Do you have bamboo AND goats? Can it grow?

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Ark, May 11, 2005.

1. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

If I try to start some bamboo growing, fence it off temporarily, and let it get a good start, will the goats be able to keep it from growing out of control in the years to come?
    I really want some for privacy from the road, but dh is afraid it will take over the land. We do have plenty of goats to keep the new shoots eaten up. I am more afraid that it wont be able to survive at all due to the goats!
    Thanks for any help,

Rachel :)

2. TexCountryWoman

TexCountryWoman Gig'em

I would be afraid that the bamboo would be one of the few things that might actually out do goats. My grandpa started a stand of bamboo back in the day for fishing poles. Now it has literally grown through the old farm house kithen about 50 feet from where he started it. It covers about half an acre now. It has been several decades but it is horribly invasive and once started, there is no way to stop it. However, you are in the hill country where there is less rain. This stand is just east of Austin where the earth is a bit softer and there is a bit more rain. I am assuming you are in a rockier area. Perhaps the bamboo would have a harder time. I have some potted bamboo from his stand and it always gets out of the pot through the drainage holes and makes plants each year that I have to kill out with great difficulty. I keep it outside year round on the northside of the house and it does survive in zone 8 even if we have unseasonable cold weather (like several nights in the twenties). I will never let mine out of the pot because of what it did to that old farm house, it flat ate it up right throught the house. If you have a large ranch and can put it way far away, you might try it, but if it takes hold, you will never elimanate it, even with goats! (IMO) Tough stuff!....Diane

3. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Thanks Diane!
    I am so desperate for a fast growing privacy screeen from the road. We have 10 acres, and lotsa goats, and they have pretty much wiped out the shin oak.
    Hmmm... I'll have to think about this some more now! :)
    Rachel

4. Laura Workman

Laura Workman (formerly Laura Jensen) Supporter

Check it out for your area, but the hybrid poplars could grow bigger faster than bamboo, and aren't invasive. You'd have to fence them off, though.

5. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Yes, those poplars do great here, but they aren't evergreens... :no:
    Thanks anyway though!
    :) Rachel

6. bill not in oh

bill not in oh Well-Known Member

Hey Ark

There are several different varieties of bamboo and one of them (at least) is a non-spreading type. I don't remember where I saw the information on them, but if I rediscover it, I'll post the source.

Bill

7. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

Thanks Bill, that'd be great!
    Rachel