Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Banned
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Or do you pay for trash removal? I transfer my trash to the local landfill here on a monthly basis. Most of it is recycled goods so I am looking at an average cost of $12.00. Not bad in comparison to the cost of a sanitation service.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
For years we took ours and the 7 apts we have to the dump. It did run on average $12. a week. We now have it picked up it costs $60 a month. It is so worth it. Not only was gas killing us but I hate to touch other people's garbage, manure I don't mind but garbage is gross.

·
Appalachian American
10,639 Posts
We take ours to dumpsters (which everyone here calls "the green boxes") located at various places around the county.

·
Registered
746 Posts
My family of four only generates about one can of metal/glass of trash a month. I have a friend that let's me throw it in his dumpster.

All paper and cardboard are fed to the worms or shredded and used as beddings for chickens. This paper is then used for mulch and such.
I try to limit my plastic inflow and re-use whenever but I also must admit to using an incinerator on most of it. It's just a jazzed up burn barrel but it does burn alot cleaner.

Trash removal has just been offered out here last year.
The trash trucks rutted the roads so bad that the county had hurry out and fix them after the school bus got stuck. Needless to say they are only allowed on our roads when the county says it's OK. Yet they still want to charge a regular weekly pickup rate even though they only show up once every 3 weeks, sometimes longer if Mother Nature wishes.

·
plains of Colorado
4,176 Posts
We took it for yrs but as landfills kept closing...quite a "few" miles to the nearest. We pay $10/mo and then $25 when we call to have it dumped...about 3 times/yr. We burn & then dump the barrels into the dumpster. I think it's worth the money.

·
Registered
6,843 Posts
While there is some trash pick up in the towns, rural residents have to take theirs to one of several county run convenience centers, which includes household trash, metal, furniture and such, newspapers and cans/plastic bottles. Household trash goes to a landfill in the next county. Metal to a recycler. Furniture and such to a local county landfill and newspapers, cans and bottles go to a local center which recycles them to pay for programs for the handicapped. There is also an annual one-day hazardous waste collection.

Now, personally, I generate less than two bags of household trash a year. Really!

·
Registered
11,076 Posts
I haul my own and city ordinance where I live requires it be hauled weekly. I'm sure that was put in place to encourage the use of sanitation service which is going up to around $9 per month a the first of the year. For a single person generating little trash I find weekly too be more than a tad to frequent and most generally make it once per month instead. So far I haven't been cited for ordination violation.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
The county the farm is in doesn't have a landfill. The city trash trucks take trash to one of the neighboring county dumps. (pickup is only offered in the towns,btw). So, we recycle what we can, and take the cans/bottles/plastic back with us into town every couple of weeks. Since we pay for trash removal at the town house, and it's a set fee, we just add the bag to the curb :)

·
I love South Dakota
5,320 Posts
The county one over has a municiple dump. They moved a few years ago, and it's now about 15 miles away. We burn what we can, feed or compost food scraps and try not to buy things that will generate trash.

We don't have the option of recycling except what we can haul to the scrap yard.

When we moved here, we tried to get service. They come to our neighbors, a mile south, but said we were "out of their area" so we are on our own. We have several large containers in the shop, have two garbage cans in the house. One is burnables and one is other stuff. I probably haul a bag of "other stuff" out to the shop ever few weeks (or more often if it gets smelly) and once the big containers are filled, we load up the truck and make a run. The minimum is for 500 lbs ($8) so we try to have at least that much. It was easy when we were working on the house, but now it's pretty much just regular garbage, and it does not weigh that much.

We got to be good friends with the guys at the dump during the serious gutting phase of our remodel work.

Cathy

·
keep it simple and honest
3,810 Posts
Just got a bill....$73.90 for three months...which is lower than last time probably due to lower gas prices...there is usually a gas surcharge on it...

·
Premium Member
2,750 Posts
Most everything goes to the compost or kindling pile. Everything else gets recycled. Then once every 2 or 3 months we have to go to the dump, but that's only because we're fixing the house up. there still is barely anything that goes, usually $6 worth. We really like our dump, everything is separated out in different bins. We also like the jolly "modern day pirate" that works there - arrrrrrrr! I swear slap a parrot on his shoulder and he could be in a period movie about pirates, almost without changing clothes!

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Where we live there is a multi-county "solid waste district" that was formed that provides roadside trash pickup weekly and recycling biweekly even in the rural areas. Paid for by townships out of property tax proceeds so I'm not sure what it actually costs me.

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
We have sanitation 'convenience' centers where we can take our trash to. You can separate it for recycling. We love this as then I take the trash out every time I go to town rather than having to wait a week for pick-up. We usually fill 2 bags a week. If they would allow me to burn it could be reduced to 1/2 of that.

·
Registered
6,564 Posts
We recycle everything we can and what we can't, we take out to my in-laws to add to their trash. Usually we have a half a garbage bag every week if that.

The in-laws have some kind of deal with the neighbors where they all got together and one of them signed up for unlimited garbage service. The one that signed up gets the bill, divides it by the number of households and charges as such. They all use the same kind of garbage bag.

Trash pickup just seems so expensive - especially if you don't generate that much garbage to begin with!

·
agmantoo
10,852 Posts
I am surprised by the number of people that burn. Burning trash is illegal here in western NC. Only brush can be burned. We are not permitted to burn any dimensional sawn wood or paper. Volunteer fireman are used to police the regulation and to call in to report violators. I have a tenant that is on probation at this time.

·
Banned
6,787 Posts
We are in the trash hauling business so I go to the dump weekly...actually its a transfer station and we go there because even though its a bit unhandy its cheaper than going to the dump :shrug:
Here in IL burning has been ruled illegal by the EPA I'm not sure if that was the state or feds Epa so Im not sure which states it would effect.

What I dont get is that many people still insist on burning their trash. We provide a critter resistant cart and We pick it all up no mater how much so why do they bother?

A lot of our routes are are very rural but we run them with a small(1 ton) truck for the carts ,we have to use a big truck for the dumpster route that runs once a month, it takes a good size rig to dump a dumpster and make enough pickups to be worthwhile .

Here in Il our once a week town routes are around $14 our country twice a month cart routes are about $20 and our dumpster routes about $25 with some variability for location.

We have one customer that is a 20 mile drive from any other so we do have to charge a bit more.

One thing Ive noticed is the amazing variability in amounts we have several customers who generate about one gallon of trash a week ,one that generates a gallon a month and a few that generate 2 yards a week.

For those of you that are putting your trash in some else's trash receptacle please note that is not legal in most places EVEN if they give you permission . The same holds true of taking it from your house to your business or such.

Like burning you probably wont get in trouble but you should know.

If you live so far out that you cant get service that is a GREAT THING! Its your chance to open a trash hauling business! Thats what we did!

·
Registered
1,646 Posts
We pay for trash removal here. It's a bit expensive, being that we only make a bag, or less, each week. But, our company is *huge* into recycling, and we now have true single-stream. One giant 96 gallon barrel for everything- paper, glass, tin, etc. No more separating. Love it!

There is a "transfer" station in town - $50 per year for the car tag, and $4 per bag to throw. And you pay for recycling as well. Not to mention it's a loooong way across town...

·
Registered
2,726 Posts
Now, personally, I generate less than two bags of household trash a year. Really!
You're my role model! We recycle & burn, & I try hard not to buy anything packaged in plastic, but we still manage to pile up a pickup truck load every year. Costs about $12 to take to the dump.

I'm going to have to work harder on those nasty non-recyclables.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts