Homesteading Forum banner

81 - 100 of 102 Posts

·
Premium Member
17,383 Posts
Sounds great UNLESS you happened to be a woman who wanted to be something other than a teacher, nurse, or wife/mother! :(
Or a man who wanted to be something other than a farmer, miner or banker.

Of course there were exceptions to the rule, both men and women who rose above their station in life to do great things.

·
Super Moderator
40,780 Posts
Sounds great UNLESS you happened to be a woman who wanted to be something other than a teacher, nurse, or wife/mother! :(
There were other occupations for women as well as going into business for themselves. Seems like one of the very oldest professions known to mankind is credited to women. ;) During the 1800s there were many women who worked at all sorts of things other than teaching or nursing. As early as 1870 we had a woman seriously running for president of the United States! (Victoria Woodhull) In 1867 Susan Steward entered medical school and was class valedictorian in 1870.... and began practicing medicine shortly after graduation. Then of course there were other occupations... like Louisa Alcott who was a seamstress... up until she became a successful author. Or if a woman wanted to she could simply earn a living like Martha Jane Cannary (aka Calamity Jane) did.... as a scout for the US military or mining for gold, hustling a few dollars in the saloons playing poker and a variety of other things. Of course there were other occupations too and roles for women of talent.. singing in the opera... acting on stage... running newspapers.... legal work for lawyers, or become a lawyer themselves. Of course a woman in those days had to have a bit of grit in their craw to make it work.... just like the men did back then... but they could do most anything if they applied themselves... just like many manage to do today. Of course it was probably much easier to just marry well, and let a man take care of them... kinda like it is today. ;)

·
Premium Member
5,069 Posts
Actually women had the right to vote in Utah before it even became a territory. That right was removed however, in 1887, by Congress with the Edmunds–Tucker Act, which was designed to weaken the Mormons politically and punish them for polygamy.The Mormons dropped the polygamy requirement in 1890 and in 1895 Utah adopted a constitution restoring the right of woman suffrage. Congress admitted Utah as a state with that constitution in 1896.wikipedia
Yes and they had the right to vote in many states and it kind of ebbed and flowed much like Utah unjtil it was taken up by the feds in 1919. Its pretty interesting when you start looking at it and some of the places that didnt allow women to vote was surprising to me. In my studies of the Civil War one of the reasons Mary Todd Lincoln and others supported the emancipation of the slaves was because they hoped to coat tail womens issues including voting.

·
Registered
20,807 Posts
Always fun to see a blast from the past and interesting to see how many posters on that thread are no longer around.

Reactions: JeffreyD

·
Registered
399 Posts
Not a fan rainbows painted on the streets, or a full month of celebration that the heteros don't get !

Keep it to yourself, and get along with everyone !
These old threads are fun. Oh, those relatively unpolluted days.

I'm not sure why the homosexual/whatever crowd feels that they are somehow more special than the rest of us. It's a double standard for sure.

I USED to be tolerant of the lgbtq whatever alphabet soup crowd. But their demands for respect, flaunting their personal lives, and screaming about how they are downtrodden and how it isn't fair, is such a huge turn off for me. Seriously, shut up and act like a normal person, and we'll treat you like one. I quit respecting them when they became whiney little snowflakes.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,859 Posts
I thought willowgirl was back there for a minute. Did hades freeze over when I wasn't paying attention?

Old thread revived, now I get it. Carry on with the bickering....

Reactions: JeffreyD and RJ2019

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
They could not mary and could go to jail for being with the person they loved. Yes, they were treated differently. You can still be fired if you are gay. Can you be fired for being heterosexual?
You can be fired for wearing the wrong shirt or supporting the wrong cause, and yes even being hetero.
None of this is "protected"

·
Registered
2,659 Posts
A lot of women hate men. What's your point? A lot of men hate women. In fact if you go by statistics men brutalize women and always have. Rfeason enough for some women to hate men.

Lately men have really begun to whine about how women hate men. This has more to to with the actual man doing the whining than with women who are independent and selective. Women no longer have to tolerate the things that kept them down - dependent and controlled. Education, birth control and just taking charge of our lives and not accepting limitations placed on us has changed the world and the dynamics between the sexes. This is very difficult for some men to adjust to. Strong, confident men have no problem dealing with an equal.
I have arrested just as many women for domestic violence as I have men. It just doesn't get reported as much.

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
Ole boy bought two new black Ford Thunderbirds for he and his wife years ago. Both were mean drunks who lived way too hard. She was usually the first one to provoke and the first one to call the sheriff.
One night on the way back from the tavern, he accuses her of getting a little too flirty with the bar tender.
The fight spills over into their front yard where she slugs him in the head. He slugs her and breaks her nose.
By the time the Deputies arrive, he has run his K Bar along all four sides of her Thunderbird. It was actually his car, he was just too stupid and blotto to realize it.
They disarm him, put him on the ground and cuff him. She decides she loves him again and they are being too rough.
After the third time of demanding they release him, she climbs up the back of one of the deputies and starts clawing his face.
"Lady! This is the fourth time in 5 weeks we have been out here. Tonight is the night for both of you!"
She got a little gravel in that crooked nose while they put the braclets on her and gave her a night's accommodation at the local government owned bed and breakfast.

Seems like they were both treated equally to me.

·
Banned
30,992 Posts
You can be fired for wearing the wrong shirt or supporting the wrong cause, and yes even being hetero.
None of this is "protected"
I believe the prior poster was referring to federal employment law.

