Do not let your children pray!

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Jan Doling, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

My DD11 and her sister, DD13, decided their grades warranted a puppy, which I said would have to wait until November as we have 2 camping trips planned where dogs are not allowed.

So DD11 started researching and said she either wanted a beagle or a Danish-Swedish farm dog. DD13 said she would name him "Bob." I asked, "How do you say 'Bob' in Swedish?" She answered, in a perfect Swedish accent, "Bob..ja ja!". So we began calling the mythical puppy "Bob Jaja".

Yesterday DD11 checked out a library book on "Living With Your Beagle" and proceeded to drive me nuts by quoting the dang thing every other minute. She googled on the internet and informed me that beagles were $150 to $200 whereupon I informed her that come November, we would be visiting the pound for a beagle-looking mutt. She said she was praying on the matter. Then she insisted I stop by the feed store so she could check out the kennels they displayed out front. Next thing I know she has struck up a long conversation with the girl behind the counter and gave her our name and number. Turns out the girl had just bought a beagle puppy and would check to see if there were any left....the owner called and said there were 2 males left and he was taking them to the pound the next day. DD11 "would just die" if that happened and "wasn't this just too much of a coincidence" not to be God answering her prayer?

By evening, Bob Jaja and his brother, Buddy had found a new home.

2. praise4him

praise4him Well-Known Member

Ahhhh, the faith of a child. That's why when I am sick I have my kids pray for me.
    The question is...why is it so easy for them to believe, so simple, and yet for us we make it so difficult?
    Enjoy your new babies!
    Blessings,
    Jennifer

3. coalroadcabin

coalroadcabin Well-Known Member

:D Two little beagles now have two girls who will love them and cherish them--how great is that!!?? :dance:

4. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

When I was about 10, I decided I just HAD to have a horse. So I prayed for one -- a dapple gray with white mane and tail, no less. Right around this time, through an unexpected series of events my parents bought a house in the country (had been in the burbs), and what should there be right down the street? . . . a horse farm, of course! And what did they have there but an older dapple gray with white mane and tail which I was allowed to ride!! Not my very own horse, but close enough - and better in a lot of ways!! Yup, ya sure gotta be careful what you ask for - ya just might get it!! Beagle puppies are so cute!! Bet your girls are sooooooo excited and happy!

MaryNY

5. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Ah Beagles got to love them.I remember a couple Beagle pups I got.Came home from work.Heard my wife in the Bathroom.Go in there,she was taking a Bubble Bath,here comes couple floppy Eared Beagles out of the bubbles.It was really cute.

big rockpile

6. Queen Bee

Queen Bee Well-Known Member Supporter

My dad had beagles that he raised and trained for 'rabbit' dogs, when I was young.. He was very strict and would not allow us to 'mess with his hounds'. Well, when he was away I would go into the pen (even though the dogs were know to bite some people), get the puppies and play with them. Then when he would take them in to the woods, he would let me go. Well, the puppies would come and play with me when We sat down, or when we crossed the creeks , they would cry until I carried them across.... I know he could have beat me to death at times but what child can resist those big brown eyes, fat feet and long soft ears.... :shrug: I can remember the smell and feel of those puppies... I hope you and the girls enjoy your babies....

7. tiffnzacsmom

tiffnzacsmom just me Supporter

I'm real careful about telling my dd about praying for something. Right around Christmas time 5 years ago we were driving down the road and she said she wanted a baby sister. I told her she needed to take that up with her dad, his girlfriend and God. Well, she prayed outloud there in the car for a baby sister. Come March I get a call from her dad, his girl friend was pregnant. Baby girl will be 5 this October.

8. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

Be happy she didn't pray for a camel or giraffe or something :D

9. suitcase_sally

suitcase_sally Well-Known Member Supporter

Queen Bee, are you by any chance my sister? I grew up in N.C., too. My dad raised rabbit dogs, too. He also told us not to play with them but as soon as his work truck was out of sight we would head for the dog pens. We'd reach thru the 3 x 4 wire, grab a puppy and hand-pass them to the top of the wire till we could reach over and get them out. We'd play with them all day till we saw Daddy's truck coming down the road. Then we'd scramble to get the puppies back in the pen and act like nothing was happening. OH! What memories you brought back! LOL!

10. Simpler1773

Simpler1773 Well-Known Member

My 13 yr old DD prayed for me to have a baby since she was 5. My husband and I were not trying, but not using control either...needless to say we got quite a suprise, I now have a 13 yr old and a 17 month old :D

11. jerneeon

jerneeon Well-Known Member

My son once had a friend over one bright sunny weekend. Come Sunday, his mother called to say she was coming to pick him up and the boys didn't want Logan to go home. They prayed, and it started snowing. When she got to our house, and they went to leave, the car wouldn't start. She called her husband, and he tried and tried (for a couple hours to get the thing started). By the time they did, the snow was whirling and swirling and 9 inches high. Blinding. Couldn't see across the street. They finally left, but used the husband's SUV to get home and ditched her car in front of my house.

12. halfpint

halfpint Well-Known Member Supporter

Sort of sounds like when my daughter got her rabbit. She told us at dinner one night that she had been praying for a rabbit. My husband told her the only way for her to get a rabbit was for someone to give it to us for free, and include the cage and all accessories. Imagine his shock when the next day at work, he was offered a rabbit with cage and accessories for free! He hung his head and knew he had to accept it.
    I think that part of the reason so many of children's prayers are answered is that they are really sincere, and believe it will happen. I think as adults we pray and hope but still have a lot of doubt.
    Dawn

13. longshadowfarms

longshadowfarms Well-Known Member

That is so sweet! Sounds like you need to put your kids on to praying for world peace! BTW, we need pics of the cuties (kids AND pups) ;)

14. ladycat

ladycat Chicken Mafioso Staff Member

That's why Jesus told us to be like little children. :)

15. Gideon

Gideon Well-Known Member

Happy days are here again--Well, for them anyway. Now when the new wears off you get to pet them. After they chew up your favorite shoes and knaw on the table legs. Puppies are super--------after they are not puppies---and house broken. We have a sole survivor of our black fice male. The others were stolen last week--@%^###* thieves. One of these days!!!!

16. okgoatgal2

okgoatgal2 Well-Known Member