Do whole nuts freeze?

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Tracy Rimmer, Jan 1, 2007.

1. Tracy Rimmer

Tracy Rimmer CF, Classroom & Books Mod Supporter

Being on the Canadian prairies, a good nut crop is something pretty foreign to us. However, we love nuts. Big time walnut, pecan, brazil nut, hazelnut, almond, etc., fans. Therefore, Christmastime with it's plethora of nuts available for relatively decent prices thrills me.

Right now, you can get them pretty cheaply, with the "clear out" sales after Christmas. My question is, can you freeze them to keep them fresh? I've tried to keep them through the year, and ended up with buggy nuts (really, REALLY gross!)

Will they keep, unshelled, in my freezer? If so, after I thaw them out, will they crack just like they would before frozen?

2. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

I've never tried freezing them UNshelled. I suppose that would work out all right, but I'm just guessing. Have you got the time & energy to shell them? I KNOW they'll keep just fine that way in the freezer.

NeHi

3. mzzlisa

mzzlisa Well-Known Member

I have 15 pounds of unshelled walnuts in my freezer right now. I have parrots and walnuts can't be found in June!!

4. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

nuts in the freezer stay fresh

5. midwsthomestead

midwsthomestead joy seeker

WhooHoo! I never tho't about freezing UNSHELLED walnuts and I(like you,Tracy)would love to stock up on them right now. I planned to just shell them all but just tossin' them in the freezer would be great!

~~

6. fitwind

fitwind Well-Known Member

My friend freezes her Pecans that she shells they stay nice and fresh...

7. Tracy Rimmer

Yes!!!! See? This is why I hang around here -- you folks know your stuff!

I'm off to the store tomorrow morning to stock up on Christmas nuts!

Tracy

8. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

Yep, granny used to keep her nuts in the freezer for long term storage.
    Figuring it was to keep bugs out of them.

9. Jenn

Jenn Well-Known Member Supporter

Tracy- two issues: infestation and freshness. Freeze them for a few weeks to kill bugs. THen if your nuts go stale unchilled (as they do in TX or AL where I do not cool house below 80 in summer; in fact some nuts come to us stale probably because too warm in transport/storage)- ie get a rancid off taste in them from the oils changing- keep in fridge or freezer. Otherwise you mihgt be able to remove from freezer after a month and then store. Unlikely that nut bugs are in your house unlike flour weevils so might not need to store in airtight containers- anyone else know otherwise? Guess ziplock bags are airtight though!

For me in AL I have dozens bags walnuts and pecans on my shelf; will use up or store in freezer/fridge by June to avoid staleness. Guess I better freeze (for a month) the bag of cracked pecans or I might find out they are buggy. Then remove from freezer at my leisure to shell/use depending on time and freezer space concerns.

10. halfpint

halfpint Well-Known Member Supporter

I freeze my pecans, walnuts, hazelnuts, almonds and brazil nuts - makes the brazil nuts much easier to crack as it makes the nut separate from the sides.
    Dawn

11. Pony

Pony STILL not Alice Supporter

Now THAT is info I can use! Brazil nuts are my favorite, but they are such a bear to crack!

THANKS! :)

Pony!

12. T.K.

T.K. T.K.

You can freeze them either way, shelled or unshelled. We have four english walnut trees and I do anywhere between four and seven bushels each winter. I shell them all in the evenings and bag them for the freezer. Mainly I shell them to reduce the amount of room they take up in the freezer. Then I give bags of the shelled nuts to friends and relatives for the holidays.

13. Tracy Rimmer

Cool -- I'm buying nuts today!

Jenn -- it's entirely possible that they came buggy -- but the feeling of cracking one open and finding those wiggly little... ewww! I've never had a problem with my dry goods and weevils here, but if the nut experience is anything to go by, I don't want to!

Freshness is also an issue if I'm going to attempt to keep them for any length of time. Not so much at this time of year, Alberta isn't known for it's heat in the winter months :D but come spring, the change can come pretty quickly to unbearable heat, so unless they're gone by spring, rancidity is an issue.