Do you have a best friend?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by roadless, Nov 11, 2006.

1. roadless

roadless Well-Known Member Supporter

Not counting your "other half". My dh went on a hunting trip and I can't think of one blasted person to call to do something with. My kids are grown, my family lives out of state and I'm lonely. Actually there are very few women I have felt close to, I guess I'm picky. I have a difficult time with foo-foo gals, I don't like to shop or gossip, I don't party so here I am in cyberspace on a saturday night......

2. MOJILL

MOJILL Well-Known Member

I did.........

But he moved away and isn't talking to me any more. :(

And he took his human with him :Bawling:

3. EasyDay

EasyDay Gimme a YAAAAY!

Me, too, roadless. Except for the lonely part. There aren't many women around here that I would want to tolerate for any length of time. Could it be that I'm picky? Say it isn't SO!!! :p

My bestest best friend in the whole world is a childhood friend. We've known each other since birth, but haven't seen each other in 29 years! We've always kept in touch and have remained best friends. It honestly feels like she's with me all the time, and she says the same about me. Friends like that come once in a lifetime. Email has made it even easier over the years.

4. michelleIL

michelleIL tryna be His

I'm not one for girly girls, so I haven't had many close friends in quite some time. There are some people I sit with of a morning at the coffeeshop, but we don't get together. There are people I associate with, but I'd like to get to a point where I can allow people into my life again, in a real way.
    Michelle

5. Trevilians

Trevilians Well-Known Member

I have the world's greatest best friend. We met when our children were in kindergarten and have been best friends ever since. We can talk for hours on end and never repeat ourselves. We love to take road trips together. We have taken several 12 hour (one way) trips together and talked the entire time. When I was sick she showed up and started cooking my dinner (I woke up to the smell of sauting onions (m-m-m-m). Once when my mother was coming for a visit, Patti showed up with mop and bucket in hand.

DH & I spent two years in Italy. Before we left, Patti made me a "Homesick" box. Inside were dozens of notes, pictures, cards, jokes, letters from her children, little samples of hand creams and other goodies. The instructions were to open the box whenever I was homesick and missing her. It was difficult but I made that box last the entire time we were gone.

She was there for me when I lost my father, I was there when her's passed away. When my mother died Patti was there holding my hand the entire time. Her mother is still living although her health is poor, but we're hoping to have her around as long as possible.

When Patti went through a divorce, she told me first. When she remarried, I was her matron of honor. Her children and grandchildren call me aunti and mine do the same with her. When her first grandchild was born, I was right there with her.

She is closer than a sister. She is truly my bestest friend. We joke about sitting side by side in rocking chairs when we get old enough for the nursing home.

After her re-marriage, she moved about an hour away, so we don't see each other every day like we did when the children were little, but we talk often on the phone, visit several times a month and e-mail daily. I'm certain that in another life we were sisters. It was a lucky day for me when we met.

6. roadless

Wow Trevilians, how wonderful for you! That is exactly the type of relationship I long for. My bestest friend died 4 years ago. I miss her.

7. MaineFarmMom

MaineFarmMom Columnist, Feature Writer

I do. I don't know what I'd do without her.

8. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I had a couple (best in various catagories). They both died in the last year.

9. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I have one left. If he dies I'll kill him.........................

10. wildhorse

wildhorse Well-Known Member

I Dont have any female friends. :shrug:
    I can hang out with guys fishing,hunting,trail riding.
    I dont have a best friend. :shrug:
    I guess I'm to much of a tom boy.

11. roadless

wildhorse, I get along better with guys than gals too but its tricky when married!

12. roadless

:rotfl: thanks I needed that!

13. 6e

6e Farm lovin wife Supporter

I don't either...........except for my friends here on the board. This board serves as a very important outlet for me.
    I use to have friends, but between the hubby and kids, I just didn't have time to maintain those friendships. That's the nice thing about the computer. If I don't have time to talk I just don't log on.

14. drypond

drypond Member

my mom & sister,
    i can tell them any thing and they just listen, then let me make up my own mind.

15. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

I have one really great, great friend. I love her more than any of my siblings. We like the same things--animals, gardening, our husbands (they are quite a bit alike--good old country boys) but she has No children and a professional job--she travels all over the world. She's in China right now, before that she was in India... We don't talk much anymore but when we do we can talk for hrs.

I miss not having someone to chat, go out to lunch, or have over (even if it's just once in a blue moon)....

16. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Not locally. Get on telephone or take some me or garden/yard time.

17. roadless

I agree 6e but I wonder how healthy it is to just have cyber friends. This forum has beome a important outlet for me as well and quite frankly it freaks me out a bit.

18. valschickens

valschickens Big Brother's Watching

I agree.

19. farmergirl

farmergirl Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a few very close friends, like fill-in family, and several other friends, too. Lately most of my friends are men. Looking back I realize it's been that way off and on for most of my life. I have had a hard time lately finding female friends that I am "on the level with", if you know what I mean. I have NO problem meeting people and making friends, I guess I just have become way more selective over the years when it comes to spending time with people. I'm so busy now that I'm making a conscious effort to spend my time wisely with regards to friendships. I have had several friendships in the last few years that were just too dang much work. And I've ruled out people who aren't at least supportive of my farming efforts, even if it's not something they are pursuing themselves.

20. GrannyG

GrannyG Well-Known Member

I thought I had a very good friend. We were nurses at the same place for many years. When she moved away and became ill, she came to us and told us no one would help her now that she was ill. Well, to me, a friend is a friend for life, and I treat them as family. I bought a big lot, a brand new 3 Bdrm trailer, and DH and I spent a month getting in all the lines, etc. We called her, told her to come, we would help her. I cooked about 2 months for her, took her meals to her. Told her she was elligible for a pension, did all the work to get her pension started, did all her unemployment phone work, she kept saying she couldn't hear good, and we did what we could for almost a year. She called me up one day, said "I don't need your trailer anymore, left within the week,and that was the end of a 16 year friendship. No, I do not want anymore best friends. I am still paying on the trailer.