Do most of you use a drum carder?

Discussion in 'Fiber Arts' started by billooo2, May 24, 2008.

1. billooo2

billooo2 Well-Known Member Supporter

Do most of you use a drum carder??? If so, what brand do you use?

2. MullersLaneFarm

MullersLaneFarm Well-Known Member

I have Patrick Greene Deb's Deluxe with a fur drum

3. Marchwind

Marchwind Fiber Arts forum Mod. Supporter

Southwest Michigan by way of the Northwoods of MN
    I have what used to be a Fricke but is now owned by Strauch (sp). There has been a discussion of drum carders in the May FAC thread Bill. It begins on about page 3, I think.

4. billooo2

Thanks for the tip!!

5. Corky

Corky Well-Known Member

No, I use hand carders and am going to try to use those big carding combs.

It looks easy. I was told that I will love them once I get the hang of them.

6. donsgal

donsgal Nohoa Homestead

My local fiber guild has an Ashford available which I borrow and use on occasion, otherwise, I have a loaned (thanks be to FalconDance) pair of hand carders which I adore. (Previously I had been using dog brushes, and it was exceedingly tedious and took an eternity(! LOL

I am currently saving for a drum carder, I have my eye on a Louet Junior or maybe an Ashford with a fine comb (for that Merino, I love so much!)

I would personally do bodily harm for a Pat Green carder! *sigh* only in my dreams, I'm afraid.

donsgal

7. ozarkcat

ozarkcat Well-Known Member

We currently use hand cards & combs, but are looking to get a Pat Greene Supercard maybe next spring if we have sheep to shear by that point. We're looking at it specifically to make continuous roving for sale - shetland, angora, possibly Romney and maybe some veggie fibers.

8. IowaLez

IowaLez Glowing in The Sun Supporter

Since 12/14 in Osceola, IA. Before that 6 yrs in f
    I also have the Patrick Green Deluxe model from 1988 with the fur drum. The PG's have interchangeable drums. Get the finest carding cloth you can, is my advice. I started out years ago with handcards and did plenty with them. But a drum carder really speeds up the process and allows for greater creativity. I bought my drum carder gently used and saved a bundle.

9. MTDeb

MTDeb Well-Known Member

I splurged last summer and got a Patrick Green Fancicard 3-speed electric drum carder. I started out with a Louet Junior which was great too, but I really like the electric.

10. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I have a Strauch finest doublewide, which I love. I got it last summer. I chose it because it's chain driven, and it's built so a motor can be added to it. Otto won't put a motor on for you, but he has instructions on how to do it posted on his website.

Up until then, I lock-spun most things, and used hand cards for blending.

Once I got the carder, I realized that I couldn't hand-pick the wool fast enough either, so then I bought a Pat Greene Triple picker.

I'm a veritable fiber business now!:rolleyes:

Meg

11. billooo2

Just wanted to say, "Thank You," for all the info!!!

12. rabbitgeek

rabbitgeek Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a Strauch Petite which comes with fine card cloth on the drum. Our primary use is Angora rabbit wool, with other fibers secondary.

You can spin angora without carding, but my lovely wife finds it easier to spin consistent thickness from batts.

I have used it to card some wool as well. I have used dog rakes and slicker brushes for wool before.

Have a good day!
    Franco Rios