"Federal laws protect employees from being fired or otherwise discriminated against due to their age, disability, gender, genetic information, national origin, race, religion or sex. Several states and localities also prohibit employment discrimination based on gender identity or sexuality."

·
Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....?
78,696 Posts
They could not mary and could go to jail for being with the person they loved. Yes, they were treated differently. You can still be fired if you are gay. Can you be fired for being heterosexual?
In some states you can be fired for most any reason.
Employers just have to lie about it sometimes.

·
Registered
10,145 Posts
Re: Muleskinners post. Your arrest record seems very possible and probable but it may just depend on the people of your area. The statistics for the country tell a different story. The reality is that a woman’s life is safer with someone she doesn’t know than with a man she knows. On average 3 women a day are killed by their intimate partner.

• On average, nearly 20 people per minute are physically abused by an intimate partner in the United States. During one year, this equates to more than 10 million women and men.1
  • 1 in 4 women and 1 in 9 men experience severe intimate partner physical violence, intimate partner contact sexual violence, and/or intimate partner stalking with impacts such as injury, fearfulness, post-traumatic stress disorder, use of victim services, contraction of sexually transmitted diseases, etc.2
    • 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men have experienced some form of physical violence by an intimate partner. This includes a range of behaviors (e.g. slapping, shoving, pushing) and in some cases might not be considered "domestic violence." 1
    • 1 in 7 women and 1 in 25 men have been injured by an intimate partner.1
    • 1 in 10 women have been raped by an intimate partner. Data is unavailable on male victims.1
  • 1 in 4 women and 1 in 7 men have been victims of severe physical violence (e.g. beating, burning, strangling) by an intimate partner in their lifetime.1
  • 1 in 7 women and 1 in 18 men have been stalked by an intimate partner during their lifetime to the point in which they felt very fearful or believed that they or someone close to them would be harmed or killed.1
  • On a typical day, there are more than 20,000 phone calls placed to domestic violence hotlines nationwide.9
  • The presence of a gun in a domestic violence situation increases the risk of homicide by 500%.10
  • Intimate partner violence accounts for 15% of all violent crime.2
  • Women between the ages of 18-24 are most commonly abused by an intimate partner.2
  • 19% of domestic violence involves a weapon.2
  • Domestic victimization is correlated with a higher rate of depression and suicidal behavior.2
  • Only 34% of people who are injured by intimate partners receive medical care for their injuries.2
RAPE
  • 1 in 5 women and 1 in 71 men in the United States has been raped in their lifetime.1
  • Almost half of female (46.7%) and male (44.9%) victims of rape in the United States were raped by an acquaintance. Of these, 45.4% of female rape victims and 29% of male rape victims were raped by an intimate partner.11
STALKING
  • 19.3 million women and 5.1 million men in the United States have been stalked in their lifetime.1 60.8% of female stalking victims and 43.5% men reported being stalked by a current or former intimate partner.11
HOMICIDE
  • A study of intimate partner homicides found that 20% of victims were not the intimate partners themselves, but family members, friends, neighbors, persons who intervened, law enforcement responders, or bystanders.3
  • 72% of all murder-suicides involve an intimate partner; 94% of the victims of these murder suicides are female.8
CHILDREN AND DOMESTIC VIOLENCE
  • 1 in 15 children are exposed to intimate partner violence each year, and 90% of these children are eyewitnesses to this violence.5
ECONOMIC IMPACT
  • Victims of intimate partner violence lose a total of 8.0 million days of paid work each year.6
  • The cost of intimate partner violence exceeds $8.3 billion per year.6
  • Between 21-60% of victims of intimate partner violence lose their jobs due to reasons stemming from the abuse.6
  • Between 2003 and 2008, 142 women were murdered in their workplace by their abuser, 78% of women killed in the workplace during this timeframe.4
PHYSICAL/MENTAL IMPACT
  • Women abused by their intimate partners are more vulnerable to contracting HIV or other STI’s due to forced intercourse or prolonged exposure to stress.7
  • Studies suggest that there is a relationship between intimate partner violence and depression and suicidal behavior.7
  • Physical, mental, and sexual and reproductive health effects have been linked with intimate partner violence including adolescent pregnancy, unintended pregnancy in general, miscarriage, stillbirth, intrauterine hemorrhage, nutritional deficiency, abdominal pain and other gastrointestinal problems, neurological disorders, chronic pain, disability, anxiety and post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), as well as noncommunicable diseases such as hypertension, cancer and cardiovascular diseases. Victims of domestic violence are also at higher risk for developing addictions to alcohol, tobacco, or drugs.7

·
Registered
8,662 Posts
"911, what is your emergency?"
"Yeah, my wife is beating me up again."

I'm pretty sure that happens moreso that it is reported as well.

·
Registered
4,951 Posts
I believe the prior poster was referring to federal employment law.

"Federal laws protect employees from being fired or otherwise discriminated against due to their age, disability, gender, genetic information, national origin, race, religion or sex. Several states and localities also prohibit employment discrimination based on gender identity or sexuality."

Thank you for making my point

·
Registered
2,097 Posts
Happens to both pretty often. No big deal.

If the firing was because of their sex life and it was listed as such, then people can complain. It’s also a sign of a not to smart boss. Does a person really want to work for such a boss ?

81 - 100 of 102 Posts