Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday, coming from Ok to Ark, Barb was talking. She, like nature, abhors a vacuum, so she fills it with chatter.

She started telling me about some friends, the husband English. Seems they found some people from his home town and he wanted them to come over, strangers that they were--so they had them to dinner. And on and on, so I asked her to come to the point--whereupon she said "and they went home".

I laughed until I could not stand the pain in my side--there was no place to pull over, so I just had to keep driving.

When she came around, about ten miles later, she told me that the point of the story was that the people came with two articles they'd written and insisted on reading them both. About two hours. Like being trapped with vacation pictures.

By the way; I passed a line of cars and BAM, a rock hit the windshield and put a silver-dollar-sized bulls eye in it. $Fifty bucks down the drain.

T

·
0 Posts
My husband apparently cannot stand silence. He prattles, he chatters, he quotes commercials and movies, he makes cartoon voices at me, and when that isn't enough, he turns on a couple TVs for additional input. :eek:

I, OTOH, putter around the house all day in absolute silence. No radio, no TV. I can hear the clock ticking in the living room, two rooms away.

I think it is more in how one was raised, than gender.

·
Premium Member
25,214 Posts
Chuck, you get outa one mess nearly, and then try to stir up another LOL.

Ardie, Your just like I suppose most wives to be. Wanting to driver their hubby nutz lol.

Im quiet here by myself until Wed night, and Sun. I talk so little, that, when I do talk my voice cracks up after awhile.

·
mean people suck
2,532 Posts
It's not a gender thing. My 11 year old son talks non stop from the time he wakes up til he finally goes to sleep. He had been this way since he was old enough to talk lol. Watching a movie or tv show with him tests the limits of my patience sometimes lol

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Sometimes yes, sometimes no, but if I'm quiet and look at you sideways you are in big trouble! :lookout:

Yes, I am alone for so long at times with nobody to talk to that my voice cracks when I first start talking. Never had that problem before now.

·
Premium Member
5,472 Posts
When my ex and I would come home from work, our ritual would be to have a coffee, play with the dog, and talk about our respective day.
I liked that connection.
It was comforting.

Although silence while we did our tasks was equally comforting.
At least for me.

·
Conscientious Disrupter
4,246 Posts
...I, OTOH, putter around the house all day in absolute silence. No radio, no TV. I can hear the clock ticking in the living room, two rooms away.

I think it is more in how one was raised, than gender.
Yeah...it's all relative. You ought to have seen the looks I got when I told my sons about the refrigerator singing to me when it's all peaceful and quiet here. Inside or out, that's how I spend huge parts of my day. Pffht! How else are you gonna hear the world talking to you? But then, if you asked them, they'd say I run off on side tracks so much when we talk, it drives them crazy. You just can't please some people.

·
newfieannie
9,631 Posts
I could be wrong but they likely wont be asked again. I went to my brothers one time and they turned on home movies for hours. my poor husband was bored to tears. next year when we travelled there we passed on by. ~Georgia.

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
LOL, Georgia; One of the things I learned from reading was that only grandma and grandpa are interested in pictures of the kids, and they have limits too.

·
Premium Member
3,512 Posts
I am quiet, silence is fine with me. My last significant other couldn't shut up not for one second and the worst was he lived in the past as in telling stories from 25 years ago that didn't mean anything to anyone but him. Neighbors avoided him, strangers would regret be introduced to him. I tried many times to clue him in (in a nice way) that people were avoiding him for a reason. He never did get the hint.

My daughter could spin a story on for hours. Her dad is very quiet. I don't know where she gets it from.

T

·
0 Posts
I am quiet, silence is fine with me. My last significant other couldn't shut up not for one second and the worst was he lived in the past as in telling stories from 25 years ago that didn't mean anything to anyone but him. Neighbors avoided him, strangers would regret be introduced to him. I tried many times to clue him in (in a nice way) that people were avoiding him for a reason. He never did get the hint.

I think I dated him once, briefly. Very briefly. LOL!

·
Premium Member
5,081 Posts
Well, despite all evidence to the contrary on here, lol, I have lots of quiet time. :p I might go two weeks without uttering a single word out loud, but when I do talk I tend to chatter, and when I'm trying to explain something I can't seem to condense it to a few words like most of you do on here. I have the creaky voice thing going on too, and sometimes nothing comes out at first and I have to cough to clear my throat, lol.

I have been called a chatterbox by exes and also told that I never meet a stranger. :D But again, it's periodic, and I can be with someone and enjoy the comfortable quiet too. And people usually start talking to ME in stores, elevators, etc. I rarely start the conversations. Guess I just look friendly. :shrug:

I actually can't stand to be around people who never shut up, it makes me more and more tense until I finally have to get away and get some quiet! My DIL and her two kids all talk constantly, all at the same time, all at the top of their lungs. I can't even talk to my son on the phone unless he barricades himself in the bathroom, and then they're pounding on the door and yelling at him about something that could easily wait. :eek:

·
Registered
1,585 Posts
I'm with clients all day all week so some quiet time on the weekend is OK for me. I enjoy conversation very much but I do not like gossip. I also listen well and ask questions about what you've just told me if i didn't understand well, i will pay attention, however. I will not allow you talk for hours saying nothing but jabber and never stop to let me participate. No, that will not happen with me.:hammer:

Women so love to share, and I'm very happy to be that person to share with while I'm fixing supper, or having breakfast, but at breakfast time before any heavy conversation starts i need coffee in front of me! :thumb:

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
More than once, I've been ready to leave the house so I can get some peace and quiet! At times, my hubby just doesn't shut up. And, if he's not talking, he has on the radio and/or the TV. Normally, I don't have it on all day long.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
I once read a study confirming that for ever word a man
speaks, women speak ten.
I believe that's close to the fact . I think it's especially true
with young women. The ones that I work with surely don't
waste any opportunity filling dead air space with many words.
In fact, most times it's difficult to get a word in edge wise.
In a group you get drowned out by their wordiness.

It seems to stem from a need females have with verbal
communication often as a survival mechanism, as opposed
to men that rely more upon the image of a sort of strength
imposed by physical presence and silence. That, according to
observed studies .

·
Conscientious Disrupter
4,246 Posts
Those kinds of sociological studies are really interesting. Even when viewed from the much broader anthropological viewpoint. What stands out to me is that there are two kinds of evolutionary behavior happening. You have societal evolution and then the much slower paced, basic human instinct evolution. (Insert Toolman grunt here.) Where the speeds of each, and their place in any given time, are the most divergent is where you see the greatest controversy.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I can't shut up. I am deaf almost (aids in both ears) so least I don't have to listen to it. I have no idea if anyone else is saying anything. Smile and nod, smile and nod....repeat.

·
Shut the front door!
15,001 Posts
Ex FIL is like this......

I have people who come to the bar that I work that are like this.....they start talking to other guests....it's so annoying, and I feel bad for the people who are just trying to eat......I have had people get up and leave 1/2 way thru their meal, just to get away.
I find it very self-absorbed / arrogant that jabber jaws THINK everyone loves their stories.....you can't tell them any different either....cause they think EVERYONE loves them and their stories.....oy

My ex LOVED to talk about himself, and blather on and on about this sports stat and that sports stat.
He could tell you every little detail and every single stat from multiple sports, but he would have no idea if you like cherry or apple pie (even if you were his own parents, spouse or children).

My experience with 'jabber jaws' is that they are pretty in love with themselves and their knowledge and their stories; and really they don't give a crap if you want to hear it or not. They are going to spew it out anyway!!

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,437 Posts
If I have nothing to say, I stay quiet. The silence does not bother me; incessant babbling does.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts