Do you have a Sign out front?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HilltopDaisy, Jan 20, 2005.

1. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

Just wondering if you have a sign out in front of your place, with the name of your homestead, whether you have a business or not.

I dream of the day that I put a nice wooden sign out at the end of my driveway, "HilltopDaisies", printed in a nice semi-circle across the top, with the words Fresh Eggs, Honey, and Produce, listed below. It may be years before I am able to do this, but I design the sign in my head practically every day, the perfect size, the colors, how it will hang, etc..

Tell us about your sign!

2. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Only one I ever hung up said 'No Hunting, Private Property'. <G>

3. Mandy

Mandy Well-Known Member

LOL :haha: I hear you on that one, Cyngbaeld. The one we have says "Private Property" and "Keep Out". Not that we are not friendly, it is just that random people LOVE to travel up our driveway to see what is up there. (You can't see house or anything from the road, just a steep hill :D )

Mandy

4. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

when i was in maine i went up a road to my surprise there was a house and a man he started to walk towards the truck i got out told him i was very sorryi thought it was an old logging road we wind up talking about 30 min.maybee he was lonesome he did tell me of some good fishing spots he was a nice guy

5. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I have Keep Out sign,but I have more of a problem with house number.I let brush grow up where I can't be seen from the road.Just soon have no one know I'm back here unless invited.

The goverment flew over a few years ago found us :D ,so they know,but from what I've heard them say they just soon not come out here. :haha:

big rockpile

6. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

If you want the sign, then by all means put it up. Having a sign doesn't nessesarily mean you have a business. When you decide to offer your produce for sale the people will already know where the HILLTOP DAISY estate is located, and a little local ad could have them right on your doorstep. GO FOR IT

7. Terre d'Esprit

Terre d'Esprit Boer-ing Mom

Here is my sign. I don't have a business, I just wanted to name my farm. : )

[​IMG]

8. crashy

crashy chickaholic goddess

Our rotties can make to the fence in 3.8 seconds can you? We have a whole bunch of smart a** signs like that. Love em all.

9. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Terre...

Great Sign, didyou make it yourself or buy it?

10. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

Rancho Costa Plenty

11. desdawg

desdawg Well-Known Member

Heck no, I wanted to avoid attention, not attract it.

12. bergere

bergere Just living Life

<LOL> Same here....

Now a days advertising just invites people to steal.

13. deberosa

deberosa SW Virginia Gourd Farmer!

Yep, I have a sign:
    [​IMG]

14. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

15. seedspreader

seedspreader AFKA ZealYouthGuy

Deberosa,

I love your sign, but every time I see that picture, I want to go move that white rotted post...

:haha:

16. Old Jack

Old Jack Truth Seeker

"Is there Life After Death?
    Trespass here and find out"

17. Kellkell

Kellkell Well-Known Member

Trespassers will be shot.
    Survivors will be shot again.

18. ponyexpress

ponyexpress Well-Known Member

I love everyone's signs!
    We will eventually have one for the farm, but it will be located halfway down our driveway, where it forks at the neighbors, not out at the main road.
    Right now, we have 4 NO Trespassing signs, and at the top of the hill at the barnyard gate, one that has dobies on it that says," We can make it to the fence in 3 seconds, can you?"
    THAT one stops EVEN the idiots that have bypassed the locked front gate and the other signs (mostly
    idiot ATVers)

19. tobo6

tobo6 Well-Known Member

I was one who romanticized that "ranch" sign at the end of our driveway. The kind where you drive under it. Well, it took just a couple months, and we realized that it makes for a open invitation for visitors. Argghh. Even got some bold enough to climb the gate and walk up our steep 1200' driveway to get to our house. I don't like to be surprised with a knock at the door, or someone yelling "Howdy" when I am in the barn. We took the sign down, and attached it to the porch for our own amusement.

The gate now has a No trespassing, no hunting, no fishing, no trapping sign. Every few months we catch someone climbing over to go fishing in our creek, but they are met with 2 dogs and one of us holding a shotgun. They quickly say that they didn't realize people lived here, because they can't see a house from down there. For the most part they are apologetic, it's the one's who dump garbage out there that tick me off. Argghh

Deb

20. milkstoolcowboy

milkstoolcowboy Farmer

If the sign is the best-looking thing on the farm, then you might think about using that paint and lumber elsewhere.