Do you answer the home phone???????

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by cast iron, Sep 8, 2006.

1. cast iron

cast iron Well-Known Member

I've never understood why some people insist on answering their home phone every single time it rings. Some folks will just about kill themselves trying to get to the phone when it rings. Makes you wonder, who's in charge, the people or the phone?

I'm of the mind that my phone is for MY convenience, not OTHERS convenience, so I don't answer the phone when it rings. I just let them leave a message on the answering machine which I check once a day or so. If the message is from someone I want to talk to then I'll call them back when I get a chance (again, at my convenience).

This strategy just drives some people crazy and I've noticed the "race to the phone syndrome" is more prevalent in the female gender for some reason. My wife used to be like that when we first got married, but after countless sales calls and what not she will seldom answer the phone these days.

We've had two occasions recently where we have had visitors that almost couldn't contain themselves when my home phone rang and I would not answer it. One was a contractor who was discussing some potential work with me when my home phone rang. I didn't move and continued listening to him. He was visibly antsy and fidgety as the phone continued to ring, finally blurting out, "aren't you going to answer that?". I told him that it would be rude to interrupt our conversation to run and answer the phone. He didn't understand.

Second instance we had a couple over whom we are friends with and were sitting in the living room visiting when the phone rang. The gal could not contain herself as the phone continued to ring. She was fidgety and clearly bothered by the situation, finally asking me, "aren't you going to answer that?". To which I replied that I was not going to answer it but she was welcome to if she felt the need. She bolted up from the sofa and almost ran into the kitchen to answer MY phone.

How bad have you got it? Do you insist on answering the phone when it rings? Do you know any "race to the phone" people?

Wayne

2. NCGirl

NCGirl Well-Known Member

I have sunrocket so Caller ID & VM come free. Sooo.....I look at caller ID and only answer if I WANT to right then!! Usually I don't quite honestly.

My grandmother is the worlds worst. She will get up at the dinner table to answer the phone. No one is interrupting MY Dinner, LOL

3. goodshepherd

goodshepherd Good Shepherd Farm

I have a daughter that lives in Virginia (14 hours away from home), a son in college 100 miles away and elderly relatives that I am concerned with health wise. Yes, I do answer my phone no matter what but I don't break my neck getting to it. We have phones in a couple of rooms and a cordless so they are usually near by. :)

4. stirfamily

stirfamily Well-Known Member Supporter

No, we don't answer the phone everytime it rings. We don't have caller ID or call waiting. I even hang up on people who are talking to me and then put me on hold to answer another call.
    karen in Indiana

5. RedneckWoman

RedneckWoman Well-Known Member

I run a lot of ads for different things I have for sale and whatnot so I do at least check the id everytime the phone rings and I am around. Not saying I always answer it lol. If it is a regular number I will answer, if it is an "unknown" or really strange number it can ring from now on (I really don't have the time for a sales pitch or a survey).
    Before my adopted mom came down with numerous breathing issues she would make a mad dash for the phone every single time it rang and would take the cordless with her if she was going to be outside doing something. Even still she will walk as fast as she can possibly go (which isn't very anymore) when the phone rings. Doesn't matter what time either lol. Dinner time, ungodly hour in the middle of the night, middle of breakfast.................Nothing stops her from answering her phone lol.

6. Jerngen

Jerngen Perpetually curious! Supporter

Ah! You've touched on one of my biggest pet peeves!
    I can't say it any better then that! Altho like NCGirl I do have caller i.d. so if the phone is right there I will look to see who it is. Still rarely answer it! :baby04:

7. Jerngen

Jerngen Perpetually curious! Supporter

:clap: Me too! If they were waiting for an extremely important call, they would be respectful and tell me beforehand. Otherwise don't answer the other line!

8. sisterpine

sisterpine Goshen Farm Supporter

I am afraid I am guilty of NOT leaving my phone even turned on most of the time! As we live in the middle of nowhere montana we have cell phone coverage only, no land lines of any kind allowed. I check for messages while eating breakfast and again after supper and that is all. I have children (adult) living 1200-2000 miles away and an elderly parent 1100 miles away who has serious health problems. I found that I was much more of a worryer (sp) when the phone was on. If something should happen to my adult kids they can leave a message ( I no longer run to the rescue). Should my mother take a turn for the worse or pass over I could not possibly get there in time to make any difference. My life has been much calmer (but then I am not a phone talker either). Really hate the week that i am on emergency call for work- nothing puts a dent in your private time like an overdosed drug addict deciding at 3 in the morning now is the time to get some help! I am not callous (sp) but morning is much better for me than the middle of the night if you want to talk me into doing something for you.

