Do you give your dog kisses?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by OldYellersGhost, Mar 26, 2005.

1. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

If so, do you let your dog lick your mouth?

2. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

Do I give my dogs kisses? Only when they don't smell like something dead!

Do I let them lick my mouth? Not on purpose!

3. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

I give my dogs kisses and smootches on the cheeks, absolutely!

I don't let them lick my mouth, though. yuck peteweee! :no:

4. GoldenMom

GoldenMom Well-Known Member

Of course I give them kisses (or like Raven said-only when they don't smell like something dead!!!!). My dogs are very good-they don't lick very much, but if they did I'd definitely discourage it! I had a great aunt who fed her dog ice cream off of the spoon she was eating off of! :eek: Yuck, no thanks!

5. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

I kiss the top of her head and her eyes - she loves that! She licks my DH everywhere she can. She will also get right up close to his face and stare into his eyes and touch her nose to his - that's her version of a human kiss (she watches me when I kiss him and I think that's how she thinks I do it!).

6. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

of course i kiss my dog i dont let her lick my mouth but she lets me lick hers :haha:

7. Laura

Laura Well-Known Member

No, I don't kiss my dogs and I don't let them lick me at all! YUCK!

There many ways to show affection to my dogs, like sweet words, ear or chest scratches.

8. Okie-Dokie

Okie-Dokie Well-Known Member

No! and if you followed your dog around for a day watching just where he sticks that nose, you wouldn't either.

9. Quint

Quint Well-Known Member

Not on purpose but I've had an unxpected and unrequested lick across the mouth before....YUCK. You KNOW where that tongue was licking moments before.

Something that I HATE to see is people letting a dog slobber and lick on an infant or small child. Some people think it is cute but I think it is disgusting.

10. OldYellersGhost

OldYellersGhost Well-Known Member

I sleep next to my owners bed.
    I've seen where you humans stick your nose's sometimes too!

11. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

I hate being licked on the face. ICK! :no:

I taught my dog that "Kiss" means poking his cold wet nose on one's face. This satisfies those who want a doggie kiss, but doesn't gross me out. I kiss my dog on the muzzle or top of head. I kiss my donkey's too.

12. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

I might give a cat a kiss, never a dog, I don't even like the dog licking my leg or hand, they would never be allowed to lick my mouth! Gaa! I don't mind our pet deer licking me, he's sweet, and an herbivore.

13. There's been a time or two that a dog has snuck a lick in my mouth. When they do, they run away with a big knot on their head. Then I'm like the peanuts character "Lucy"...."Arrgggh, I'VE GOT DOG GERMS"! Wheres the penicilan?

14. terriv

terriv Well-Known Member

We went to see some (nearly grown) puppies for sale. There was a very attractive girl owner. I'm sure hubby found her quite nice looking. But THEN she stooped down and let several (outdoor, picked up stray) dogs lick her mouth all over. EWWW. Later she added that her 30 pound Lab takes a shower with her everyday. DOUBLE EWW. We left. No puppy.

NO.

15. BCR

BCR Well-Known Member

I kiss the top of their heads and on occ. their cheeks or right between the eyes. But I keep them clean after they've gotten into something (like digging a hole) and since there is some distance to their muzzle/nose/lips, it doesn't gross me out.

No need for them to clean my teeth, thank you.

16. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

I give all my Kids Kisses and Hugs,even the Cats.But really now promise don't tell the Cats! I'm just tasting them :eek: :haha:

big rockpile

17. Dances In Woods

Dances In Woods Well-Known Member

I kiss my maggie(BC) on side of her snout and she has a heart shaped white spot on top of her head and i'll kiss her there too. Maggie however, is happiest when she is able to lick you while you pet her. Maybe she thinks she has to reciprocate...LOL :)

our male BC Bailey is not a licker at all. He's happy as long as your touching him...even if its on the tip of his nose! He won't move as long as he's being touched.

But no puppy kisses on the mouth, though maggie will try.

18. sancraft

sancraft Well-Known Member

Eskimo kisses. Touching nose to nose. No they kiss me on my mouth, they lick their butts for goodess sakes.

19. Caitedid

Caitedid The Prairie Plate Supporter

I got accidental tongue from a lamb once, and my friend Ben kissed a pig accidentally on purpose. Wouldn't do it on purpose, but with all the chemicals, and preservatives, and shtuff that we're exposed to every day...

20. apirlawz

apirlawz playing in the dirt

OMG - She was probably related to my mom... :no: She would let my collie lick her mouth non-freakin'-stop. I cannot find words in the English language to describe how utterly repugnant it was!! Good Lord, I'm practically dry heaving just thinking about it. This is the same dog that, minutes before, was licking parts of himself that shall remain nameless.... Disgusting!!! What in a person's life experience makes this pleasureable?? Yeeesh!! This makes buck rutting behaviour sound down-right civilized!

Of course, as this is happening, me, Sis, and Dad are absolutely freaking out...Good grief, I want to vomit just thinking about it!
    I really should show her this thread so she can perhaps understand what society really thinks about this kind of behaviour... :haha:

whew...just had to get that one of my chest...