Do you age gamebirds?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by minnikin1, Oct 20, 2004.

1. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

We've just cleaned our first wild turkey of the season. I've heard that game bird meat benefits from aging the same way larger game does, but I couldnt find much info about the process on the internet or in any of my game cookbooks.

This mornings bird probably had too much shot damage to attempt aging, anyway, but I thought we'd try it on the Thanksgiving bird...

Calling all experts!!!! How long to age? Feathers on or off? Temps?

Thanks,
    Minnikin

2. LWB

LWB Well-Known Member

I have killed many wild turkeys and never have aged one. They all tasted good no matter how they were cooked. I do age deer.

3. srj

srj Member

congrats on the bird , i've never heard of ageing game bird's and personally never saw in any need ,,just wrap & freeze then enjoy ,when ready to feast on some fine eat's,,,,,,,,keep in mind wild is leaner than domesticated ,so will need more moister,

4. kabri

kabri Almst livin the good life

We do age our turkeys, in a brine in the fridge for several days before cooking. These were heritage breed birds, so very similar to wild turkeys, rather than the broad breasted ones. We also aged the few chickens we butchered as well with great results.

5. Cornhusker

Cornhusker Unapologetically me Supporter

I'd think that being poultry you wouldn't want to age it out in the open, it'd spoil too fast.
    We soak Pheasants in saltwter over night, but make sure it's completely covered.
    Everything else just gets cleaned and froze.

6. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

minnikin,
    If it's cool and keep bugs away from the carcass, it wouldn't hurt to hang it for about 24 hours to set and age wild fowl. I've hung wild shot ducks like this. They they get stiff to pluck afterwards, didin't matter much because of wax dipping them worked fine. I preferred the taste of the wild duck this way, but some don't.
    On a big wild turkey, I might do some plucking of the bird before hanging it. Just my opinion. As for the shot up areas, try to remove the bird shot if you can before aging. I have heard in UK the idea of hanging a shot wild duck for up to a week. Don't know about turkey, though a day in cool conditions after it's bled out, and I think I would eviscerate it as well before aging, just so it cools down faster.

Rich