9. Pony

Pony Well-Known Member Supporter

I dropped the habit of racing for the phone when I broke my baby toe trying to answer before it stopped ringing.

Funny. I never did find out who even made that call.

Now, we have caller ID, and we check before we answer -- if we're even home at all. If we're eating dinner, having a conversation, or are otherwise occupied, we let it ring. We figure that, if it's really important, someone will leave a message, call us back, or show up on our doorstep.

Pony!

10. pasotami

pasotami Hangin out at the barn!

The landline I never EVER answer and it drives my husband nuts. I have a cell phone and those that know me have that number. It is also my business number and I will not answer it if I am working, they can leave a message. If I am idle I will answer but even my message for voice mail lets them know if they get the message I am busy and will return their call as I can. If folks really want to know what is going on or if they are worried about me - they show up or hunt me down!
    The last person I want to talk with is a telemarketer and if one happens to get through - I tell them to take me off their list and hang up. I have never understood those that let the phone rule their lives.

11. BellsBunnies

BellsBunnies Well-Known Member

I became guilty of the race for the phone when my son was in Iraq - once he got back state side the answer machine gets alot more use.

12. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Phone rings its dark,stub your Toe,Bang your Head,find the light,get to the Phone.Look at Caller ID,its your Daughter,what now? HI I just called to see what you Guys were doing this weekend.Was you in Bed?? :grump: I'm sorry.

Had our Granddaughter this past Weekend,her Mom used 70 Minutes on my Wifes Cell Phone,just to talk with her Daughter :rolleyes:

Life was so much better befor Electric and Phone.

big rockpile

13. Trixie

Trixie Well-Known Member

I do understand and a phone absolutely drives me nuts, but-----

My husband works out of the home and customers call - my daughter lives in NYC - right now we are away from our son and 3 grandbabies - so yes, I do answer the phone when it rings.

Oh, to not have to run a business and to have all my little chicks right close would be great - probably wouldn't even have a phone - but until then, I answer when it rings.

14. Peacock

Peacock writing some wrongs Supporter

Depends. I do rely a lot on caller ID and my answering machine. If I'm not in the mood -- not awake quite yet, or the house is too noisy -- I just let the machine pick up. But if I'm expecting a certain call I answer, of course. At some point you do have to answer it when it rings. Just think, if everybody answered the phone at leisure and let voice mail take every call, nobody would ever actually connect, they'd just keep playing "phone tag." :)

15. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

I don't have a home phone anymore. If my cell phone rings, I look to see who it is before I answer.

16. stars01

stars01 Well-Known Member

If I'm expecting an important call I'll answer, other than that, no. My mil was over one day when the phone rang and she got mad at me when we didn't pick it up. She said the call could be for HER! It wasn't.

Paula

17. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

My landline quit working several weeks ago...it's driving the kids mad that I haven’t rushed to call the repairman. If someone really wants me, they can call at work.

18. rwinsouthla

rwinsouthla Well-Known Member Supporter

We don't answer the phone from 5-8 pm every night Sunday through Saturday. That's our family time, devotional time, talk time. We have caller ID but don't even look at it. In fact, the ringer is turned off during that time. We also look at the caller ID and IF we want to talk to said caller, we answer. If not, we let them leave a message. Then, we will make the decision whether or not to call them back. Controlling yes! But it's MY family's time they are taking up with meaningless conversation.

I also expect them to do the same and don't mind it.

19. patnewmex

patnewmex Jane of all trades

I used to run for the phone until my husband asked me why I do that. Then it made me think that the phone was running my life.

But then I got rid of it! We now only have a cell phone and I totally love it. I don't miss having an answering maching which used to FILL UP with long useless messages from long-winded friends or sales people or folks begging for money for a charity. Phooey!

Most people in Hong Kong don't have regular phones, but have cell phones. That is so the way to go. They can even use them in their subway systems underground!

:dance:

P.S. And why is it that friends have to talk for ever and ever going on and on about why they called instead of just LEAVING THEIR NUMBER??? I never understood that. Who in the world is going to listen to all that blather? Why not just say "hey call me"????

20. Dink

Dink Well-Known Member

If I know who is calling and want to talk to them.If not let the stinking thing ring.