Do you "doctor" your own animals?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by diamondtim, Dec 22, 2005.

1. diamondtim

diamondtim Well-Known Member

Just Curious,

How many of you act as your own vet for periodic shots and basic needs of your animals?

Where do you buy the "stuff" you need to do this?

Wondering.

Diamondtim

2. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

I do. Vet costs are through the roof here so I have no choice. I like to be organic, but when I come across something that has to have meds, I will use the ones that have no withdrawl periods or the ones that may be less toxic.

I mix DE in every feed we have for each and every critter. I use ivormek eprinex wormer that has no withdrawl and it takes care of both internal and external critters, including mites. I use homepoathic remidies, herbs, probiotics, etc. Medications are the last resort.

When it comes to operations, or things like that, the most involved I'll get is some hand's on. We had a hen that had some sort of abscess on her foot. I would have to clean it every day,poked it with a needle and drained the puss, cleaned it withbetadine, and after a week or so, she was fine. I got a doe from a woman who had mites really bad in her ears, so I would have to squeeze the puss out, use tweezers to remove the dead skin and then would put mite powder down in there. That took about 3 weeks because the doe did not liked to be handled and I didn't want to stress her out too bad.

Basically, if you keep a clean yard, you shouldn't have too muchproblems to even worry about playing doctor. It's mostly trial and error, too.

3. bretthunting

bretthunting Well-Known Member

we do for our larger animals ie: horses cattle etc. but we take our dogs, cats etc. to the vet. we get our vaccines from jeffers, valley vet(catalog) or our local vet.

4. stanb999

stanb999 Well-Known Member

We take the pets to the vet but the farm animals get treated at the farm.
    I took the pigs to the vet last summer for castration and it was $15 a piece. next time i will even do that myself. The local vet didn't what to do the procedure so i had to take them to the next closest one. The local one said they would only do it if they were "brought in for surgery". Most Vets are way overpriced and unrealistic for livestock but for a dog or cat they are ok.

5. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I get vaccines from Farm and Fleet. Sadly, rabies vaccs require veterinary administration (but don't you think my animals would have a pretty high titer after so many years of vaccination?) so I can't give those.

Simple abscesses, ear mites, etc., I do myself. I worked as a vet tech for a lot of years, so I can recognize when something is serious enough to go to the doc, but most things can be taken care of right at home.

Pony!

6. jersey girl

jersey girl Well-Known Member Supporter

We do all shots and meds that we can do ourselves. We also do everything naturally whenever we can. We are blessed to have a great vet office near us. They are usually here within a 1/2 hour if needed, do all animals including dogs and cats while here, give lessons on shots ect., and have never charged over $150.00. We only call them when necessary though.
    We buy our supplies from a catalog or the vet.

7. birdie_poo

birdie_poo Well-Known Member

You can get the vaccination from the local feed sotre, here in CA. They make you sign a form for it, but they sell it with an RX.

8. Kasidy

Kasidy Well-Known Member

I know from all the negative comments I read about vets on this site that we are very lucky up here in livestock country--Montana. Our vets are knowledgeable about animals from dogs and cats to sheep, goats, llamas, and of course!! cattle and horses. They are always ready to give advice over the phone---and usually expect us ranchers to do a lot of our own vet work. They trust us to know when we need a helping hand. They sell vaccines, antibiotics and other drugs in bottle sized amounts or in a single dose syringe-ful. We would have a HUGE vet bill if we didn't do most things ourselves. We draw the line at neutering dogs and cats, castrating horses, doing a c-section, but handle almost everything else.

But that is when you have access to a good all around animal vet, which I guess is lacking in a lot of places.

But at the very least you should be able to give injections and drenches---and learn how and when to help a female animal give birth without standing around and wringing your hands waiting hours for a vet to arrive.

9. unioncreek

unioncreek Well-Known Member Supporter

I do all my vet work myself on my cows. I'm lucky that I have two sisters-in-laws that are vets and they take care of the dog and cats for free. If I had to pay for their vaccinations and such they wouldn't get them.

Bobg

10. Danaus29

Danaus29 Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't do shots. I treat wounds, abcesses, pinched nerves, teeth problems, and so on. I've lost a few but I may have lost them anyway and would have been cost prohibitive. I'm pretty good with simple rabbit problems and don't know any reasonably priced rabbit vets.

11. jill.costello

jill.costello Well-Known Member

countrysidepet.com
    americanlivestock.com
    kvvet.com
    valleyvet.com

I search these and other sites online until I find the best price. It is the only way I can afford to keep 8 horses, 4 goats, and 4 dogs all properly vaccinated and wormed.

