Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,431 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
we used to...many moons ago. lol we stopped, but it was because my hubby just wasn't 'into' the New Year's stuff. I didn't mind. oh sure...I'm the first there for a good party, but I like him more. :) now we plan some amazingly good food (ok..we ARE alllllll about food. lol), and just love being together. not to sound 'old'.....we've done this for years.

my old boss used to say that the 'rookies' were out partying New Year's Eve. I do believe she is right...lol.....some people just have no control. :)

this year...big surprise..a fire. candles. great food. and the rest left to your imagination.

how about you?

·
writing some wrongs
6,873 Posts
I'd like to go out, maybe to a friend's house, enjoy good food, maybe some wine, play cards, have great conversation. That's my idea of a really good time.

People think DH and I are weird for preferring to go places where we can take our kids. Our friends have kids too; the kids go off and play and the grownups have their own "play" time. :) I prefer to know where they are and what they are doing, and darn it, I miss them when they're not with us.

In fact, that's what we are doing tomorrow! :D

·
Registered
2,193 Posts
We don't go out on New Year's anymore- too many amateur drunks on the road. We used to go to a beautiful old hotel that had a band, dinner, drinks, and breakfast at one AM. Nowadays, it's too risky with the stricter DUI laws, and the above mentioned drunks on the road. We rarely stay up until midnight anymore!

·
Original recipe!
14,044 Posts
Naw.. not anymore.
In a previous life there was a guy that had a huge party every year. It was wonderful as BF and I knew almost everyone there... we would go out for a great dinner first too.
Even my (now) husband went to those parties:)

And for years and years I drove a cab in the same East Coast capitol city.. holy cow! What a nightmare! At around 3 am folks would start fighting to get into the car and trying to hang onto the bumpers, hood and ride on the roof.
I started taking the night off.

Now we just make a point to take a family pic at midnight every year. We hold the camera up above us.. great to see DS growing up through those.

·
Registered
13,303 Posts
No, I like to stay home. If we go anywhere it will be to the inlaws fro food and board games, which I enjoy.

Red Tartan..New Year in Times Square is super over-rated in my opinion.

Cold, crowded.. if you are ever to do it, I recommend making sure you have a hotel room within walking distance as trying to get a cab or subway ride afterwards is a nightmare.

I lived in NYC for 10 years and only attempted it once, it took me 3 hours to get home from midtown to lower Manhattan.

·
Trainer of kids, dogs and horses...fears nothing
8,598 Posts
We always go to the community New Year's Eve party at our local VFW hall. Most of the town shows up, along with a large portion of the surrounding area...
It's similar in feel to a wedding reception or a block party, with people of all ages running around having fun. The Sons of the Legion tend bar (since the Legionares are getting so old)
We have board games going on all over the room, poker and such off in the corners and kids everywhere.

It's a fun time. :)

·
Premium Member
2,053 Posts
We've always stayed home...at least every since we had livestock at home. It's just to risky with people letting off fireworks and shooting guns up in the air. I like to make sure everyone here is safe. We don't do the 4th of July for the same reasons. Never saw any sense in blowing up my money anyway.
I do like to have some friends over for New Year's though, but normally we don't even stay up that late...just get up when the noise starts and make sure everyone is OK

·
Premium Member
2,277 Posts
We too stay at home - sometimes watch a movie and have a nice dinner. Too many drunks on the roads and every place is too crowded. We rarely stay up to watch the ball drop, especially if either of us has to work the next day.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I tend to stay home, with a friend and my cats. We fix some sandwiches for supper, then spend the evening with a stack of dvds. If I'm feeling really "festive" I might open a bottle of sparkling cider or grape juice at midnight, but usually just go to bed at the usual time...I often have to work the next day.

·
I love South Dakota
5,320 Posts
I haven't gone out in years and years. I remember that a friend and I went horseback riding for New Years Eve several years in a row. Pretty good when you live in MN!

I don't ever remember going to any New Years Eve parties, and I don't even remember the last year I was awake at Midnight. Though last year I got a call from my daughter who ended up in jail on New Years Eve. I think she'll probably decide it's best to stay home for that evening from now on - at least I hope so!

Cathy

·
Premium Member
6,776 Posts
We used to go out to eat but have stayed home the last few years. Just reminded DH tonight that I have 2 NY strip steaks in the freezer that we can grill out as long as there's no snow or ice storm going on! I haven't stayed up till midnight in a long time either.

The best New Years I can remember was when DH was in college in Rochester. We went to the dinner theatre and then watched fireworks over the river. That's been more than 20 years ago.

·
Registered
629 Posts
FOr years and years we held a big blowout New Years' party, but here in the past few years we've been going on vacation for Christmas week, so no more parties (we're getting too old anyway!). This year--Mexico!

·
Registered
465 Posts
We used to go out w/friends..dining, dancing ,drinking..(thats when we were younger),,now neither of us can drink..well. maybe 1,and we don't dance at all..and can't eat so much food either being diabetics...but......we have formed a tradition with/other friends who don't go out either...we have a nice supper w/munchies, drinks if we want,,then we play cards or dominoes...this year its here,,and I just bought a set of double 15s,,dominoes,,,invited some new friends..so looking forward to a nice evening..we toast in the new yr. with champagne,,play somemore..then its over..but a good time will be had by all...
Judi

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
we stay home with the kids. They're all getting old enough now that they want to stay up. There have been many years though we've been tucked in bed and sound asleeep by midnight.

·
Premium Member
12,677 Posts
I guess in 30 years, we've tried different ways of celebrating New Year's Eve, from the country club dance to the block party food/games/fireworks. I'm happy to report though that for the past 5 years we've been content and happy to spend this holiday at home, nice and warm and well fed with no worries. We've learned to take joy in our comfort when we can.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts