Do You Have A Specialty For Setting Out Your Tomatoes Plants?

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by Hee Haw, May 19, 2006.

1. Hee Haw

Hee Haw Well-Known Member

It would be interesting to know how many different ways people plant their tomatoes plants. I heard someone say put epsion salt under it, and another say lime and horse manure? What does best for you? Do you have your own specialty? One old timmer even said put a little corn meal under it to draw the earth worms,to condition and fertlize the soil,havent tried that one.

2. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i just amend my soil like anywhere else with manure compost, etc. my special thing is to bury them up to their necks. they can take it and i feel it gives a sturdy plant.

3. mamastars

mamastars Well-Known Member

I always put two handfuls of crushed egg shells in the hole and mix with the dirt, then plant the tomato up to the leaves. The shells prevent blossom rot. That's what the grandparents did to all calcium in the soil.

4. johnghagen

johnghagen Well-Known Member

I have growed for market for years and here are some tips for vine ripe tomatoes on the fourth of July in central IL. Shallow trench long ways,one tablespoon bone meal in trench.Lay tomatoe plant in trench with just top out of dirt.Cover and firm dirt.When you water the plant add one tablespoon of epson salt to two gallons of water,do this once when first planted and again when in bloom.Put tomatoe cage around plant,one made out of fence wire and wrap plastic around it with top open, secure with duct tape remove when outside temperature reaches 70F.

5. kitaye

kitaye Well-Known Member

After this year I'll be putting organic material from the composter into the hole at the bottom. We did it this year and the compost was only partially finished so we added worms. Planted the tomatoes 2 weeks ago and have blossoms now. The plants have grown a 5 inches or more. Responded very well to the partially composted vegie matter.

6. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

Like someone else said, I keep all my eggshells throughout the year and put them in a couple of 5 gal buckets. WHen mater planting season gets here, I do a 3:1 mix of soil and egg shells. I also bury them about 6 inches into the soil, with a twist. I lay the tomato in the hole with the roots facing left or right so the trunk forms an "L".