Homesteading Forum banner

Do you every have insomnia? What do you do to pass the time?

Tags
insomnia
2K views 15 replies 14 participants last post by  dmm1976 
#1 ·
For some reason, this week I have been sleeping every OTHER night! Now, you would THINK that would give me more time to get things done, but instead I have been doing quiet things like working jigsaw puzzles in the hope that I will be sleepy soon! But it has not worked out very well. I am just not sleepy.

How do you while away the hours without winding yourself up to the point where sleep is impossible?

#5 ·
I have insomnia often, and, almost as bad, are the nights I go to bed and wake 3 hours later. I've stopped fighting this, and just get up out of bed. Sometimes just sleeping on the couch with the tv works. Often I'll just read in a chair for awhile with a blanket over me so that if I drift off to sleep reading I can just stay put. I log on to my computer at times, but not often. I don't try to do housework or anything too physically demanding when I can't sleep because that'll wake me up even more.

The worst part of these insomnia bouts is knowing that I have to get up at 6:30 and go to work dead tired.

#6 ·
I have insomnia often, and, almost as bad, are the nights I go to bed and wake 3 hours later. I've stopped fighting this, and just get up out of bed. Sometimes just sleeping on the couch with the tv works. Often I'll just read in a chair for awhile with a blanket over me so that if I drift off to sleep reading I can just stay put. I log on to my computer at times, but not often. I don't try to do housework or anything too physically demanding when I can't sleep because that'll wake me up even more.

The worst part of these insomnia bouts is knowing that I have to get up at 6:30 and go to work dead tired.
Been there and done that. The more I try the harder it is. I give up and just watch tv. I usually sleep good the next night.

#7 · (Edited)
Insomniac here... (notice how that word sounds a lot like maniac?)

In that light, this is what my monkey-mind sometimes does to me at 3 am when I am trying to sleep, lol:

ha ha ha, I know... I ain't right. (At least I am never bored. Not ever.)

#9 ·
I've not slept properly for 30 years and I've tried all kinds of fixes. Got to the point about 20 years ago that I just gave up. If I can't sleep, I read, crochet, watch TV - quiet activities. If I wake up in the middle of the night, I get out of bed and do the same. House is too small to make much noise without waking up DH. I've gotten used to it and can usually go about 3 days with minimal sleep - I never nap or I get my days and nights mixed up. For me, this is 'normal' sleeping now so I don't get anxious about it too much.

#11 ·
....And you getting some "rest" even if you are awake.....
I don't worry about it any more...but I don't have to get up...
The fear or having to go to work or other activity doesn't help make you sleepy.

#12 ·
When I wake up and can't get back to sleep, I grab my Walmart list off the fridge and go to the 24 hour Walmart. I keep a Walmart list *JUST* for those times I can't sleep. I used to clean the oven when I had a can't sleep night. Walmart's more fun, and at those hours, easier to find a close place to park, the store is not crowed and there's a LOT of associates around if you need help AND checkout is FAST!

Mon

Reactions: hunter63 and miggyb
#14 ·
Well, I had insomnia again last night, right on schedule. The bedtime conversation I had with my daughter in Nebraska about her reoccurring nightmares did not help, as she was trying not to cry. She has been dreaming that we die night after night! So I said we were fine and after that I drifted the talk into hair and window shopping. She was laughing when we ended the call, but I was WIRED!

So, last night I read, puttered on the computer, and treated my dog and my cats for fleas. I fell asleep at dawn and napped for a couple of hours.

If this pattern continues, I will sleep well tonight!

#15 ·
oh for sure Clem it's better than dead. I think! I also gave up . I know I can't sleep so I don't bother. I read, knit, come down here and check to see if any of you guys are around. watch a few crime movies on youtube(I don't have tv) I'm not really into scrubbing the floor or any housework at that hour. although I must say one night I did vacumn the carpet.

it's 10:45 here now. i'll go up around 12 or 1 and read a book I started this afternoon. have a few cups tea. listen to the radio. light some candles. I will probably go to bed around 3. I plan to leave at 7am for the country . my Gfather only ever needed 4 hours sleep a night. I could take sleeping pills . I have some leftover from Murray but I took one of those one time and I saw all kinds of crawly things on the walls so I don't think i'll bother that again. ~Georgia

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.