds his sawmill equipment when needed. There are no secrets here and everyone is related to everyone except us. I know 75% of the vehicles that drive by our place.

I was just telling a newbie member of our church that, if I needed help and Roger was away I could phone any one of my neighbors and I'd have more help than I needed. If I needed anything, it would be there.

A neat thing happened this week. A former church member, who had to leave because his DW created a awful situation, had a huge health issue and it seems that the church and community is rallying around him and his family. We may not like what his DW did but she now needs support and she will get it.

15. tamatik

tamatik Well-Known Member

We moved to a very small community in central manitoba.Everyone was friendly even tho we didn,t "look" like the folks around..It was not unusual to hear something and look out 2 see someone plowing our driveway.when our house burned down all the neighbours were there helping the firefighters and one neighbour contacted the motel to make sure we had a room for the week or so.It was in the middle of hunting season and rooms were scarce.She evn called the radio station and feilded hundreds of calls from people offering assistance.A local gov agency that handles low income homes called me up and asked if we would like a BUNCH of furniture..apparently someone moved out and left a whole houseful..After the alotted time the gov service needed to get rid of this stuff so they could rent the place again..I drove up there and loaded up coffe tables,couches and chairs.kitchen set etc.They usually just haul it to the dump if it was bad stuff but the fella saw how good it was and called me.I was shocked.The local ag/fert place sent over a truck with 5000 gal tank and left it for "as long as we want"so we could water the animals.our water system was totaled rite up to the well.Most of these people we only knew in passing but they just kept coming.We love them.eventually we moved out when the bad memories/depression wouldn,t let us forget .The neighbour across the road made all our meals for the last 3 days cause she said"well you can,t cook when your stuff is packed".We miss the folks back there.This has shown us that there really are people who care and watch out for their nieghbours.We are very humbled by the responses and also happy to have neighbours that still know what the word "neighbour" means.
    Gord

16. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

we have good old neighbours and are good old neighbours!! :dance: :help: never know when you will need or be needed! :p :hobbyhors bread cast upon the waters.................

17. shar

shar Well-Known Member

Dh And I Built Our Retirment Home About 2 1/2 Hours From Where
    We Now Live. While We Were Building It Ourselves, One Neighbor
    Cliff Who Is A Retired Electrician, Came Over And Helped Dh Put In The Electric, The Next Door Neighbor Jack Is A Retired Plumber And He Helped Dh Plumb The House. You Know You Have Great Neighbors
    When You Have A Problem With Your Septic And You Have 5 Of The
    Neighbor Guys Helping You Fix The Problem. ( Not A Pleasant Job To Do). When We Are Not There The Neighbor Next Door Gets The Mail And Puts It In The House, Also Does A Quick Look To Make Sure The
    Furnace And Hot Water Heater Is Ok. When A Strange Car Comes Into The Drive He Is Out There Being Friendly But Making Sure They Belong There. When The Propane Is Low Or When A Tree Fell During A
    Storm We Always Get Phone Calls Letting Us Know. We Have Great
    Neighbors And Are Anxious For The Day To Come When We Can Spend More Than A Week End There. And Hopefully Repay Their Kindness.

18. mama2littleman

mama2littleman El Paso

Thank you all for making me smile and giving me hope. I currently live in a subdivision and miss my old hometown. It was similar, everyone knew everyone. People looked out for one another. You may not particularly care for someone, but you would never leave them in a lurch.

I can't wait to move out of this suburban maze.

Nikki

19. rebelfarmer

rebelfarmer Well-Known Member

you guys make me jealous..my family has lived in this community for 5 generations my kids make 6. the community was realy good till the older people died and nebies from cal, fl, and big citys moved into this community now it has gone down hill. most people will drive by when your in a ditch or throw the snow or dog poo on your land
    one of my neighbors is a dope dealer.she has been under survalence off an on for about 2 yrs.
    the other neighbor is ex pi she thinks she is a cop.after talking nicely to them about keeping their 30 yr old son away from our 2 yr old ds and 5 yr old dd she has been a butt to use. we szeeze wrong we have dhs or sherrif at house. o the joy. the guy has already molested 1 kid in this community. the dad/exfamily was afraid to press charges so the guy is still out on the street.
    so you guys are lucky to have neighbors like you do.

20. Charleen

Charleen www.HarperHillFarm.com Supporter

Even when there isn't a problem to pitch in and help with, I'll take a dozen eggs, goat milk fudge or a bar of homemade soap to some local people & businesses; neighbor, corner store, tractor repair man, post office, etc.

As ford_major posted - never know when you will be in need.