Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you ever wonder why you are interested in the t hings you are---especially if no one else in your family is?
As far back as I can remember I've loved history, anything to do with Egyptology, the Cil War, the old ways of doing things, etc. etc.
When I look at my family (parents and siblings) none of them seem to be even remotely interested in any of these things, which makes me wonder where these interests came from.
When it comes to some of these topics I realize interest is largely due to one of my teachers (grades 1-6) Growing up in a small rural community where most of the folks were my relatives, she helped me see it was a bigger world than just where I grew up. Other cultures, beliefs,ways of doing things etc.
As a kid there were times when I actually felt I was adopted since I was so different than my brothers and sisters! Of course I was not! :)
While it's true we are influenced by those we are in most contact with on a daily basis or have learned from, I am simply curious if there are others "out there" who feel the same way.
Enjoy the day!

·
Enjoying Polish Rabbits
1,219 Posts
Hey D!

I have a daughter you need to meet! Once she decided she was going to University (U of T) the program she chose was Archeology!! Absolutely loves anything Egyptian. However, in her case she comes from a long line of people interested in history - but our own heritage/genealogy, etc. And with her, it was also a public school teacher who got her interested. Tell me again where you went to school? :)

Me, I'd be a farmer (if I had the money!!). I'm getting there.

·
Premium Member
3,944 Posts
I'm adopted so I do have a valid reason for being different than the rest of my family. I'm obessed with hunting with my dogs..my brother hunts hogs but not with dogs mainly because his wife put her foot down.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
This is a question I have often asked myself. My siblings are all interested in their own things, I suppose, being men they all have some element of the hunting/fishing/outdoors interests, but one of them also loves true Mafia stories and crime stuff. Another is a life long comic book collector. None of them care anything about gardening or farming, chickens, doing things frugally and/or 'the old fashioned way'. I love revolutionary era history and biographies, and anything to do with colonial history. They just roll their eyes and think I'm silly. But I think Mafia history and comic books are boring, so to each his own I guess.

But I do believe some of my interests are genetic (well, maybe) and that they even skip a generation! My maternal grandmother was keenly interested in poultry and gardnening all her life, while my mother couldn't give two hoops about it. I of course take after my grandmother more than I do after my own mother in many respects. But regardless, I couldn't have had two better teachers for anything than my mom and grandmother.

·
Premium Member
9,233 Posts
No siblings ... so no idea if I would have been "different" from siblings or not, but I do come by many of my interests through my parents and grandparents, having grown up on what was essentially a homestead ... and "subsistence living" was what we did.

As for my other interests, though from a rural family, third generation ranchers, we were also a family of readers and many of my outside interests developed because I was an avid reader.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
My mother was a teacher, and her greatest gift to me was to encourage me to read, read, read. She used to say she didn't care what I read (it could be the labels on a sauce bottle!), as long as I read something.

A love of books really widens one's horizons and interests. You can read the most basic novel and something in the background will intrigue you. Like, even in a murder-mystery, there might be mention of the pyramids, or Babylon, or a certain kind of sword from a particular culture, or reference to a particular author, or the uses of certain herbal remedies or poisons, or a Roman centurion. That sort of thing can really get you hunting for more information.

Like you, I'm interested in a great many and varied things. The quest for learning and knowledge never ends while the brain is active. My mother always described herself as 'the perpetual student'. I think I'm the same.

These days, as well as devouring books like a person starving, I also watch a lot of TV documentaries - could be anything from human health and behaviour, to that of animals or plants, to environmental issues, to religion (even though I'm not religious, it's interesting to learn the history of beliefs and the psychology behind it), to travelogues, to history in general, to science and anything in between. I learn a lot from gardening programs, too. And of course, the News. It's important to keep abreast of world events. Some can inspire you to look more deeply at the causes, past and present, or at a particular culture - it helps to understand why and what happens.

I'm not interested in politics, as such, but I take a mild interest because what those pollies do and say will impact on me at some point!

There aren't many family members left now, but there wasn't a single one of them who didn't have a multitude of interests. We were all keen to learn about all and everything, and those of us who are still around continue to learn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.