Do you have a winter hobby?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by jackie c, Oct 8, 2004.

1. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Just wondering what everyone does over winter, especially those who live in a cold winter climate. What kind of hobbies/interests do you persue during those cold dark months?

I like to make things from nature, my main interest is making peeled diamond willow funiture like chairs, tables etc. I find peeling the willow is very relaxing and exciting. The exiciting part is when diamonds uncover themselves, so unique!

2. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

I make wine from fruit pulp I freeze during the summer, make wooden and styrofoam model airplanes, container garden, play livingroom putt putt, play online chess, checkers and battleship, paint and sketch, write and during the pre christmas season I run "Santas Helper Gift Assembly and Stash it till Christmas Service... You put the thought into the gift, let the elf put it together". Its amazing how many folks are willing to pay $10 to have a gift assembled and stashed in your secure storage building for a few weeks. :)

3. jassytoo

jassytoo Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't do as much as Shrek thats for sure. Great idea about the Christmas gifts by the way Shrek. I generally do all the inside chores I left undone during the summer. Painting, heavy cleaning, sorting through and getting rid of excess stuff. I like to cross stitch when I have time and I tend to cook and bake more too.

4. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

I am a hand quilter, I also water color, tole pain, crochet and knit. I had a wonderful grandmother and godmother growning up that tought me alot of crafts. This fall I am going to make christmas aprons for gifts for the ladys in the family. Also since I live in Mo and I have 3 people to get christmas gifts for in Calif I decided on somthing a little different. My sister and her daugher
    (daughter is 15) and also a female room mate. I am sending them a box with 3 hat and scarf sets that I will crochet. Then a box of gram crackers, a few hershey choc bars and a bag of marshmellows. Then I will add one of those little campfire bar-b-q's, you know the little round metal one's I think they are like 5 dollars. Anyway I will also put in a paperback romance novel and sign it for a winterday on the beach. LOL They live just north of San Fran so it will give them a fun day out when the post holliday blues hit. I try and give gifts that they can tell I gave alot of thought to. The way I look at it I could spend alot of money and buy somthing they didn't really want or need and it would get put away and not really even think about it, but a few years down the road they will remember the fun winter day at the beach they had from a christmas box, or so I hope LOL.

5. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

I crochet a lot (can do that while I watch TV or listen to music), I paint crafts, and this year I'm working on my guitar technique. Those long winter nights can drive me crazy if I don't have something to do.

6. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

jazzytoo,

The santas helper time is probably my most enjoyable because I am here by myself, can take my time following the build procedure and I get to see toy designs taking shape before me and it often gives me ideas to incorporate into some of my projects here. I really dont do that much when you consider that all my time is spent here on the knoll.

7. FrankTheTank

FrankTheTank Well-Known Member

Sledding with a snow tube (fast), ice fishing on the Mississippi<--I only eat the little ones!, ATV riding (You can ride on the lake and river as long as the ice is thick enough).

Last year we went riding after a good snowstorm. Not fun. The big ATV (Grizzly) handled it just fine, but the smaller Yama Big Bear was slow because of the lack of clearance.

Winter doesn't have to be depressing, you just have to dress for it.

8. romancemelisa

romancemelisa Well-Known Member

i'am a leo and left handed and am suppose to be talented,(that is what everyone say's about left handed people and it is a trait of leo's) well i have not found my talent yet. i seem to lack the patience for one, though i'am going to try quilting this winter, i have worked on some projects with my late grandmother and would like to carry this legacy on for her, as far as i know, there is no one in our family who knows how. but i will be spending a lot of time in a small trailer this winter, so maybe i won't have a choice and will learn how. i hope so i miss my grand mother immensly. maybe i should brush up on my spelling skill to. o.k.

9. romancemelisa

romancemelisa Well-Known Member

i'am jealous

10. 3girls

3girls Well-Known Member

I quilt and needlepoint. But I also work on garden projects all winter long. There is the gathering and documenting of expenses, plans, ordering, etc. One starts to order seeds in January, plans garden layout, plan chicken order, schedule timing. There are a number of projects outside, ending with the final leaf gathering on Thanksgiving. Also, during the "school year" there are classes and meetings to attend. Frankly, there is just not time to sit and veg with a clear conscience. I still do it, but struggle with the guilt.

Sandi

11. jackie c

jackie c Well-Known Member

Amen!

12. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I read a lot. This year I have my very own sewing/craft room and hope to get into painting again (I have a degree in Art, but haven't done anything in years). I plan to spend LOTS of time in my sewing/craft room. I also want to start refinishing furniture again, something I loved to do in the past.

13. Christiaan

Christiaan Dutch Highlands Farm

Weaving, fixing up what broke during the summer, having friends over more often (they like to visit out here to escape Seattle) planning the garden, deep cleaning the incubator and deciding what to raise, budgeting the animals for the next year. I forgot to budget in the tanning and horn mount of the steer this year. Oops! Most of the time is spent raising the 3 year old granddaughter.

14. breezynosacek

breezynosacek Well-Known Member

Reading, studying new skills, quilting, painting, I will probably do some crocheting, clothing sewing.

Maybe I can finally get some angora rabbits and make a nice sweater come spring.

15. Trisha-MN

Trisha-MN www.BilriteFarms.com

LOL by the time we bust out all the frozen water pails, dig out of the snow, get the vehicles/tractor started, feed the animals and do other outdoor chores its time for a nap and then we get to do it all over again ;)

If there's a blizzard and we have some free time, we read a lot (major hobby for us!), I crochet and DH makes beer and we even sometimes catch up on TV shows that we don't get to watch all summer.

G-o-t t-o k-e-e-p m-o-v-i-n-g o-r f-r-e-e-z-e i-n p-l-a-c-e :D

16. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Jackie, I remember a guy that used to offer willow furniture to sell at the local Farmer's market. There was also a pair that reweaved (or whatever you would call it) the frames of discarded lawn furnature. They used some type of fat twine? and made various patterns. Was quite attractive.
    Have you entertained using grape vines for anything. These are apparently used in craft work.

I build custom fishing rods and have a few favorites like musky rods. I will write on occasion if the mood hits. I also read more in winter than other seasons. Today I picked up several books from the Library including Whitetail ecology and management, earthworms, and a new book about Farley Mowat. Just finished a book about how Quetico-Superior and Voyageurs Parks came into existence.
    I like to also clear trails for snowshowing and x country skiing in the snow and simply for walking especially in the late fall.

Rich

17. Little Quacker in OR

Little Quacker in OR Well-Known Member

:) Quilting, Photography, Dogs and Ducks! LOL Not that we have much of a winter but it's nice to stay inside and quilt with no guilt! :haha:

LQ

18. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I like to oil paint. Mostly wildlife. Sometimes I sew or quilt.

19. Kygardengal

Kygardengal Well-Known Member

I plan next year's garden, sew, quilt, write children's stories, cook, bake lots of goodies and all of the stuff I don't have time to do in the summer.

20. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

I hunt, make any needed repairs to the race car so I can tear it up again come spring, brainstorm and plan the upcoming spring/summer projects, sew, make some bead crafts, read, chase munchkins around the house, start snowball fights, and complain because I end up doing most of the winter butchering in the cold by myself. :haha: