Do ya really hate cleaning the crud from under the lawn mower?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Shrek, May 23, 2004.

1. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

I had to resort to use of a garden tractor to work my grass into worm feed for my stock here recently and hate scraping the crud from under my belly mower every two or three days. My solution was to get a can of store brand mon stick vegetable based cooking spray to keep in the tractor shed. Now when I spray the belly mower down and wash the built up clippings off the underside, there is a lot less to pry off. Using the non-stick spray on the mower deck prior to rolling it out of the shed to cut my acre of worm feed now keeps the grass build up on the deck underside at 1/16 to 1/8 of an inch every three cuttings , where before I often cleaned as much as 2 inches of crud off every three cuttings. Also the spray doesnt hurt the moving parts under there and its tolerable to my worms where petroleum based arnt so good. :)

2. boogeyman87

boogeyman87 Member

I"ll have to try this one soon I had to mow the lawn wet the last time(either that or make hay) I'm sure that will work great, thanx shrek

3. Gary in ohio

Gary in ohio Well-Known Member Supporter

A good silicon spray or pam or similar oils works great but you have to spray it on often to be effective. A good spray of water after mowing will get rid grass as well, but most mowers are hard to get good an clean without a lot of work.

4. You can also try a product called fluid film (http://www.eurekafluidfilm.com/home.htm). They use this stuff to lube cables on fishing trawlers. I use it on just about everything including the underside of the mower deck. Works great. The spray can features a “now environmentally friendlier” label so it is probably not the best stuff for worms.

5. fordy

fordy Well-Known Member

.............To clean MY snapper 1433 rider, I simply stand it on the rear legs with its mowing deck exposed and take my 2 pound wal mart hammer and bang away . The "Cake" that seems too stick because of the moisture content simply falls off and I'm ready for another 10 hours of mowing or so........fordy... :eek: :)

6. Janon

Janon 993cc Geo Metro

I can't say that I've ever cleaned the crud... every once in awhile the crud falls and gets diced, sliced and spit out by the lawn mower. If you take the old crud out, that just leaves lots of room for newer crud.

cheers,

7. poppy

poppy Guest

Can't say I ever cleaned one either. A few years back, my oldest boy and I both bought new husky riders. He cleans his religiously and repaints the underside every fall. My deck outlasted his. go figure.

8. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I have been considering undercoating my mower deck with the spray on bed liner product that is now on the market. What are your opinions?

9. BrushBuster

BrushBuster Well-Known Member

you know, i just bought a new husky mower the other day that that has a connection right on top of the deck to hook a garden hose to, didn`t even realize it was there until i got it home. haven't had a chance to see how it works yet though.

10. charles

charles Well-Known Member

Consider the grass crud build-up a safety device. It protects and cushions the deck when you run over the rock, wire, or kid's toys out in the lawn.

11. hillside acres

hillside acres New Member

We have used "Slip Plate" paint from Tractor Supply with great success. It is a Graphite-based lubricating paint. We mow 6ac with a Woods 5ft fishish mower and haven't had any problems in 3yrs. A friend had 2 mowing decks replaced with-in 1 yr; come to find out he was spraying his down after he finished mowing. Water got into the bushings and wore out the deck. My father is a mechanic on a golf coarse and they use the Slip Plate product there. We also sharpen the blades every week with an angle grinder. The blades last much longer.

12. chickflick

chickflick Well-Known Member

Ummmmm..... I have a little truck w/the plastic (?) (2003 model) liner. Judging by how well the damp compost stuck to it that I got the other day>.... I think I'd pass on a similar idea under a mower. But.... Maybe compared to metal??? Who knows? At least after I rinsed it out.. it was clean.. AND will not rust.

13. Cedar

Cedar Well-Known Member

Just prop the deck up against a tree and let the dogs eat it. Works for us...