I also buy vet wrap, roll gause, elastikon bandage, ointments and sprays, also from the online catalogs because my local feed store charges WAY TOO MUCH for these items. For example, they want $2.49 PLUS TAX for ONE roll of vet wrap; whereas the online catalog has them for $1.19!!

Also, MOST online catalogs have FREE SHIPPING when you buy more than $49 worth of stuff.... not hard to come up with an order that includes 8 tubes of horse wormer, a bottle of flea & tick dip for the dogs, and some puppy wormer!

12. Wolf mom

Wolf mom Well-Known Member

As much as I can do by myself, including shots if I can get an Rx. if it's IM.

I comparative shop for the cheapest.

Preventative measures seem to be the best along with frequest checking of the animals.

13. stoneymom

stoneymom Well-Known Member

We do all of our do vet related things. When we first started out with the animals, I didn't know if I could give a shot - I am scared to dealth of needles!! I got over that really fast!! Besides the fact the it is very expensive to have the vet come out for even a little thing - we couldn't find one in our area that felt comfortable dr -ing sheep and goats. (We live in a big reg. cattle area and are basically the only ones that have sheep and goats.) I have learned alot by reading books and this wonderful site!!

We also buy most of our vet supplies online. It is so much cheaper that way and I don't have to make a special trip into town. It does take planning ahead for certain things so you have basic supplies on hand - just in case!!

Hope this helps!
    Myra

14. Hip_Shot_Hanna

Hip_Shot_Hanna Well-Known Member

Drs Foster and Smith is another good veterinary catalog. They sell the vaccinations (exception rabies) and wormers and other pet care stuff. I used to do all my own vaccinations for the dogs and cats, and when our goat had pnuemonia I even gave her penicillin injections.

Drs Foster and Smith also has a wealth of information (free in their catalog) on what you can use from your own medicine chest for your pets, and what NOT to use. Their website is pretty helpful as well.

15. homebirtha

homebirtha Well-Known Member

We do as much as we can ourselves. We get medication, vaccines, etc. from Jeffers, Hoeggers (for goats), and Tractor Supply. Some things that are prescription only, we get from the vet and have it on hand if needed.

16. jersey girl

jersey girl Well-Known Member Supporter

Forgot to add this earlier.
    www.pbsanimalhealth.com
    they have a great catalogue and good prices on some things.

17. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

www.RevivalAnimal.com I think this is the best mail order catalog, at least as far as the tremendous amount of meds/surg items available.

I could never afford all these critters if I had to go the conventional vet route. Or maybe I should say that doing much of my own vetting allows me to have more pets! I have some experience working for vets (not much, but I've seen surgeries, emergency situations, and given injections under supervision). Presently, I work in a hospital, so that allows me the perfect chance to ask lots of basic questions. And I've learned a ton here at this site. People here have been so much help when I've had questions.

I can do IM and sub-Q injections, wound care, worming, tend to certain infections (respiratory, ear, abcesses), just can't give rabies vaccinations or spay/neutering. I've done some emergency stuff that still leaves me shaky just thinking about it, but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. You can learn a lot from the catalogs and online, and don't be afraid to ask questions.

18. noname

noname Well-Known Member

Merck has very helpfully put the older edition of their vet manual online at www.merckvetmanual.com It is written in medical-ese, but if you have a medical background it's pretty helpful.

I do most of my own vet work. My vet knows that if I'm calling her, it's pretty bad.

19. mary,tx

mary,tx Well-Known Member Supporter

We buy vaccinations for the dogs, and antibiotics and wormers, etc., for the goats at the local feed store. I have also ordered drugs when the feed store doesn't have what I want, and if it's RX, I've bought one or two things from the vet. We also buy syringes at the feed store. I don't mind giving the Subq shots, and DH doesn't mind doing the IM shots, so we're good.
    I've also stitched a goat when she ripped her teat going through the barbed wire fence. And I've assisted kiddings. The more you learn and do, the more you are comfortable doing.
    In Texas, at least, rabies shots must be given by the vet, but when we take a pet in for that, we just pay the $10 rabies shot fee.
    mary

20. starwalker

starwalker Well-Known Member

I guess I have it pretty good. My vet passes right by here to and from his office. He doesn't charge me if I ask him to stop by. I get any meds I need from him. Meds cost, no office fee's. We doctor all our aniamls ourselves with instructions and recommendations when we need it. ;) Have been for years now. I only take the dogs in once a year for a physical. I also have been battling Feline Luekemia for 7 years. I give injections and IV's when and if it strikes with an episode.